PDA

View Full Version : Re: Does an F15E carry AGM88(HARM) missiles?

Tetsuji Rai
January 30th 04, 03:13 AM
Thank you. Then I can understand it.

"fudog50" > wrote in message
> It can carry them, sure, for ferrying, but doesn't have the harm
> control box, or wiring to be able to control or fire it!
>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:27:33 GMT, "Tetsuji Rai"
> > wrote:
>
> >Title says it all. I'm playing a flight simulator, Falcon4. In this
game,
> >F15E cannot carry HARM missiles. But I have found a Japanese home page
> >which says an F15E can carry HARM missiles. So I want to know which,
and
> >if possible, how many AGM88s it can carry, and which hardpoints are used
for
> >AGM88.
> >
> >Thanks in advance!!

Thomas Schoene
January 30th 04, 03:38 AM
C Knowles wrote:
> I have seen a photo of a F-15E with HARMs on the seldom-used
> outboard wing stations but it was simply an eval for the Weasel role.
> Since the F-16 picked up this role it was not proceded with.

Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?

The South Korean F-15K apparently will have the option of carrying HARM;
it's part of the weapon package that went with the aircraft.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Kevin Brooks
January 30th 04, 04:22 AM
"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> C Knowles wrote:
> > I have seen a photo of a F-15E with HARMs on the seldom-used
> > outboard wing stations but it was simply an eval for the Weasel role.
> > Since the F-16 picked up this role it was not proceded with.
>
> Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
> serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?

TF-15A? I believe you would be referring to the F-15B.

Brooks

> The South Korean F-15K apparently will have the option of carrying HARM;
> it's part of the weapon package that went with the aircraft.
>
> --
> Tom Schoene

B2431
January 30th 04, 04:34 AM
>From: "Kevin Brooks"
>

>"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>> C Knowles wrote:
>> > I have seen a photo of a F-15E with HARMs on the seldom-used
>> > outboard wing stations but it was simply an eval for the Weasel role.
>> > Since the F-16 picked up this role it was not proceded with.
>>
>> Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
>> serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?
>
>TF-15A? I believe you would be referring to the F-15B.
>
>Brooks

The first few 2 seater F-15s were disignated TF-15A. I was in the 1st TFW when
the F-15 came on line and they were called that. I have no idea when the were
redesignated F-15B.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Brett
January 30th 04, 04:40 AM
"B2431" > wrote:
> >From: "Kevin Brooks"
> >

> >"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >>
> >> Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
> >> serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?
> >
> >TF-15A? I believe you would be referring to the F-15B.
> >
> >Brooks
> >

> The first few 2 seater F-15s were disignated TF-15A. I was in the 1st TFW
when
> the F-15 came on line and they were called that. I have no idea when the
were
> redesignated F-15B.

That occurred in October 1978

Brett
January 30th 04, 05:02 AM
"Thomas Schoene" > wrote:
> C Knowles wrote:
> > I have seen a photo of a F-15E with HARMs on the seldom-used
> > outboard wing stations but it was simply an eval for the Weasel role.
> > Since the F-16 picked up this role it was not proceded with.
>
> Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
> serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?

The pictures I've seen with HARM were on 71-0291. McD's demonstrator TF-15A
(F-15B) which also served as the Strike Eagle demonstrator.

> The South Korean F-15K apparently will have the option of carrying HARM;
> it's part of the weapon package that went with the aircraft.
>
> --
> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Kevin Brooks
January 30th 04, 05:09 AM
"Brett" > wrote in message
> "B2431" > wrote:
> > >From: "Kevin Brooks"
> > >

> > >"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

TF-15As

> > >TF-15A? I believe you would be referring to the F-15B.
> > >
> > >Brooks
> > >

> > The first few 2 seater F-15s were disignated TF-15A. I was in the 1st
TFW
> when
> > the F-15 came on line and they were called that. I have no idea when the
> were
> > redesignated F-15B.
>
> That occurred in October 1978

Which was well before HARM came online (1983). Though to be honest I never
knew that they once referred to the two seaters as anything but B (or later
D and E) models in USAF service (I was a kid near Langley AFB when the 1st
TFW stood up with the Eagle, and can't actually recall the use of the TF
designation, but that was a looong time ago!). Thanks for the historical
note.

Brooks

fudog50
January 30th 04, 06:17 AM
Pictures with a demonstrator carrying a HARM on a LAU attached
to a bomb rack only show that the Strike Eagle is capable of
"carrying" the missile. Was there any weapon system making it capable
of acquiring, tracking, targeting and launching associated with it?
As a former Prowler guy, HARM and SEAD is a very complex
mission, requiring more than just a platform and "weapon package"
associated with it.
ALQ-99 receivers are used on the EA-6B to "acquire" the RADAR,
I'm not sure what the C/J's use, did the Koreans buy the same system
as the C/J's use?
There is the longstanding arguement on which a/c is better at
SEAD, the Prowler or the C/J, which is debateable. But in the Jamming
mission, (both RADAR and COMM's) nothing comes close to the Prowler.
:)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:02:34 GMT, "Brett" > wrote:

>"Thomas Schoene" > wrote:
>> C Knowles wrote:
>> > I have seen a photo of a F-15E with HARMs on the seldom-used
>> > outboard wing stations but it was simply an eval for the Weasel role.
>> > Since the F-16 picked up this role it was not proceded with.
>>
>> Just to nitpick, are you sure that wasn't one of the very early TF-15As
>> serving as a Strike Eagle demonstrator?
>
>The pictures I've seen with HARM were on 71-0291. McD's demonstrator TF-15A
>(F-15B) which also served as the Strike Eagle demonstrator.
>
>> The South Korean F-15K apparently will have the option of carrying HARM;
>> it's part of the weapon package that went with the aircraft.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
>> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
>> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Brett
January 30th 04, 02:46 PM
"fudog50" > wrote:
> Pictures with a demonstrator carrying a HARM on a LAU attached
> to a bomb rack only show that the Strike Eagle is capable of
> "carrying" the missile. Was there any weapon system making it capable
> of acquiring, tracking, targeting and launching associated with it?

Doesn't Raython market the HARM Targeting System as being suitable for
almost any MIL-STD-1553 compatible aircraft with a RWR. The F-15E has the
ALR-56, and is I believe MIL-STD-1553 compatible.

Google