PDA

View Full Version : GPS for PDA

Morten Wartou
May 20th 08, 06:42 PM
Hi!

I recently bought a Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS receiver to be used with my
PDA. It sort of works - but has one "minor" problem - when I curve, it often
can't acquire good signal and gets really confused. Ofcourse I could just
avoid curving, but living in a very flat country, it's the only way I can
stay up. :)

Has anyone else had these kind of problems with the M-1200?

Any suggestions for a GPS receiver (preferrably bluetooth, but CF could be a
possibility)? I like the M-1200's ability to do 5 updates/sec. and I'd like
the new one to do that too.

Best regards,

Morten Wartou

Cats
May 20th 08, 07:27 PM
On May 20, 6:42*pm, "Morten Wartou" >
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently bought a Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS receiver to be used with my
> PDA. It sort of works - but has one "minor" problem - when I curve, it often
> can't acquire good signal and gets really confused. Ofcourse I could just
> avoid curving, but living in a very flat country, it's the only way I can
> stay up. :)
>
> Has anyone else had these kind of problems with the M-1200?
>
> Any suggestions for a GPS receiver (preferrably bluetooth, but CF could be a
> possibility)? I like the M-1200's ability to do 5 updates/sec. and I'd like
> the new one to do that too.

You could experiment with where you put the bluetooth GPS in the
glider. Or, if you use a data logger you could see about taking a
feed from that to the PDA - that will mean that you can be absolutely
sure that your trace won't include any airspace infringements!
However you might well not get 5 updates/second going down that route.

brianDG303
May 20th 08, 07:41 PM
On May 20, 11:27 am, Cats > wrote:
> On May 20, 6:42 pm, "Morten Wartou" >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>
> > I recently bought a Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS receiver to be used with my
> > PDA. It sort of works - but has one "minor" problem - when I curve, it often
> > can't acquire good signal and gets really confused. Ofcourse I could just
> > avoid curving, but living in a very flat country, it's the only way I can
> > stay up. :)
>
> > Has anyone else had these kind of problems with the M-1200?
>
> > Any suggestions for a GPS receiver (preferrably bluetooth, but CF could be a
> > possibility)? I like the M-1200's ability to do 5 updates/sec. and I'd like
> > the new one to do that too.
>
> You could experiment with where you put the bluetooth GPS in the
> glider. Or, if you use a data logger you could see about taking a
> feed from that to the PDA - that will mean that you can be absolutely
> sure that your trace won't include any airspace infringements!
> However you might well not get 5 updates/second going down that route.

I have great results using a 'freedom keychain GPS' into an IPAQ 3790.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/02/freedom-keychai.html

but I don't think the 5/sec. update is going to happen. Nice $100
backup GPS though.

Eric Greenwell
May 20th 08, 11:44 PM
Morten Wartou wrote:

> Any suggestions for a GPS receiver (preferrably bluetooth, but CF could
> be a possibility)? I like the M-1200's ability to do 5 updates/sec. and
> I'd like the new one to do that too.

Why do you like the fast update rate? It takes my glider at least a
second to even begin doing anything.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

May 21st 08, 02:23 PM
On May 20, 10:42*am, "Morten Wartou" >
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently bought a Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS receiver to be used with my
> PDA. It sort of works - but has one "minor" problem - when I curve, it often
> can't acquire good signal and gets really confused. Ofcourse I could just
> avoid curving, but living in a very flat country, it's the only way I can
> stay up. :)
>
> Has anyone else had these kind of problems with the M-1200?
>
> Any suggestions for a GPS receiver (preferrably bluetooth, but CF could be a
> possibility)? I like the M-1200's ability to do 5 updates/sec. and I'd like
> the new one to do that too.
>
> Best regards,
>
> * * Morten Wartou

Hello
I use a holux 1000 with good results on a palm PDA. I orderd a BT blue
with auto on and sleep, but this unit would drop out and go into sleep
mode . The 1000 works great I can pick up a signal in the house with
no problem. Jim M

Google