PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
March 23rd 08, 10:20 AM
Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small part
of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in your
ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal part of
the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a local radio
presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where sidetone was
absent from headphones or headsets.

Mike

Travis Marlatte
March 23rd 08, 12:18 PM
It's not the headset. Its' the device it's plugged into. ANR or passive
makes no difference.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

"Mike Gilmour" > wrote in message
> Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small
> part of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
> headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in
> your ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal
> part of the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a
> local radio presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where
> sidetone was absent from headphones or headsets.
>
> Mike

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
March 23rd 08, 12:44 PM
Ok, thanks however the Lightspeed Thirty 3G has 'Personal Side-Tone EQ'
which seems to imply headset control in that case?

Mike

"Travis Marlatte" > wrote in message
> It's not the headset. Its' the device it's plugged into. ANR or passive
> makes no difference.
>
> --
> -------------------------------
> Travis
> Lake N3094P
> PWK
>
> "Mike Gilmour" > wrote in message
>> Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small
>> part of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
>> headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in
>> your ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal
>> part of the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a
>> local radio presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where
>> sidetone was absent from headphones or headsets.
>>
>> Mike

Thomas Borchert
March 23rd 08, 01:10 PM
Mike,

> has 'Personal Side-Tone EQ'
> which seems to imply headset control in that case?

That's just marketing speak for it having the option of enhancing the
sound that comes into it. Makes music sound much better.

As Travis said, the sidetone comes from the intercom/radio.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Peter Clark
March 23rd 08, 02:10 PM
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:20:22 -0000, "Mike Gilmour"
> wrote:

>Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small part
>of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
>headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in your
>ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal part of
>the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a local radio
>presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where sidetone was
>absent from headphones or headsets.

I don't think the sidetone ever generates in the headset, it's a
function of the audio panel isn't it??

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
March 23rd 08, 02:20 PM
"Peter Clark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:20:22 -0000, "Mike Gilmour"
> > wrote:
>
>>Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small
>>part
>>of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
>>headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in
>>your
>>ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal part of
>>the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a local
>>radio
>>presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where sidetone was
>>absent from headphones or headsets.
>
> I don't think the sidetone ever generates in the headset, it's a
> function of the audio panel isn't it??

It is apparently, therefore some audio panels don't provide sidetone.

Andrew Sarangan
March 23rd 08, 03:01 PM
On Mar 23, 9:10 am, Thomas Borchert >
wrote:
> Mike,
>
> > has 'Personal Side-Tone EQ'
> > which seems to imply headset control in that case?
>
> That's just marketing speak for it having the option of enhancing the
> sound that comes into it. Makes music sound much better.
>
> As Travis said, the sidetone comes from the intercom/radio.
>
> --
> Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

But there is no inherent reason why side tone cannot be provided
within the headset. It's got a battery and an amplifier, so it would
not be a big stretch to redirect the microphone signal into the
headset.

However, when the sidetone is generated by the intercom, and you can
hear yourself speak, you can safely assume that the other party can
hear you too. That would not be the case if the side tone is generated
by the headset.

Peter Clark
March 23rd 08, 03:38 PM
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:20:49 -0000, "Mike Gilmour"
> wrote:

>"Peter Clark" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:20:22 -0000, "Mike Gilmour"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone? (sidetone = a small
>>>part
>>>of your speech is fed back to your phones). I've used some aviation
>>>headsets with no sidetone, it's a bit like talking with your fingers in
>>>your
>>>ears, not too good. Is aircrafts sidetone generation an intregal part of
>>>the aircrafts intercom system? The reason I ask as once being a local
>>>radio
>>>presenter and maritime comms I don't know of anytime where sidetone was
>>>absent from headphones or headsets.
>>
>> I don't think the sidetone ever generates in the headset, it's a
>> function of the audio panel isn't it??
>
>It is apparently, therefore some audio panels don't provide sidetone.

That I can attest to. Some older panels I've run into don't, or the
sidetone circuit is busted.

Thomas Borchert
March 23rd 08, 04:00 PM
Andrew,

> That would not be the case if the side tone is generated
> by the headset.

Well, it would diminish battery life, of course.

Also, the microphone is powered by the intercom/radio through its plug.
Interestingly, the new Lightspeed Zulu has an option to power the mic
from the headset battery, since it can be used as a Bluetooth headset
for your phone and you might want to do that with aircraft power of.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Dave S
March 24th 08, 02:37 AM
Mike Gilmour wrote:
> Do ANR and other headsets usually provide sidetone?

This is not a headset issue. This is an intercom issue. And usually the
answer is yes. Most if not all modern (in the past 10-15 years) aviation
radios and intercoms have built in sidetone functionality.

Google