PDA

View Full Version : Numerical Gaps in U. S. Aircraft Designations

Eric Moore
January 13th 04, 04:12 AM
The Jan 12, 2004 section of:

http://www.strategypage.com//fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTAIRFO.HTM

mentions the missing numbers in the U. S. aircraft designation system.

I wonder what other numerical oddities we can expect in the future, since
the services seem to skip ahead of the numerical sequence whenever they feel
like it.

Cub Driver
January 13th 04, 10:42 AM
>I wonder what other numerical oddities we can expect in the future, since
>the services seem to skip ahead of the numerical sequence whenever they feel
>like it.

Yes, this is a terrible thing to do to young American boys.

(Do young American boys still obsess over military aircraft?)

(I was at the Udvar-Hazy annex to the Air & Space Museum on Saturday.
I think if you added them up, the German, Chinese, Japanese, and
Russian children outnumbered the Americans. But perhaps the latter
were all at the Imax movie.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Andreas Parsch
January 13th 04, 11:03 AM
Eric Moore wrote:

> The Jan 12, 2004 section of:
>
> http://www.strategypage.com//fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTAIRFO.HTM
>
> mentions the missing numbers in the U. S. aircraft designation system.

I can't let this one go by ;-))!

The article isn't 100% up to date - e.g. there's no need to speculate
any longer about F-19, and the correct number for the KC-767 would
have been KC-42 (and not -41).

<plug>
If you're interested in the topic you might look at;

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/nonstandard-mds.html
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/missing-mds.html

</plug>

Andreas

Ron Parsons
January 13th 04, 02:52 PM
In article >,
Cub Driver > wrote:

>(Do young American boys still obsess over military aircraft?)

Those who decided to fly before they were of school age.

>(I was at the Udvar-Hazy annex to the Air & Space Museum on Saturday.
>I think if you added them up, the German, Chinese, Japanese, and
>Russian children outnumbered the Americans. But perhaps the latter
>were all at the Imax movie.)

Or were all in school being taught to be anti-war and anti-American.

--
Ron

Jim Atkins
January 14th 04, 04:42 AM
Hey- I teach in 29 Palms (junior high)- most of my students are either from
Marine or ex-Marine families. Nobody I know is teaching them to be anti-war
or anti-American, that's for dammed sure.

--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Google