PDA

View Full Version : Re: Feds Want to Equipe Gliders With Transponders and Radios

Alan[_6_]
April 29th 08, 01:41 AM
In article >
Larry Dighera > quotes the NTSB report:

> Before the
>collision, the Hawker had been descending toward RNO on a stable
>northwest heading for several miles, and the glider was in a 30 [degree],
>left-banked, spiraling climb.

. . .

>Because of the lack of radar data for the glider's flight, it was not
>possible to determine at which points in each flight each aircraft may
>have been in the other's available field of view. Although Federal
>Aviation Regulations (FARs) require all pilots to maintain vigilance
>to see and avoid other aircraft (this includes pilots of flights
>operated under IFR, when visibility permits), a number of factors that
>can diminish the effectiveness of the see-and-avoid principle were
>evident in this accident. For example, the high-speed closure rate of
>the Hawker as it approached the glider would have given the glider
>pilot only limited time to see and avoid the jet. Likewise, the
>closure rate would have limited the time that the Hawker crew had to
>detect the glider, and the slim design of the glider would have made
>it difficult for the Hawker crew to see it.

Am I the only one to question this? If the glider was in a 30 degree
left banked spiraling climb, we should be able to predict where it was
for several minutes prior to the collision --- it was spiraling in the
thermal, moving upwards. His nominal thermal airspeed can be looked up
for the model of glider; the actual value, and the rate of climb can
be determined from the glider pilot.

Since the jet was flying in a straight line (rate of descent, if any
can be found from radar data), it should be fairly easy to figure where
the glider was in the field of view of the jet pilots. As the glider
was probably moving about 50 kt, and the jet was reported at 300 kt, the
glider would have been within no more than about 9 degrees from directly
ahead of the jet.

The glider didn't jump in front of the jet.

I guess the NTSB did not want to do this calculation.

Alan

Eric Greenwell
April 29th 08, 03:03 AM
Alan wrote:
Likewise, the
>> closure rate would have limited the time that the Hawker crew had to
>> detect the glider, and the slim design of the glider would have made
>> it difficult for the Hawker crew to see it.
>

> Am I the only one to question this? If the glider was in a 30 degree
> left banked spiraling climb, we should be able to predict where it was
> for several minutes prior to the collision --- it was spiraling in the
> thermal, moving upwards. His nominal thermal airspeed can be looked up
> for the model of glider; the actual value, and the rate of climb can
> be determined from the glider pilot.
>
> Since the jet was flying in a straight line (rate of descent, if any
> can be found from radar data), it should be fairly easy to figure where
> the glider was in the field of view of the jet pilots. As the glider
> was probably moving about 50 kt, and the jet was reported at 300 kt, the
> glider would have been within no more than about 9 degrees from directly
> ahead of the jet.
>
> The glider didn't jump in front of the jet.
>
> I guess the NTSB did not want to do this calculation.

Lets cut the NTSB (and the Hawker pilots) some slack: sometimes *I*
can't spot a glider that is only a mile or two away, even though we're
talking to each other, and sometimes, he doesn't see me either! And we
aren't closing at 300 knots, maybe not closing at all.

It's not just gliders, but the small GA aircraft, too. I'm much more
aware of this since I got a Zaon MRX, because I sometimes get an alert
but still don't find the airplane.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Larry Dighera
April 29th 08, 05:26 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:41:54 +0000 (UTC),
(Alan) wrote in >:

>In article >
> Larry Dighera > quotes the NTSB report:
>

>> Before the
>>collision, the Hawker had been descending toward RNO on a stable
>>northwest heading for several miles, and the glider was in a 30 [degree],
>>left-banked, spiraling climb.
>
> . . .
>
>>Because of the lack of radar data for the glider's flight, it was not
>>possible to determine at which points in each flight each aircraft may
>>have been in the other's available field of view. Although Federal
>>Aviation Regulations (FARs) require all pilots to maintain vigilance
>>to see and avoid other aircraft (this includes pilots of flights
>>operated under IFR, when visibility permits), a number of factors that
>>can diminish the effectiveness of the see-and-avoid principle were
>>evident in this accident. For example, the high-speed closure rate of
>>the Hawker as it approached the glider would have given the glider
>>pilot only limited time to see and avoid the jet. Likewise, the
>>closure rate would have limited the time that the Hawker crew had to
>>detect the glider, and the slim design of the glider would have made
>>it difficult for the Hawker crew to see it.
>

> Am I the only one to question this? If the glider was in a 30 degree
>left banked spiraling climb, we should be able to predict where it was
>for several minutes prior to the collision --- it was spiraling in the
>thermal, moving upwards. His nominal thermal airspeed can be looked up
>for the model of glider; the actual value, and the rate of climb can
>be determined from the glider pilot.
>
> Since the jet was flying in a straight line (rate of descent, if any
>can be found from radar data), it should be fairly easy to figure where
>the glider was in the field of view of the jet pilots. As the glider
>was probably moving about 50 kt, and the jet was reported at 300 kt, the
>glider would have been within no more than about 9 degrees from directly
>ahead of the jet.
>
> The glider didn't jump in front of the jet.
>
> I guess the NTSB did not want to do this calculation.
>
> Alan

Perhaps the accident investigators were incapable of doing it.

At any rate, even a high aspect ratio glider with minimal frontal area
presents a rather significant silhouette when wing-up in a bank if it
is seen against contrasting background (unless it is head-on). Perhaps
gliders should be fitted with rotating beacon lights in addition to
transponders. :-)

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
May 1st 08, 03:30 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message

> At any rate, even a high aspect ratio glider with minimal frontal area
> presents a rather significant silhouette when wing-up in a bank if it
> is seen against contrasting background (unless it is head-on). Perhaps
> gliders should be fitted with rotating beacon lights in addition to
> transponders. :-)

If seen against a contrasting background, that is key.

Google