PDA

View Full Version : Hamas Backs Away From Threats Against The US

Dav1936531
March 24th 04, 03:03 PM
Of course, Hamas were the same people dancing in the streets of the Gaza Strip
on 9-11.

I think they spilled their true intent, vis-a-vis the US, with the threats they
made after the hit on Yassin. GW Bush should not allow them to walk away from
their threats now. Hamas is an enemy.
Dave

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (March 24) - The new Hamas leader in Gaza said on
Wednesday the group had no plans to attack American targets, pulling back from
retaliatory threats by the group's armed wing after Israel's assassination of
the Hamas founder.

At the same time, however, another top Hamas political figure said the militant
group would try to kill Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in retaliation for
the death of Hamas spiritual leader Sheik Ahmed Yassin.

The Islamic group had made veiled threats it would retaliate against the United
States for Yassin's killing, but it has rarely attacked American targets during
the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

But Abdel Aziz Rantisi, a hard-liner named Tuesday as Hamas' new Gaza
chieftain, said the group's militant activities were aimed solely at Israel,
which it has pledged to destroy and replace with an Islamic state.

''We are inside Palestinian land and acting only inside Palestinian land. We
are resisting the occupation, nothing else,'' Rantisi told reporters in Gaza.
''Our resistance will continue just inside our border, here inside our
country.''

Rantisi also denied reports Hamas now would join with al-Qaida, calling the
claims ''Zionist propaganda.''

The armed wing of Hamas issued a statement Monday saying America's backing of
Israel had made Yassin's assassination possible. ''All the Muslims of the world
will be honored to join in on the retaliation for this crime,'' the statement
said.

President Bush said after the statement that the United States took the threat
seriously. On Tuesday, the State Department repeated a long-standing warning
urging Americans not to travel to the Gaza Strip.

Meanwhile Wednesday, Khaled Mashaal, Hamas' overall leader, who is based in
Damascus, Syria, said the group's military wing would assess its abilities to
kill Sharon.

''I hope that the holy warriors can retaliate against this awful crime by
targeting the most prominent Zionist leaders ... including Sharon,'' Mashaal
said in an interview posted on a Hamas Web site. ''I hope they can succeed.''

For its part, Israel has decided to target the entire Hamas leadership. Israel
says Hamas has killed 377 Israelis in hundreds of attacks, including 52 suicide
bombings, over the past three and a half years.

Rantisi, who survived an Israeli assassination attempt last June, said
Wednesday he was not concerned.

''It's death by killing or cancer,'' said Rantisi, a trained physician. ''If
it's cardiac arrest or an Apache (helicopter), I prefer to be killed by an
Apache.''

Rantisi, 54, has appeared in public frequently since Yassin's death, but always
in large crowds that deter an Israeli attack.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians at a Gaza City soccer stadium cheered the
announcement Tuesday night that Rantisi had been chosen leader. One by one,
senior Hamas officials got up and swore loyalty to him.

Rantisi rejects even a temporary suspension of attacks on Israel.

Rantisi led about 1,000 people in noon prayers Wednesday at the stadium, where
Hamas has organized mourning ceremonies. As he spoke to reporters afterward, he
was surrounded by about 25 youths wearing green Hamas bandanas.

Also, several hundred women gathered in a mourning tent near Yassin's home in a
run-down Gaza City neighborhood. Many wore Hamas headbands, and some wrapped
themselves in long pieces of green Hamas flags. ''Rantisi, give weapons to the
women,'' they chanted.

Fearing retaliation, Israel has gone on high alert since Yassin's death.
Security has been stepped up throughout the country, and malls, restaurants and
buses have been empty as people remain close to home.

The Israeli military went on the offensive in Gaza and along the Lebanese
border to prevent Palestinian attacks. A total of four Palestinian militants
were killed in the fighting.

The army said that troops had killed two armed Palestinian militants who had
tried to infiltrate the Gaza settlement of Morag late Tuesday. Troops also
confiscated a bag of explosives. Hamas claimed responsibility for the failed
attack.

In the Khan Younis refugee camp, forces razed four Palestinian farms, partially
demolished two houses and destroyed a road linking two parts of the shantytown
during an overnight raid, Palestinian officials said. Early Wednesday, the
troops withdrew from the area.

The army said it had removed some brush and two abandoned buildings that were
used to fire on settlements. It said troops opened fire after being attacked by
an anti-tank missile and gunfire. No casualties on either side were reported.

Late Tuesday, Israeli gunboats opened fire off the coast of Gaza, witnesses
said. No one was hurt. The Israeli military said gunboats fired at a suspicious
object at sea.

Around the same time, Israeli helicopters opened fire at guerrillas setting up
rocket launchers aimed at Israel in south Lebanon, the military said. Lebanese
officials identified them as Palestinians and said two were killed and one
wounded in the Israeli airstrike.

On Wednesday, the Foreign Ministry withdrew diplomats and their families from
missions in the Arab countries of Qatar and Mauritania. The ministry said the
decision was precautionary and it had not received any specific threats.

tscottme
March 25th 04, 03:07 PM
Dav1936531 > wrote in message
> Of course, Hamas were the same people dancing in the streets of the
Gaza Strip
> on 9-11.
>
> I think they spilled their true intent, vis-a-vis the US, with the
threats they
> made after the hit on Yassin. GW Bush should not allow them to walk
away from
> their threats now. Hamas is an enemy.
> Dave

It's a shame they were alive long enough to issue the retraction.

--

Scott
--------

Chad Irby
March 25th 04, 06:52 PM

<http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000303.html>

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

tscottme
March 26th 04, 12:54 PM
Chad Irby > wrote in message
om...
> In article >,
> "tscottme" > wrote:
>
> > It's a shame they were alive long enough to issue the retraction.
>
> <http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000303.html>
>
> --
> cirby at cfl.rr.com

Thanks for the cartoon.

I wouldn't accept the retraction until the last member is dead. The
Euroweenies will accuse us of genocide if we even issue a harsh
statement, so why not get the benefit of the action if we're going to
get the blame regardless. We may get "lucky" and see them acquit
Milosovic the same year they elect Qaddafi or Saddam as "Humanitarian of
the Year."

--

Scott
--------
Hamas' "spiritual leader" Sheikh Ahmad Yassin ... has been sent to his
eternal reward. I hope he brought air conditioning. -- Ariel Natan Pasko

> Remember: Objects in rearview mirror may be hallucinations.
> Slam on brakes accordingly.

Google