PDA

View Full Version : Future of DMAFB

Slapshot
February 24th 04, 04:32 PM
Any news floating around out there regarding the future of Davis-Monthan?
With the A-10's slated to be retired, local media has mentioned that it will
become an F-22 base in the next few years. However, I can find no follow up
information to confirm this.

Also have heard that the EC-130's will be going elsewhere.

Closure seems unlikely, however it is one of the bases greatly effected by
urban sprawl as Tucson now totally surrounds the base to within a few meters
in some areas.

How would AMARC factor into a closure decision? Would AMARC stick around as
a seperate installation? Would seem nigh impossible, if not rather idiotic,
to move AMARC in any fashion, given the sheer number of aircraft out there.

Paul

Tex Houston
February 24th 04, 04:52 PM
"Slapshot" > wrote in message
> Any news floating around out there regarding the future of Davis-Monthan?

> Also have heard that the EC-130's will be going elsewhere.
>
> Paul

Since the EC-130Hs are not assigned to the 355th but are tenant it would
seem they would prime candidates for relocation.

Tex

R Haskin
February 25th 04, 12:03 AM
A-10's slated to be retired??

The latest speech from the SECAF says this:

"So, we will cull from the A-10 force some as yet to be determined number of
aircraft in the best condition for sensor system upgrades, re-enginning, and
service life extension to bridge the force to the new F-35 CAS fleet."

Ref :http://www.af.mil/speech/speech.asp?speechID=64

That doesn't sound to me like an intent to retire the Hog anytime soon.

"Slapshot" > wrote in message
> Any news floating around out there regarding the future of Davis-Monthan?
> With the A-10's slated to be retired, local media has mentioned that it
will
> become an F-22 base in the next few years. However, I can find no follow
up
> information to confirm this.
>
> Also have heard that the EC-130's will be going elsewhere.
>
> Closure seems unlikely, however it is one of the bases greatly effected by
> urban sprawl as Tucson now totally surrounds the base to within a few
meters
> in some areas.
>
> How would AMARC factor into a closure decision? Would AMARC stick around
as
> a seperate installation? Would seem nigh impossible, if not rather
idiotic,
> to move AMARC in any fashion, given the sheer number of aircraft out
there.

> Paul

Google