PDA

View Full Version : contact terminology?

Paul kgyy
September 8th 08, 10:16 PM
ATC: airplane 67Z, "traffic westbound at your 2 o'clock, 5000 feet"

Now, if I see the traffic, it's "airplane 67Z has the traffic"

What if I don't have it visually, but it shows up on my traffic
display? I've heard stuff like "yep, got 'im on the fishfinder" but
I'm wondering if there is a standard "official" response?

there's also the thought that if you don't have it visually, you don't
really "have it" - i.e. the electronic display does not provide as
good separation info as actually seeing the traffic with your Mark 1
eyeball.

Mxsmanic
September 8th 08, 10:59 PM
paul kgyy writes:

> What if I don't have it visually, but it shows up on my traffic
> display?

"Negative contact."

It's good if you have it on your traffic display, but you technically need
visual contact in order to assume responsibility for separation.

> there's also the thought that if you don't have it visually, you don't
> really "have it" - i.e. the electronic display does not provide as
> good separation info as actually seeing the traffic with your Mark 1
> eyeball.

Yes, especially since TCAS displays are not very accurate in azimuth.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 9th 08, 12:27 AM
Anthony, can you cite a source that supports your answer? Of course not, you
never do, and your responses really don't matter since you don't fly and
never have.

You know nothing about traffic displays or how they work, and have certainly
never seen or used one. You have never seen converging traffic from an
aircraft except in your imagination or in MSFS, and neither of these means
anything to those of us who actually fly.

Dave S
September 9th 08, 01:00 AM
paul kgyy wrote:
> ATC: airplane 67Z, "traffic westbound at your 2 o'clock, 5000 feet"
>
> Now, if I see the traffic, it's "airplane 67Z has the traffic"
>
> What if I don't have it visually, but it shows up on my traffic
> display? I've heard stuff like "yep, got 'im on the fishfinder" but
> I'm wondering if there is a standard "official" response?

Having them on the 'fishfinder' is not an acceptable alternative to
having visual contact with the traffic.... IMHO.. traffic awareness
displays are tools to help visualize traffic, not substitutes for
fundamental piloting skills.

I have no experience nor opinion on true TCAS devices, for which pilots
are intended to obey resolution alerts without fail, and which are much
more sophisticated than what I consider 'fishfinder' material

Also, if the target is going to be behind you, you really cant
reasonably maintain visual separation. I was passing over Easterwood
Field (college station, Texas) coming home one afternoon. An American
Eagle turboprop was climbing out and didn't have me.. I had him, but his
climb profile was going to put him behind me yet not on a diverging
course. I told the tower that I would not be able to keep visual on him,
and the end result was the commuter had to level off for a minute until
we were clear of each other/ had a diverging track on radar (ensuring
separation..)

Dave

Dave S
September 9th 08, 01:06 AM
Mxsmanic wrote:

> Yes, especially since TCAS displays are not very accurate in azimuth.

You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
operational requirements of using one. TCAS is not the only traffic
display device out there.

Please restrict your answers to material you know about... maybe
microsoft flight-sim?

shywon
September 9th 08, 05:09 AM
On Sep 8, 6:27 pm, "Viperdoc" > wrote:
> Anthony, can you cite a source that supports your answer? Of course not, you
> never do, and your responses really don't matter since you don't fly and
> never have.
According to this passage:
When reporting other aircraft to ATC, the following terminology
shall be utilized: "Traffic in sight" or "negative contact." "Tally
ho" and other such phrases not found in the pilot/controller
glossary shall not be utilized. "Roger" shall only be utilized to
indicate reception of a transmission, not an "affirmative" or
"negative" response. "Wilco" shall be utilized to indicate reception
and compliance.
cited from http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation2/P-510/P-5100014.htm
the military apparently does use the term.

Or how about this? http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/PCG/N.HTM
states:
NEGATIVE CONTACT- Used by pilots to inform ATC that:

a. Previously issued traffic is not in sight. It may be followed by
the pilot's request for the controller to provide assistance in
avoiding the traffic.

b. They were unable to contact ATC on a particular frequency.
so anthony did not give erroneous information even though he did not
cite sources.

shywon ( Another flight sim pilot who does have a few hrs in real life
who is tired of the bashing every comment this guy makes)

> You know nothing about traffic displays or how they work, and have certainly
> never seen or used one. You have never seen converging traffic from an
> aircraft except in your imagination or in MSFS, and neither of these means
> anything to those of us who actually fly.

Mike[_22_]
September 9th 08, 05:44 AM
"paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ATC: airplane 67Z, "traffic westbound at your 2 o'clock, 5000 feet"
>
> Now, if I see the traffic, it's "airplane 67Z has the traffic"

Actually the correct phrase is "airplane 67Z traffic in sight", although few
controllers are going to care either way.

> What if I don't have it visually, but it shows up on my traffic
> display? I've heard stuff like "yep, got 'im on the fishfinder" but
> I'm wondering if there is a standard "official" response?
>
> there's also the thought that if you don't have it visually, you don't
> really "have it" - i.e. the electronic display does not provide as
> good separation info as actually seeing the traffic with your Mark 1
> eyeball.

As has already been posted, the pilot-controller glossary will usually have
the answer to these types of questions. Another excellent publication to
keep by the commode is the ATC order 7110.65. Although it's certainly not
required reading for pilots, it's very handy to have because with it you can
also see what may be coming next.
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/at_orders/media/ATC.pdf

For instance, when the controller issues traffic, and you have the traffic
in sight, one thing you can include is...

"airplane 67Z traffic in sight, will maintain visual separation".

The reason is because if you don't include it, the next instruction from the
controller might be "maintain visual separation" and you will have to
acknowledge that instruction. So it makes both of your jobs easier by
including it in your first response.

Personally I dearly love to use the phrase, "got 'im on the fishfinder"
because it's just one of those very cool pilot phrases that scores you
points with just about everyone. Everyone that is except the controller who
will find it about as welcome as a fart in church. The controller has
without a doubt heard it quite a few times so the novelty has long since
worn off and it conveys no useful information to them.

Mxsmanic
September 9th 08, 07:27 AM
Dave S writes:

> You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
> operational requirements of using one.

I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their accuracy in
this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the accuracy of the
remote transponder.

> TCAS is not the only traffic display device out there.

What other ones are there, and how do they work?

Mike[_22_]
September 9th 08, 12:37 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Dave S writes:
>
>> You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
>> operational requirements of using one.
>
> I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their accuracy
> in
> this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
> aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
> azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the accuracy of
> the
> remote transponder.
>
>> TCAS is not the only traffic display device out there.
>
> What other ones are there, and how do they work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye

Sam Spade
September 9th 08, 10:06 PM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> Dave S writes:
>

>>You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
>>operational requirements of using one.
>

> I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their accuracy in
> this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
> aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
> azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the accuracy of the
> remote transponder.
>

>>TCAS is not the only traffic display device out there.
>

> What other ones are there, and how do they work?

PLEASE REAL PILOTS: IGNORE WITH THIS PRETEND PILOT HAS TO SAY. HE IS A
GENUINE HAZARD TO AVIATION.

Mike[_22_]
September 9th 08, 11:41 PM
"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Mxsmanic wrote:
>> Dave S writes:
>>

>>>You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
>>>operational requirements of using one.
>>

>> I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their
>> accuracy in
>> this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
>> aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
>> azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the accuracy
>> of the
>> remote transponder.
>>

>>>TCAS is not the only traffic display device out there.
>>

>> What other ones are there, and how do they work?
>
> PLEASE REAL PILOTS: IGNORE WITH THIS PRETEND PILOT HAS TO SAY. HE IS A
> GENUINE HAZARD TO AVIATION.

I can just see planes falling out of the sky right after reading one of MX's
posts. I'm more concerned about someone who would think such a thing is
possible.

Dave S
September 10th 08, 01:05 AM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> Dave S writes:
>
>> You know nothing of the technical standards regarding TCAS, nor the
>> operational requirements of using one.
>
> I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their accuracy in
> this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
> aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
> azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the accuracy of the
> remote transponder.
>
>> TCAS is not the only traffic display device out there.
>
> What other ones are there, and how do they work?

Andrew.. I'm not doing your homework for you, so that you can then
pretend to know what you are talking about. And true TCAS does not need
any radar sweeps from ATC to do its job (thats the last freebee to a sim
pilot). If you KNEW what the hell you were talking about you would
understand why.

Again. You dont know. You are guessing. You are giving erroneous advice
that potentially can get someone killed if they follow what you are
saying as accurate.

Does that bother you in the least?

Sam Spade
September 10th 08, 02:00 AM
Mike wrote:
> "Sam Spade" > wrote in message
>
>> Mxsmanic wrote:

>>> I know that TCAS displays are mediocre in azimuth, and that their
>>> accuracy in
>>> this respect depends hugely on the design of the hardware on the local
>>> aircraft (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
>>> azimuth). Distance is more reliable. Altitude depends on the
>>> accuracy of the
>>> remote transponder.

>>> What other ones are there, and how do they work?
>>

>> PLEASE REAL PILOTS: IGNORE WITH THIS PRETEND PILOT HAS TO SAY. HE IS
>> A GENUINE HAZARD TO AVIATION.
>

> I can just see planes falling out of the sky right after reading one of
> MX's posts. I'm more concerned about someone who would think such a
> thing is possible.

Well, Dave S. sees it as I do.

So, you can be concerned about both Dave and me.

And, who besides you said the Maniac's posting would immediately cause
airplanes to fall out of the sky?

You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator" jock.

And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 03:59 AM
Sam Spade writes:

> You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
> the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator" jock.

Nobody learns to fly by reading USENET. No intelligent person ever believes
what he reads on USENET without independent verification.

> And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.

Few people with a correctly configured sim call it a game.

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 04:09 AM
Dave S writes:

> Andrew.. I'm not doing your homework for you, so that you can then
> pretend to know what you are talking about. And true TCAS does not need
> any radar sweeps from ATC to do its job (thats the last freebee to a sim
> pilot).

Nobody said anything about radar sweeps from ATC.

Transponders interrogated by TCAS do not provide lateral position information,
so this must be inferred by the local TCAS hardware, which in turn implies a
sweeping interrogation of some kind that can correlate azimuth information
with transponder replies or direct radar echoes. Current TCAS II systems do
not provide reliable azimuth information, only general indications of azimuth
that can be considerably off. That's one reason why these systems do not
provide lateral RAs.

> Again. You dont know. You are guessing. You are giving erroneous advice
> that potentially can get someone killed if they follow what you are
> saying as accurate.

No competent pilot takes anything he reads on USENET seriously without
independent verification. Indeed, no intelligent person does that.

> Does that bother you in the least?

Since it's your imaginative speculation rather than any kind of real risk, it
doesn't bother me. First, the information I give is not generally inaccurate,
and it won't get anyone killed. Second, only an idiot flies based on what he
reads on USENET alone, and idiots are not likely to survive in any case.

Dave S
September 10th 08, 04:24 AM
Mxsmanic wrote:

> Nobody said anything about radar sweeps from ATC.

Yes... YOU did....

....and idiots are not likely to survive in any case.

You've done quite well do far.

Dave S
September 10th 08, 04:35 AM
Mxsmanic wrote:

> Nobody learns to fly by reading USENET. No intelligent person ever believes
> what he reads on USENET without independent verification.

So that somehow is supposed to mean your obnoxious, unwanted, and
INCORRECT assertions are welcome?

usenet village are missing their idiot..

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 04:43 AM
Dave S writes:

> So that somehow is supposed to mean your obnoxious, unwanted, and
> INCORRECT assertions are welcome?

Your inference is incorrect.

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 04:45 AM
Dave S writes:

> Yes... YOU did....

Where?

TCAS uses at least one directional antenna. It is this antenna that provides
azimuth information, independently of any equipment ATC might have. The
directional characteristic required for the antenna provides very low azimuth
resolution, which means that bearing information on the TCAS display is only
approximately accurate, unless the equipment substantially exceeds the minimum
requirements for the system.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 05:02 AM
"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:

>>> PLEASE REAL PILOTS: IGNORE WITH THIS PRETEND PILOT HAS TO SAY. HE IS A
>>> GENUINE HAZARD TO AVIATION.
>>

>> I can just see planes falling out of the sky right after reading one of
>> MX's posts. I'm more concerned about someone who would think such a
>> thing is possible.
>
> Well, Dave S. sees it as I do.

And in this particular thread, MX was right and Dave S had to manufacture a
non-existent quote just to contradict MX and point out that he wasn't some
sort of design engineer when clearly he isn't either.

> So, you can be concerned about both Dave and me.
>
> And, who besides you said the Maniac's posting would immediately cause
> airplanes to fall out of the sky?

Because you described him as not just a hazard, but a "GENUINE" hazard with
caps added for emphasis on everything. What other inference should one make
from that? Are you now going to try and downplay what you were previously
so adamant about before? The best you can say about your statement is you
grossly exaggerated any threat he might pose and the worst you could say
about mine is I just took your exaggeration one more step to show how
completely ridiculous it was.

> You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
> the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator" jock.

Here's what you don't understand. After reading one or two sentences of an
MX post, anyone with at least a room temperature IQ should be able to figure
out the guy is completely clueless. Now let's assume for a moment they
aren't that smart, but still have enough neurons firing to fly an actual
aircraft even as a student pilot (which is quite a stretch to begin with,
but lets go way out on a limb for the sake of argument). If they choose to
base their decision making skills on what a person with no proven
credentials whatsoever writes on friggin usenet, then they have FAR bigger
problems than MX could ever create. In fact, their chain is made of dental
floss to begin with.

> And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 05:04 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Sam Spade writes:
>
>> You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
>> the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator" jock.
>
> Nobody learns to fly by reading USENET. No intelligent person ever
> believes
> what he reads on USENET without independent verification.
>
>> And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.
>
> Few people with a correctly configured sim call it a game.

This is correct. A toy is far more descriptive. A game implies there's
something to win or lose.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 05:06 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Dave S writes:
>
>> Yes... YOU did....
>
> Where?
>
> TCAS uses at least one directional antenna. It is this antenna that
> provides
> azimuth information, independently of any equipment ATC might have. The
> directional characteristic required for the antenna provides very low
> azimuth
> resolution, which means that bearing information on the TCAS display is
> only
> approximately accurate, unless the equipment substantially exceeds the
> minimum
> requirements for the system.

This is more or less correct. TCAS is also inaccurate in range compared to
a ground based sensor.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 10th 08, 12:47 PM
His inference is actually quite correct. You do not fly, have never flown,
and easily could have looked up how the various traffic alerting systems
work.
Yet, you make blanket unsubstantiated statements that are not based on
either knowledge or experience.
The responses that you elicit simply point out the fact that you are not a
pilot and have no knowledge or experience flying or working with avionics.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 10th 08, 12:51 PM
Before we continue with Anthony, let's all remember that will never admit he
is incorrect or has made a misstatement. Bottom line is that he has never,
ever flown with TCAS, TIS, ADS-B, or for that matter a Narco Mark 12.

Rather than argue minor points, why bother since he has no experience with
any of these systems and wouldn't even know how to turn one on let alone use
it effectively or understand how they work.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 03:02 PM
"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> Before we continue with Anthony, let's all remember that will never admit
> he is incorrect or has made a misstatement. Bottom line is that he has
> never, ever flown with TCAS, TIS, ADS-B, or for that matter a Narco Mark
> 12.
>
> Rather than argue minor points, why bother since he has no experience with
> any of these systems and wouldn't even know how to turn one on let alone
> use it effectively or understand how they work.

Good question. I don't argue with him for that very reason. I suspect that
those who do have some burning need to feel like they have accomplished
something, but proving you have more experience than someone who has zero
experience is not much of an accomplishment in my book. Anthony doesn't nym
shift, so anyone who is annoyed can simply add him to their killfile. I
don't really care if anyone beats up on Anthony as he well deserves it for a
number of reasons, but justifying beating up on him by saying he's a hazard
to aviation is truly pathetic.

Viperdoc
September 10th 08, 05:05 PM
Agree completely, mostly I respond because he's an idiot.

Sam Spade
September 10th 08, 06:09 PM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> Sam Spade writes:
>

>>You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
>>the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator" jock.
>

> Nobody learns to fly by reading USENET. No intelligent person ever believes
> what he reads on USENET without independent verification.
>

>>And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.
>

> Few people with a correctly configured sim call it a game.

It is not possible to correctly configure that game to be a real
aviation simulator.

But, since you are only a simulated pilot, you just don't understand that.

Sam Spade
September 10th 08, 06:09 PM
Mike wrote:

> "Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
>
>> Sam Spade writes:
>>
>>> You obviously don't understand how misinformation in aviation is one of
>>> the weak links in the accident chain. Neither does the "simulator"
>>> jock.
>>

>> Nobody learns to fly by reading USENET. No intelligent person ever
>> believes
>> what he reads on USENET without independent verification.
>>
>>> And, what a laugh to call that piece of **** game a simulator.
>>

>> Few people with a correctly configured sim call it a game.
>

> This is correct. A toy is far more descriptive. A game implies there's
> something to win or lose.

Point well taken.

Sam Spade
September 10th 08, 06:13 PM
Mike wrote:

> "Viperdoc" > wrote in message
>
>> Before we continue with Anthony, let's all remember that will never
>> admit he is incorrect or has made a misstatement. Bottom line is that
>> he has never, ever flown with TCAS, TIS, ADS-B, or for that matter a
>> Narco Mark 12.
>>
>> Rather than argue minor points, why bother since he has no experience
>> with any of these systems and wouldn't even know how to turn one on
>> let alone use it effectively or understand how they work.
>

> Good question. I don't argue with him for that very reason. I suspect
> that those who do have some burning need to feel like they have
> accomplished something, but proving you have more experience than
> someone who has zero experience is not much of an accomplishment in my
> book. Anthony doesn't nym shift, so anyone who is annoyed can simply
> add him to their killfile. I don't really care if anyone beats up on
> Anthony as he well deserves it for a number of reasons, but justifying
> beating up on him by saying he's a hazard to aviation is truly pathetic.

Sign me pathetic. I was trying to make a point (perhaps a bit too
strongly) about a jerk who speaks with such authority and who has zero
flying experience or credentials.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 08:51 PM
"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>
>> "Viperdoc" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Before we continue with Anthony, let's all remember that will never
>>> admit he is incorrect or has made a misstatement. Bottom line is that he
>>> has never, ever flown with TCAS, TIS, ADS-B, or for that matter a Narco
>>> Mark 12.
>>>
>>> Rather than argue minor points, why bother since he has no experience
>>> with any of these systems and wouldn't even know how to turn one on let
>>> alone use it effectively or understand how they work.
>>

>> Good question. I don't argue with him for that very reason. I suspect
>> that those who do have some burning need to feel like they have
>> accomplished something, but proving you have more experience than someone
>> who has zero experience is not much of an accomplishment in my book.
>> Anthony doesn't nym shift, so anyone who is annoyed can simply add him to
>> their killfile. I don't really care if anyone beats up on Anthony as he
>> well deserves it for a number of reasons, but justifying beating up on
>> him by saying he's a hazard to aviation is truly pathetic.
>
> Sign me pathetic. I was trying to make a point (perhaps a bit too
> strongly) about a jerk who speaks with such authority and who has zero
> flying experience or credentials.

Be that as it may the problem with that approach is occassionally Anthony is
right. If you simply post a blanket statement that says Anthony is always
wrong, you might want to be sure that what he just posted was. Otherwise a
casual reader might question your knowledge, experience, and credibility
rather than his.

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 09:14 PM
Sam Spade writes:

> It is not possible to correctly configure that game to be a real
> aviation simulator.

The Navy disagrees.

Mxsmanic
September 10th 08, 09:15 PM
Mike writes:

> This is more or less correct.

Yes, I know.

Sam Spade
September 10th 08, 10:04 PM
Mike wrote:
> "Sam Spade" > wrote in message
>
>> Mike wrote:

>>> Good question. I don't argue with him for that very reason. I
>>> suspect that those who do have some burning need to feel like they
>>> have accomplished something, but proving you have more experience
>>> than someone who has zero experience is not much of an accomplishment
>>> in my book. Anthony doesn't nym shift, so anyone who is annoyed can
>>> simply add him to their killfile. I don't really care if anyone
>>> beats up on Anthony as he well deserves it for a number of reasons,
>>> but justifying beating up on him by saying he's a hazard to aviation
>>> is truly pathetic.
>>

>> Sign me pathetic. I was trying to make a point (perhaps a bit too
>> strongly) about a jerk who speaks with such authority and who has zero
>> flying experience or credentials.
>

> Be that as it may the problem with that approach is occassionally
> Anthony is right. If you simply post a blanket statement that says
> Anthony is always wrong, you might want to be sure that what he just
> posted was. Otherwise a casual reader might question your knowledge,
> experience, and credibility rather than his.

If someone wants to question my knowledge, experience and credibility,
they can be my guest.

I know a few things about a few medical procedures. But, I don't
pretend I am a medical doctor on some medical forum.

The guy just plain ****es me off.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 10:08 PM
"Sam Spade" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:

>>> Sign me pathetic. I was trying to make a point (perhaps a bit too
>>> strongly) about a jerk who speaks with such authority and who has zero
>>> flying experience or credentials.
>>

>> Be that as it may the problem with that approach is occassionally Anthony
>> is right. If you simply post a blanket statement that says Anthony is
>> always wrong, you might want to be sure that what he just posted was.
>> Otherwise a casual reader might question your knowledge, experience, and
>> credibility rather than his.
>
> If someone wants to question my knowledge, experience and credibility,
> they can be my guest.
>
> I know a few things about a few medical procedures. But, I don't pretend
> I am a medical doctor on some medical forum.
>
> The guy just plain ****es me off.

Then plonk him.

Mike[_22_]
September 10th 08, 10:09 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Mike writes:
>
>> This is more or less correct.
>
> Yes, I know.

No, you don't.

Viperdoc
September 10th 08, 10:12 PM
More less than more, and the fact remains that Anthony wouldn't even know
how to turn a TCAS on, let alone how to interpret the display or understand
how it works.

Dave S
September 11th 08, 12:18 AM
Mike wrote:

> And in this particular thread, MX was right and Dave S had to
> manufacture a non-existent quote just to contradict MX and point out
> that he wasn't some sort of design engineer when clearly he isn't either.

Manufactured? BS.

MX: (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
azimuth).

I'm done with this ****ing contest. This time. for now.

Mxsmanic
September 11th 08, 05:47 AM
Dave S writes:

> MX: (since it must depend essentially on radar sweeps to determine
> azimuth).

You need some way of correlating replies or echoes from other aircraft with
azimuth, which means a directional antenna. A directional antenna that
actively paints or interrogates a distant station is radar. None of this has
anything to do with ATC when the context is TCAS.

Mxsmanic
September 11th 08, 05:49 AM
Viperdoc writes:

> More less than more, and the fact remains that Anthony wouldn't even know
> how to turn a TCAS on, let alone how to interpret the display or understand
> how it works.

Neither the principle nor the turning-on of a TCAS system is particularly
difficult to understand. At least I do not find them so; perhaps they might
be challenging for some. If it were widely difficult to understand and use,
however, it wouldn't be very useful.

Michael Huber[_2_]
September 11th 08, 11:08 AM
Sam Spade wrote:

> The guy just plain ****es me off.

If you want to ignore him, ignore him. If you want to argue his points,
argue his points. But blanket ad hominem attacks are IMO neither
constructive nor conducive to a pleasant atmosphere in this newsgroup.
Furthermore, at least for me, it makes it harder ignore MXS if I choose to
do so because while he is in fact in my killfile, you aren't, and I see
your replies to his posts.

So please, in the interest of an improved SNR here, just ignore him if you
don't want to argue with him.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 11th 08, 12:47 PM

> Neither the principle nor the turning-on of a TCAS system is particularly
> difficult to understand. At least I do not find them so; perhaps they
> might
> be challenging for some. If it were widely difficult to understand and
> use,
> however, it wouldn't be very useful.

How often have you used TCAS or any other traffic warning system?

Jon
September 11th 08, 01:52 PM
On Sep 11, 6:08*am, Michael Huber > wrote:
> Sam Spade wrote:
> > The guy just plain ****es me off.
>
> If you want to ignore him, ignore him. If you want to argue his points,
> argue his points. But blanket ad hominem attacks are IMO neither
> constructive nor conducive to a pleasant atmosphere in this newsgroup.
> Furthermore, at least for me, it makes it harder ignore MXS if I choose to
> do so because while he is in fact in my killfile, you aren't, and I see
> your replies to his posts.
>
> So please, in the interest of an improved SNR here, just ignore him if you
> don't want to argue with him.

Agreed.

There should be more than enough history built up at this point that
anyone can find, to realize that there's no value being added. New
readers that don't do due diligence on this (or any) group get what
they deserve by jumping into the deep end. The vets already understand
the game of self-inflation being played, so why provide a right hand
for rosey to use?

Steve Foley
September 11th 08, 03:45 PM
"Michael Huber" > wrote in message
> Sam Spade wrote:
>
> > The guy just plain ****es me off.
>
> So please, in the interest of an improved SNR here, just ignore him if you
> don't want to argue with him.

I've found he doesn't agrue if you use the 'reply' feature of outlook,
rather than the 'reply group' feature. He's just looking for attention, so
if you don't reply publicly, he's not interested.

Mxsmanic
September 11th 08, 08:17 PM
Viperdoc writes:

> How often have you used TCAS or any other traffic warning system?

Every time I fly.

Mike
September 11th 08, 08:28 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Viperdoc writes:
>
>> How often have you used TCAS or any other traffic warning system?
>
> Every time I fly.

Exactly.

Viperdoc
September 11th 08, 09:36 PM

>> Every time I fly.

What brand TCAS? Are you using a 28v or 12 v system? What kind of display?
Are you actually flying now, or still playing MSFS?

Mike
September 11th 08, 09:52 PM
"Viperdoc" > wrote in message

>>> Every time I fly.
>>
> What brand TCAS? Are you using a 28v or 12 v system? What kind of display?

He wouldn't know because he's sitting in coach munching on peanuts.

Just go look it up!
September 11th 08, 11:50 PM
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:52:00 GMT, "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com>
wrote:

>> What brand TCAS? Are you using a 28v or 12 v system? What kind of display?
>
>He wouldn't know because he's sitting in coach munching on peanuts.

It doesn't even do that.

Why the hell do we even deal with it any more? For the love of god
everyone just killfile and move on.

How about complaining to it's ISP for violating the charter of the
rec.aviation groups where it doesn't fly ror have any intent to - go
back to the sim groups where it belongs. This is truely, seriously
getting silly. I killfiled it yonks ago but keep getting all the
replies. Ignore and it will eventually go away and maybe we can get a
number of useful groups back.

Mxsmanic
September 12th 08, 04:29 AM
Viperdoc writes:

> What brand TCAS? Are you using a 28v or 12 v system?

The sim provides the TCAS input for the display (which is the only simulated
part), so brand is not relevant. Likewise for the electrical system.

> What kind of display?

In the Baron, the display is a Sandel ST3400. In the airliners, it's part of
the overall avionics suite, which I think is made by Honeywell and other
subcontractors.

> Are you actually flying now, or still playing MSFS?

If you cannot tell, then it doesn't matter.

Mxsmanic
September 12th 08, 04:31 AM
Just go look it up! writes:

> How about complaining to it's ISP for violating the charter of the
> rec.aviation groups where it doesn't fly ror have any intent to - go
> back to the sim groups where it belongs.

ISPs have to deal with one person complaining about another all day long.
About 99.99% of those complaints go into the wastebasket. There's no
requirement to obey any charter (which hasn't been violated, anyway). There
is no violation of TOS. And often the ISP isn't even providing the newsgroup
service (lots of people here use Google, alas! or some other dedicated
newsgroup service).

Mxsmanic
September 12th 08, 04:33 AM
nobody writes:

> I've never actually seen a TCAS unit, so I'm not familiar with the turning-on
> procedure.

There are many different types of unit, anyway. Additionally, TCAS may be
integrated into other instruments, such as navigational displays, in which
case it isn't turned on separately. There's no standard for such functions as
avionics go, so variations are considerable.

There is a standard for the way the traffic is displayed, however.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 12th 08, 05:09 AM
You don't even know who makes the traffic avoidance system? Is it based on
TCAS, TIS, or ADS-B, not that you'd know the difference.

By your response, it is obvious that you are not actually flying, and still
trying to convince people that your comments actually mean something based
upon your playing MSFS. How do you turn it on? What color is the display?
Who makes the traffic system?

Of course, you don't know the actual answer, since you have never used any
of these systems, don't know how they actually work, or what they mean. This
is simply an extension of the fact that you do not fly.

QED

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 12th 08, 05:11 AM
Anthony, can you cite the standard that states how traffic is displayed? Of
course not, because you don't know.

This is an extension of the fact that you don't fly and never have.

..

Sam Spade
September 12th 08, 07:00 AM
Just go look it up! wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:52:00 GMT, "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com>
> wrote:

>>>What brand TCAS? Are you using a 28v or 12 v system? What kind of display?
>>
>>He wouldn't know because he's sitting in coach munching on peanuts.
>

> It doesn't even do that.
>
> Why the hell do we even deal with it any more? For the love of god
> everyone just killfile and move on.
>
> How about complaining to it's ISP for violating the charter of the
> rec.aviation groups where it doesn't fly ror have any intent to - go
> back to the sim groups where it belongs. This is truely, seriously
> getting silly. I killfiled it yonks ago but keep getting all the
> replies. Ignore and it will eventually go away and maybe we can get a
> number of useful groups back.

These unmoderated Usenet groups have grown to be useless.

Pilots who do not fly professionally should join the AOPA Forums, which
are moderated and require some measure of proof of credentials. There
are some ****ing contests there, like any reasonably open but moderated
forum.

Professional pilots can join any number of forums. Propilotworld is a
fairly good one, which permits pilots who fly for a living to discuss
technical issues about flying and a broad range of job related and
personal concerns. Most important, the moderators check your FAA airman
records before they allow you to join.

I've had it with this forum and and hitting the master kill switch.

Mxsmanic
September 12th 08, 08:05 PM
Viperdoc writes:

> You don't even know who makes the traffic avoidance system?

There are multiple components, and in any case, it's a simulation.

> By your response, it is obvious that you are not actually flying, and still
> trying to convince people that your comments actually mean something based
> upon your playing MSFS. How do you turn it on? What color is the display?
> Who makes the traffic system?

That depends on the aircraft.

Viperdoc[_5_]
September 13th 08, 03:50 AM