PDA

View Full Version : request for ideas on decoding jet jock slang

Jeff Crowell
March 10th 04, 06:18 PM
Hi, guys.

An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
stood for "Fighter Pilot."

Having known a few Tomcat drivers, I immediately
thought of a possible decode which is not very
professional or polite when spoken to or around
someone's daughter (but then, he IS a Tomcat pilot).

Anyone ever heard this one, or have an idea on how
to break it?

TIA,

Jeff

Juvat
March 10th 04, 08:18 PM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "Jeff
Crowell" blurted out:

>Hi, guys.
>
>An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
>Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
>The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
>regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
>acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
>as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
>stood for "Fighter Pilot."

Could it have been, "SFBAFP?"...**** for brains-asshole-fighter pilot?

Juvat

Ed Rasimus
March 10th 04, 08:22 PM
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:18:50 GMT, Juvat >
wrote:

>After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "Jeff
>Crowell" blurted out:
>
>>Hi, guys.
>>
>>An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
>>Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
>>The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
>>regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
>>acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
>>as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
>>stood for "Fighter Pilot."
>
>Could it have been, "SFBAFP?"...**** for brains-asshole-fighter pilot?
>
>Juvat

Since it is a Nasal Radiator using the acronym, I'll lean toward
"****-for-brains Air Force pilot". Clearly the Tom-driver wouldn't be
demeaning fighter pilots generically.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Harry Andreas
March 10th 04, 09:06 PM
In article >, "Jeff Crowell"
> wrote:

> Hi, guys.
>
> An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
> Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
> The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
> regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
> acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
> as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
> stood for "Fighter Pilot."
>
> Having known a few Tomcat drivers, I immediately
> thought of a possible decode which is not very
> professional or polite when spoken to or around
> someone's daughter (but then, he IS a Tomcat pilot).
>
> Anyone ever heard this one, or have an idea on how
> to break it?

Sure it wasn't SFB instead of SBF?

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

Juvat
March 10th 04, 09:51 PM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Ed Rasimus
confessed:

>Since it is a Nasal Radiator using the acronym, I'll lean toward
>"****-for-brains Air Force pilot". Clearly the Tom-driver wouldn't be
>demeaning fighter pilots generically.

Point well taken...since they refer to Hornet guys as attack pilots,
clearly the only naval fighter pilots are Tomcat guys.

Juvat

Jeff Crowell
March 11th 04, 01:53 PM
Ed Rasimus wrote:
> Since it is a Nasal Radiator using the acronym, I'll lean toward
> "****-for-brains Air Force pilot". Clearly the Tom-driver wouldn't be
> demeaning fighter pilots generically.

Perish the thought!

Jeff

Frijoles
March 11th 04, 08:39 PM
Frankly, I've never met an Air Force pilot that had "s--- for brains." Nor
have I met one who was dyslexic. Thus, I suspect a poseur under Ed's
by-line...

Jeff, I suspect SBFAFP is "standby for a fighter pilot." We'd have to know
more about the daughter to determine whether she or her father should be
offended. ;)

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:18:50 GMT, Juvat >
> wrote:
>
> >After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "Jeff
> >Crowell" blurted out:
> >
> >>Hi, guys.
> >>
> >>An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
> >>Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
> >>The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
> >>regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
> >>acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
> >>as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
> >>stood for "Fighter Pilot."
> >
> >Could it have been, "SFBAFP?"...**** for brains-asshole-fighter pilot?
> >
> >Juvat
>
> Since it is a Nasal Radiator using the acronym, I'll lean toward
> "****-for-brains Air Force pilot". Clearly the Tom-driver wouldn't be
> demeaning fighter pilots generically.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> Smithsonian Institution Press
> ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Ed Rasimus
March 11th 04, 11:57 PM
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:39:16 GMT, "Frijoles" >
wrote:

>Frankly, I've never met an Air Force pilot that had "s--- for brains." Nor
>have I met one who was dyslexic. Thus, I suspect a poseur under Ed's
>by-line...
>
>Jeff, I suspect SBFAFP is "standby for a fighter pilot." We'd have to know
>more about the daughter to determine whether she or her father should be
>offended. ;)
>
>"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
>
>> >After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "Jeff
>> >Crowell" blurted out:

>> Since it is a Nasal Radiator using the acronym, I'll lean toward
>> "****-for-brains Air Force pilot". Clearly the Tom-driver wouldn't be
>> demeaning fighter pilots generically.

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my non-dyslexic
transposition. Now, that I've been forced to return to the original
post, I recognize it for the troll that it must undoubtedly be. What
are the odds of TWO fighter pilots in the world, now teaching
political science in college? Virtually impossible.

And, what former fighter pilot teaching political science would ever
waste classroom time that could be broadening the student's
understanding of the political situation with old war stories. Yes,
clearly must be a troll.

But, correcting my previous trans-literation, and having looked at my
profile in the mirror after getting out of the shower this AM, I now
know that the acronym was "Soft-Bellied, Fat-Assed Fighter
Pilot"--it's a reference to fighter aviators who now teach poli sci!!!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

OXMORON1
March 12th 04, 12:19 AM
Re:SBFAFP

"Stand by fr a Fighter Pilot" was in use at least in the '50s. "The Great
Santini" was the first time that I remember it in common use, before that the
fighter pilot's ego usually enough to announce his prescence. :-)

Oxmoron1
MFE

Jeff Crowell
March 12th 04, 01:48 PM
Ed Rasimus wrote:
> Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my non-dyslexic
> transposition. Now, that I've been forced to return to the original
> post, I recognize it for the troll that it must undoubtedly be. What
> are the odds of TWO fighter pilots in the world, now teaching
> political science in college? Virtually impossible.

Damn! Busted!
;-)

Jeff

Lawrence Dillard
March 15th 04, 07:43 PM
"(S)ome (B)utt-(F)*****g (A)ir (F)orce (P)ilot"?

"Jeff Crowell" > wrote in message
> Hi, guys.
>
> An acquaintance has asked me to help decode a bit of
> Navy pilot jargon his daughter heard at a Poli Sci lecture.
> The prof is a former Tomcat pilot, and was apparently
> regaling the class with Tomcat tales. He used the
> acronym "SBFAFP" (spelled out, not spoken as a word
> as Navy types are wont to do) and told them that "FP"
> stood for "Fighter Pilot."
>
> Having known a few Tomcat drivers, I immediately
> thought of a possible decode which is not very
> professional or polite when spoken to or around
> someone's daughter (but then, he IS a Tomcat pilot).
>
> Anyone ever heard this one, or have an idea on how
> to break it?
>

> TIA,
>
> Jeff

Google