PDA

View Full Version : Quick Morning Question for SoCal Pilots-

EridanMan
April 26th 08, 04:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Bay Area Pilot, currently vacationing in Palm Springs.

I have a friend flying in later today (2:00pm) into LGB, I'm picking
her up in my PA-28-140. A Few questions:

1- FBO - Can anyone suggest an FBO that would be most convenient to
the commercial terminals at LGB? I seem to recall one that used the
same parking lot as the Commercial Building, but I was only there for
a layover a few years ago.

2- Weather - I've seen some pretty nasty visibility on the ground
because of the smog including one or two landings at LAX that were
clearly IFR in an otherwise CAVU day. The metars all look good, but
should I expect green goo anyways?

Anything else a bay area pilot should know about? I'm not
particularly worried about ATC or the busy Airspace, I have plenty of
practice with both basing at SQL.

Thanks guys!

-Scott

xxx
April 26th 08, 06:09 PM
Seeing as it's a Santa Ana day (strong offshore winds), the green goo
shouldn't be a problem today. Here in the valley it's CAVU and
expected to stay that way. The winds are forecast to die down in the
afternoon, so it should be a fine day for flying along the coast.

On Apr 26, 8:50 am, EridanMan > wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Bay Area Pilot, currently vacationing in Palm Springs.
>
> I have a friend flying in later today (2:00pm) into LGB, I'm picking
> her up in my PA-28-140. A Few questions:
>
> 1- FBO - Can anyone suggest an FBO that would be most convenient to
> the commercial terminals at LGB? I seem to recall one that used the
> same parking lot as the Commercial Building, but I was only there for
> a layover a few years ago.
>
> 2- Weather - I've seen some pretty nasty visibility on the ground
> because of the smog including one or two landings at LAX that were
> clearly IFR in an otherwise CAVU day. The metars all look good, but
> should I expect green goo anyways?
>
> Anything else a bay area pilot should know about? I'm not
> particularly worried about ATC or the busy Airspace, I have plenty of
> practice with both basing at SQL.
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> -Scott

TheSmokingGnu
April 26th 08, 06:37 PM
EridanMan wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Bay Area Pilot, currently vacationing in Palm Springs.
>
> I have a friend flying in later today (2:00pm) into LGB, I'm picking
> her up in my PA-28-140. A Few questions:
>
> 1- FBO - Can anyone suggest an FBO that would be most convenient to
> the commercial terminals at LGB?

The only one that's on the same side as the terminal is the Long Beach
Air Center; they have ramps but no 100LL (they primarily service jets).
The only other one I can recommend is Rainbow Air, but they're on the
south side and I don't think they have a shuttle. If all else fails you
can hail a cab from the terminal and make the two lefts to get there. :)

> 2- Weather - I've seen some pretty nasty visibility on the ground
> because of the smog including one or two landings at LAX that were
> clearly IFR in an otherwise CAVU day. The metars all look good, but
> should I expect green goo anyways?

Visibility is really only bad in the winter (mornings especially), or
when the rest of CA decides to burn the forests.

Take this from someone who is looking out the window at the tarmac: it's
clear as a bell here, 1734Z. Not a cloud to be had.

Be sure to take her out over the harbor at least once.

What's your callsign? I'll have a listen in for you on the radio.

TheSmokingGnu

EridanMan
April 26th 08, 08:38 PM
Awsome! Thank you, this is exactly the info I was looking for!

May I assume the fact that the winds here in the valley are dead is
also related to the Santa Anna Winds? You guys have some fascinating
weather patterns out here (I landed at PSP in 25g35@310.... I put her
down on the numbers and easily turned off By Bravo... Might as well
been in a helicopter)

I think I'll just fill the tanks before I leave and tank the gas, that
way I can do Long Beach Air Center.

This is my NYC friend's first time every in California, I figured LGB
and then a Cherokee flight up the inland empire to the desert would be
a wonderful 'California Immersion" experience

I'm 4261J, should be overhead in about 2 hours. Thanks again for the
info!

Regards-
-Scott

On Apr 26, 10:37 am, TheSmokingGnu
> wrote:
> EridanMan wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
>
> > Bay Area Pilot, currently vacationing in Palm Springs.
>
> > I have a friend flying in later today (2:00pm) into LGB, I'm picking
> > her up in my PA-28-140. A Few questions:
>
> > 1- FBO - Can anyone suggest an FBO that would be most convenient to
> > the commercial terminals at LGB?
>
> The only one that's on the same side as the terminal is the Long Beach
> Air Center; they have ramps but no 100LL (they primarily service jets).
> The only other one I can recommend is Rainbow Air, but they're on the
> south side and I don't think they have a shuttle. If all else fails you
> can hail a cab from the terminal and make the two lefts to get there. :)

> > 2- Weather - I've seen some pretty nasty visibility on the ground
> > because of the smog including one or two landings at LAX that were
> > clearly IFR in an otherwise CAVU day. The metars all look good, but
> > should I expect green goo anyways?
>
> Visibility is really only bad in the winter (mornings especially), or
> when the rest of CA decides to burn the forests.
>
> Take this from someone who is looking out the window at the tarmac: it's
> clear as a bell here, 1734Z. Not a cloud to be had.
>
> Be sure to take her out over the harbor at least once.
>
> What's your callsign? I'll have a listen in for you on the radio.
>
> TheSmokingGnu

Andy Lutz
April 27th 08, 04:42 PM
"EridanMan" > wrote in message
> Awsome! Thank you, this is exactly the info I was looking for!
>
> May I assume the fact that the winds here in the valley are dead is
> also related to the Santa Anna Winds? You guys have some fascinating
> weather patterns out here (I landed at PSP in 25g35@310.... I put her
> down on the numbers and easily turned off By Bravo... Might as well
> been in a helicopter)

The winds in the Banning Pass can be E-ticket. Just north of PSP I've had my
flight bag hit the ceiling more than once. Enjoy

Google