PDA

View Full Version : Wright Flyer's Secret Name?

James Dandy
January 17th 04, 07:24 AM
My aviation co-worker claims that the Wright brothers had a secret
name for their Flyer- the Bullam.

He claims that the brothers had nicknames for themselves when they
were growing up. Apparently Wilbur was Ullam and Orville was Bubbo or
Bubs.

Bullam comes from this combination of childhood nicknames, but the
Wrights decided to keep this name secret. However, a colleague of
theirs heard them refer to the Flyer as Bullam at least once according
to Mr. Know-it-all.

Is this true? I can't bet on it because I don't know.

James Dandy

Ragnar
January 17th 04, 11:02 AM
"James Dandy" > wrote in message
m...
> My aviation co-worker claims that the Wright brothers had a secret
> name for their Flyer- the Bullam.

Not so secret if he knows, is it?

Kurt R. Todoroff
January 17th 04, 02:07 PM
I found the following two sites while performing a Google search:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wrighthtml/wrighthigh3.html

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/pressroom/presskits/wrightbrothers/wbeufacts.cfm

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not compulsion.

Remove "DELETEME" from my address to reply

robert arndt
January 17th 04, 08:05 PM
(James Dandy) wrote in message >...
> My aviation co-worker claims that the Wright brothers had a secret
> name for their Flyer- the Bullam.
>
> He claims that the brothers had nicknames for themselves when they
> were growing up. Apparently Wilbur was Ullam and Orville was Bubbo or
> Bubs.
>
> Bullam comes from this combination of childhood nicknames, but the
> Wrights decided to keep this name secret. However, a colleague of
> theirs heard them refer to the Flyer as Bullam at least once according
> to Mr. Know-it-all.
>
> Is this true? I can't bet on it because I don't know.
>
> James Dandy

I would'nt bet on it since there is no real record of any other name
for the Wright Flyer. Some people claim that it was called "Bird of
Prey" as the Wrights had studied bird flight for some time. But if you
search that all you get is either Dumont's 1906 biplane or Boeing's
recent stealth demonstrator.
Other online sites are misleading as well. They claim that Flyer was
given to the airplane due to one of the Wright's pets- a dog... which
was true except the dog was aquired in 1908, five years after the
flight.
"Bullam" as used above would literally translate as "Baby William" as
"Bubbo" was what Wilbur called Orville as a baby and "Ullam" is what
Orville called Wilbur. It comes from "Jullum"- German for William.
Interesting, but unless you/he gives us a reference for that name it's
just speculation.

Rob

Google