PDA

View Full Version : F-101 IR Target Seeker Head.

Ed Majden
March 6th 04, 10:44 PM
Anyone need an IR target seeker head from a Voodoo for your collection?
;-) Stumbled across this on the web! Just what every military enthusiast
needs, eh!

Infrared Receiver P/N 463767-110, FSN 12709541589
$ 600.00 US Please visit: www.torontosurplus.com for further details.
This unit was used on the F-101 Voodoo aircraft as part of their aircraft
fire control system when firing missiles at enemy aircraft. It has a
thermally cooled detector inside and two rate gyros on a gimbled platform.
If you strip this unit down it makes a nice gyro stabilized platform for
standard cameras. No electronics is inside the unit other than a
pre-amplifier for the detector assembly.
The globe that you see on the outside is 1/4" thick germanium and is quite
expensive.
There are other germanium filters inside as well as some optics.
$ 600.00 US

WaltBJ
March 7th 04, 04:12 AM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message news:<Cvs2c.723036$X%5.31840@pd7tw2no>...
> Anyone need an IR target seeker head from a Voodoo for your collection?
> ;-) Stumbled across this on the web! Just what every military enthusiast
> needs, eh!
>
> Infrared Receiver P/N 463767-110, FSN 12709541589
> $ 600.00 US Please visit: www.torontosurplus.com for further details.
>

> SNIP: I don't have 600 bucks for that jewel but if you need an infra red search and track system it's a good one. You do need a liquid nitrogen source to cool it down and increase the sensitivity. Or you could just set it out in the garden as a small 'gaze ball'.
Walt BJ

Ed Majden
March 7th 04, 07:03 AM
"WaltBJ" >
> > Infrared Receiver P/N 463767-110, FSN 12709541589
> > SNIP: I don't have 600 bucks for that jewel but if you need an infra red
search and track system it's a good one. You do need a liquid nitrogen
source to cool it down and increase the sensitivity. Or you could just set
it out in the garden as a small 'gaze ball'.

Walt BJ
I know all about this system. Worked on the CF101 Voodoo for several
years and retired the darned thing at CFB Comox. This was part of the
MG13IIP system.
Ed

Mike Marron
March 7th 04, 02:32 PM
>"Ed Majden" > wrote:

>I know all about this system. Worked on the CF101 Voodoo for several
>years and retired the darned thing at CFB Comox.

And it's been nothing but downhill for the RCAF ever since....

Ed Majden
March 7th 04, 05:42 PM
"Mike Marron" >
> And it's been nothing but downhill for the RCAF ever since....

You sure have that right Mike. There is an election in the air and all
kinds of promises are being made for new spending. Note, I said "PROMISES"!
I'll believe it when I see it! The newest procurement has been two luxury
Challenger jets used as taxies by the politicians. Just shows you where
their priorities lie! Most of the air fleet needs replacement and
up-grading. The Herc C-130, the Aurora, the Buffalo, the Sea King, CF-18.
We are replacing SAR choppers with the Cormorant but from what I read in the
papers they are having teething problems. The Army and the Navy are even in
worse shape.
It's going to cost BIG bucks and many years to do this if Canada wants to
maintain an effective, even a small military. At least there is some public
support out there after many years of indifference! Sure glad I'm retired.
Ed

Ed Majden
March 7th 04, 06:09 PM
> "Mike Marron" >
> > And it's been nothing but downhill for the RCAF ever since....

Just an add on Mike.

End of WWII - ~1 million in uniform - population approx 12 million
1958 - RCAF around 51,000 - total three services around 110,000 -
population ~20 million.
1966 - Amalgamation of the three services into the CAF!

Today - Canadian Forces - between 50-58,000 estimated
- population around 33 million.

Good thing we are under the US umbrella! It's time we held up our end!

Tarver Engineering
March 7th 04, 06:28 PM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message
> > "Mike Marron" >
> > > And it's been nothing but downhill for the RCAF ever since....
> > >
> Just an add on Mike.
>
> End of WWII - ~1 million in uniform - population approx 12 million
> 1958 - RCAF around 51,000 - total three services around 110,000 -
> population ~20 million.
> 1966 - Amalgamation of the three services into the CAF!
>
> Today - Canadian Forces - between 50-58,000 estimated
> - population around 33 million.
>
> Good thing we are under the US umbrella! It's time we held up our end!

Or started paying US taxes under protectorate status.

Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.

Ed Majden
March 7th 04, 06:43 PM
"Tarver Engineering" >
> Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.

Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At least
in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned away
at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card. You
won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA under
your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military aviation
newsgroup, does it!

Tarver Engineering
March 7th 04, 06:52 PM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message

> "Tarver Engineering" >
> > Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.
> >
> Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At
least
> in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned away
> at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card.

If a Canadian has a healthy bank account or credit card they drive South,
much like Canada's college graduates.

> You
> won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
> system.

Health care is already rationed in Canada, we won't have to do more than
point out the holes in the system to keep it out of the US. When AIDS his
Canada hard the
"managers" of the "free healthcare" system decided to ration breast cancer
treatment to pay for it. If a Canadian woman went without treatment for 6
months she could get a bus ticket to Vermont and care. After the
statistical evidence was there to prove Canada was letting women die some
additional funding was found, but healthcare is not a selling point for
Canadian society anymore.

> We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA under
> your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military
aviation
> newsgroup, does it!

Actually, I can get full coverage for a family of 6 for less than $500 and a
$2000 deductable. I would pay three times that as a Canadian, except for
the deductable. Too bad for me if my family's illness is not politically
correct in Canada that year.

Dom Sasco
March 7th 04, 09:50 PM
I'll still take our system over yours anyday.

Tarver Engineering wrote:

>"Ed Majden" > wrote in message
>

>>"Tarver Engineering" >
>>

>>>Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.
>>>

>> Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At
>>

>least
>

>>in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned away
>>at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card.
>>

>If a Canadian has a healthy bank account or credit card they drive South,
>much like Canada's college graduates.
>

>>You
>>won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
>>system.
>>

>Health care is already rationed in Canada, we won't have to do more than
>point out the holes in the system to keep it out of the US. When AIDS his
>Canada hard the
>"managers" of the "free healthcare" system decided to ration breast cancer
>treatment to pay for it. If a Canadian woman went without treatment for 6
>months she could get a bus ticket to Vermont and care. After the
>statistical evidence was there to prove Canada was letting women die some
>additional funding was found, but healthcare is not a selling point for
>Canadian society anymore.
>

>>We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA under
>>your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military
>>

>aviation
>

>>newsgroup, does it!
>>

>Actually, I can get full coverage for a family of 6 for less than $500 and a
>$2000 deductable. I would pay three times that as a Canadian, except for
>the deductable. Too bad for me if my family's illness is not politically
>correct in Canada that year.

Tarver Engineering
March 7th 04, 10:09 PM
"Dom Sasco" > wrote in message ...
I'll still take our system over yours anyday.

The US rejected the Canadian single payor system in 1994.

Bill Clinton's political agenda ended with Hillarycare and he never recovered power; politically hamstrung for the next six years.

Ed Majden
March 8th 04, 01:10 AM
"Tarver Engineering"
The US rejected the Canadian single payor system in 1994.

What makes you think that Americans are always right? Your only 300 million or so! I think the remaining few billion on this planet also have something to offer, don't you? Thanks, but I will stick with our system also, even with its warts!
Ed

Tarver Engineering
March 8th 04, 01:30 AM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message news:kKP2c.743596$ts4.16603@pd7tw3no...

"Tarver Engineering"
The US rejected the Canadian single payor system in 1994.

What makes you think that Americans are always right?

It is a question of guns, or butter and Canada is not doing very well on either count.

Alan Minyard
March 9th 04, 05:40 PM
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:43:51 GMT, "Ed Majden" > wrote:

>"Tarver Engineering" >
>> Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.
>>
> Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At least
>in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned away
>at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card. You
>won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
>system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA under
>your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military aviation
>newsgroup, does it!

No, it doesn't, but one quick note, it is illegal for any health care provider in the
US to refuse to treat someone for an acute condition. And we do not have
long waiting lists for procedures.

Al Minyard

Tarver Engineering
March 9th 04, 06:06 PM
"Alan Minyard" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:43:51 GMT, "Ed Majden" > wrote:
>

> >"Tarver Engineering" >
> >> Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.
> >>
> > Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At
least
> >in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned
away
> >at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card. You
> >won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
> >system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA
under
> >your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military
aviation
> >newsgroup, does it!
> >
> No, it doesn't, but one quick note, it is illegal for any health care
provider in the
> US to refuse to treat someone for an acute condition. And we do not have
> long waiting lists for procedures.

The fantasy of "free healthcare" in Canada disadvantaging Military spending
in Canada.

There is always the issue of guns, or butter. The other posters might want
to note that it is medicare costs that Greenspan identified as the real near
term problem for the US budget. Canada is just a little farther down that
timeline than the US.

Ron
March 9th 04, 06:08 PM
>> Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At least
>>in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned away
>>at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card. You
>>won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
>>system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA under
>>your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military aviation
>>newsgroup, does it!
>>
>No, it doesn't, but one quick note, it is illegal for any health care
>provider in the
>US to refuse to treat someone for an acute condition. And we do not have
>long waiting lists for procedures.
>
>Al Minyard

When I used to do EMS flying, it was that way too. Once public authority such
as police, fire, ambulance, emt, hospital called us for a flight, we had to go.
There was no finding out first if there would be payment guaranteed. That was
an issue to be worked out after the flight.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Ed Majden
March 9th 04, 07:04 PM
"Ron" >
> When I used to do EMS flying, it was that way too. Once public authority
such
> as police, fire, ambulance, emt, hospital called us for a flight, we had
to go.
> There was no finding out first if there would be payment guaranteed.
That was
> an issue to be worked out after the flight.

Ron
I agree that emmergency treatment is always available, but what about
long term follow-up treatment? If you can't pay for the 50K operation, (non
emmergency), what happens then? What about the high drug costs in the U.S.,
the highest in the world. Your probably going to say that the drug
companies need the money for research. In many cases this research is
funded by governments but the drug companies make the profits. Several U.S.
states are shopping in Canada now for drugs at the peral of creating
shortages in Canada. Anyway, what the hell has this topic got to do with
the rec.aviation.military newsgroup?????????
Ed
> Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Tarver Engineering
March 9th 04, 07:08 PM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message

> "Ron" >
> > When I used to do EMS flying, it was that way too. Once public
authority
> such
> > as police, fire, ambulance, emt, hospital called us for a flight, we had
> to go.
> > There was no finding out first if there would be payment guaranteed.
> That was
> > an issue to be worked out after the flight.
> >

> Ron
> I agree that emmergency treatment is always available, but what about
> long term follow-up treatment? If you can't pay for the 50K operation,
(non
> emmergency), what happens then? What about the high drug costs in the
U.S.,
> the highest in the world.

Generic drugs are generally cheaper in the US than in Canada. Canadian
generics often run three times what they do in the US.

Ed Majden
March 9th 04, 07:49 PM
"Tarver Engineering" >
> Generic drugs are generally cheaper in the US than in Canada. Canadian
> generics often run three times what they do in the US.

If that is the case, what the hell are some U.S. State governments doing
their shopping in Canada for? Don't they generally shop for the cheapest
price? Anyway, this is my last comment on this topic as it has NOTHING to
do with a rec.aviation. military newsgroup!
Ed

Tarver Engineering
March 9th 04, 07:55 PM
"Ed Majden" > wrote in message

> "Tarver Engineering" >
> > Generic drugs are generally cheaper in the US than in Canada. Canadian
> > generics often run three times what they do in the US.
> >
> If that is the case, what the hell are some U.S. State governments
doing
> their shopping in Canada for?

The State Governemnts are taking advantage of Canadian prices for name brand
first run drugs.

> Don't they generally shop for the cheapest
> price? Anyway, this is my last comment on this topic as it has NOTHING to
> do with a rec.aviation. military newsgroup!

Only as it pertains to guns, or butter, and beurocratic lagess.

Howard Berkowitz
March 9th 04, 10:01 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:43:51 GMT, "Ed Majden" > wrote:
>

> >"Tarver Engineering" >
> >> Canadians have "free healthcare" @ $1500 a month instead.
> >>
> > Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At
> > least
> >in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned
> >away
> >at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card.
> >You
> >won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
> >system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA
> >under
> >your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military
> >aviation
> >newsgroup, does it!
> >
> No, it doesn't, but one quick note, it is illegal for any health care
> provider in the
> US to refuse to treat someone for an acute condition. And we do not have
> long waiting lists for procedures.

Not quite any healthcare provider. Specifically, emergency rooms are
regulated by EMTALA:

> 42 USC Sec. 1395dd 01/16/96
>
> -STATUTE-
> Examination and treatment for emergency medical
> conditions and women in labor

> (a) Medical screening requirement
>
> In the case of a hospital that has a hospital emergency
> department, if any individual (whether or not eligible for benefits
> under this subchapter) comes to the emergency department and a
> request is made on the individual's behalf for examination or
> treatment for a medical condition, the hospital must provide for an
> appropriate medical screening examination within the capability of
> the hospital's emergency department, including ancillary services
> routinely available to the emergency department, to determine
> whether or not an emergency medical condition (within the meaning
> of subsection (e)(1) of this section) exists.

In other words, emergency condition, which does not equate to acute
conditions. In practice, emergency is divided into emergent, urgent and
routine, and routine may be fairly flexible. If you have a cold, they
don't have to treat you.

Emergency room treatment is the least cost-effective way to deal with
chronic illnesses, especially if they don't get office treatment due to
lack of coverage. There have been times I've had to choose between
keeping the heat on and getting diabetic medication -- luckily, I knew a
physician that provided me with samples.

As far as procedures, well, yes. I waited a week for an urgent but not
emergent coronary artery bypass--and the week was to clear aspirin from
my system, which isn't even the current standard.

Of course, I had excellent employer insurance at the time. At present,
having been only able to find consulting for a couple of years, my best
bet if I needed a repeat bypass would be to find a research trial for
which I qualified. Otherwise, I'd be fundamentally out of luck.

monkey
March 11th 04, 10:55 PM
Guns & Butter. I don't know about anyone else, but somebody quoting
out of pre-university economics texts certainly doesn't impress me.
Luckily I have a life so i don't get upset when someone trash talks my
country's health plan (how much is the US spending on Iraq again...btw
it's too late it already IS the next Vietnam...) It would be great if
folks could stick to the topic though.
> > >"Tarver Engineering" >
> > >>
> > > Heathcare is far from free! Just check our income tax rates. At
> > > least
> > >in Canada everyones in the same boat and is covered. Your not turned
> > >away
> > >at the door if you don't have a healthy bank account or credit card.
> > >You
> > >won't get any support in Canada if you try and tamper with our medicare
> > >system. We spend less per capita on Medicare than you do in the USA
> > >under
> > >your system. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with a military
> > >aviation
> > >newsgroup, does it!
> > >
> > No, it doesn't, but one quick note, it is illegal for any health care
> > provider in the
> > US to refuse to treat someone for an acute condition. And we do not have
> > long waiting lists for procedures.
> >

> Not quite any healthcare provider. Specifically, emergency rooms are
> regulated by EMTALA:
>
> > 42 USC Sec. 1395dd 01/16/96
> >
> > -STATUTE-
> > Examination and treatment for emergency medical
> > conditions and women in labor
>

> > (a) Medical screening requirement
> >
> > In the case of a hospital that has a hospital emergency
> > department, if any individual (whether or not eligible for benefits
> > under this subchapter) comes to the emergency department and a
> > request is made on the individual's behalf for examination or
> > treatment for a medical condition, the hospital must provide for an
> > appropriate medical screening examination within the capability of
> > the hospital's emergency department, including ancillary services
> > routinely available to the emergency department, to determine
> > whether or not an emergency medical condition (within the meaning
> > of subsection (e)(1) of this section) exists.
>
> In other words, emergency condition, which does not equate to acute
> conditions. In practice, emergency is divided into emergent, urgent and
> routine, and routine may be fairly flexible. If you have a cold, they
> don't have to treat you.
>
> Emergency room treatment is the least cost-effective way to deal with
> chronic illnesses, especially if they don't get office treatment due to
> lack of coverage. There have been times I've had to choose between
> keeping the heat on and getting diabetic medication -- luckily, I knew a
> physician that provided me with samples.
>
> As far as procedures, well, yes. I waited a week for an urgent but not
> emergent coronary artery bypass--and the week was to clear aspirin from
> my system, which isn't even the current standard.
>
> Of course, I had excellent employer insurance at the time. At present,
> having been only able to find consulting for a couple of years, my best
> bet if I needed a repeat bypass would be to find a research trial for
> which I qualified. Otherwise, I'd be fundamentally out of luck.

Tarver Engineering
March 11th 04, 11:00 PM
"monkey" > wrote in message
om...