PDA

View Full Version : Refreshingly plain plane column

Stella Starr
October 6th 08, 08:40 PM
It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/

"In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
dangerous..."

In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

Mike
October 6th 08, 08:57 PM
"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
. ..
> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
> was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> dangerous..."
>
> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

The funny part was the crew blamed it on ATC, as usual.

One of the more amusing happenings on the radio I heard about went something
like this:

The south approach into DAL is a bit hairy due to the routing necessary to
avoid the DFW traffic. The captain of a 737 (United I believe) was a bit
perturbed with the approach he was given. He noted on frequency, "You guys
should get the controllers over at Denver to show you how to control
traffic." To which the controller fired back, "You guys at United should
get Southwest to show you how to fly a 737."

Darkwing
October 6th 08, 09:42 PM
"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
. ..
> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
> was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> dangerous..."
>
> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around on a
commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a "go around"
is and why they are typically made.

TheTruth[_3_]
October 6th 08, 09:45 PM
Stella Starr wrote:
> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
> reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> dangerous..."
>
> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

Try 30 or 40 touch and go's riding in the bottom of a B-52
right next to the **** can sloshing by your left leg and it
around 120 degrees in the airplane or..........

Freezing your ass off in a C-141 when you can see your breath
and it's so loud you can't ****ing hear and the load master is a dick
head and won't let you smoke and they are out of coffee and the honey
bucket is backed up oozing **** and blue water

People who fly commercial are clueless

Mike
October 6th 08, 10:01 PM
"TheTruth" > wrote in message
> Stella Starr wrote:
>> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
>> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
>> was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
>> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>>
>> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>>
>> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
>> dangerous..."
>>
>> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
>> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
>> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.
>>

> Try 30 or 40 touch and go's riding in the bottom of a B-52
> right next to the **** can sloshing by your left leg and it
> around 120 degrees in the airplane or..........
>
> Freezing your ass off in a C-141 when you can see your breath
> and it's so loud you can't ****ing hear and the load master is a dick head
> and won't let you smoke and they are out of coffee and the honey bucket is
> backed up oozing **** and blue water
>
> People who fly commercial are clueless

No more so than a non-pilot like you, JJ. In fact, less so.

This is a real video of JJ. His name is John Allen Johnson and he lost his
FAA job due to drug use. Imagine how big of a loser you have to be to give
up a $50-75K job because you can't put down the crack pipe. Now he is
nothing more than a malcontent who spreads his racist filth on usenet.

http://jaycut.com/mix/22940/preview

The "Truth" hurts, doesn't it, JJ?

Ash Wyllie
October 7th 08, 02:41 AM
Darkwing opined

>"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
. ..
>> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
>> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
>> was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
>> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>>
>> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>>
>> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
>> dangerous..."
>>
>> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
>> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
>> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.
>>

>I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around on a
>commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a "go around"
>is and why they are typically made.

I was on a go around, or a missed approach (I don't remember which) back in the
80s going into Logan. Once in maybe a hundred flights.

Doesn't happen often, and it was a real suprise.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.

Mxsmanic
October 7th 08, 04:21 AM
Stella Starr writes:

> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
> reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> dangerous..."
>
> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

"Ask the pilot" has long been a fairly level-headed column.

Mxsmanic
October 7th 08, 04:23 AM
TheTruth writes:

> Freezing your ass off in a C-141 when you can see your breath
> and it's so loud you can't ****ing hear and the load master is a dick
> head and won't let you smoke and they are out of coffee and the honey
> bucket is backed up oozing **** and blue water

And the aircraft was filled with six feet of snow, which you had to walk
through barefoot in order to reach the flight deck.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 7th 08, 07:05 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Stella Starr writes:
>
>> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing.
>> Had it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
>> reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
>> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>>
>> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>>
>> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of
>> anything dangerous..."
>>
>> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon.
>> IMHO it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in
>> an educational article free from sensationalism or disaster
>> references.
>
> "Ask the pilot" has long been a fairly level-headed column.

How th e**** would you know, moron?

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 7th 08, 07:06 AM
Stella Starr > wrote in
:

> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
> reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> dangerous..."
>
> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

Pretty good article, obviously well informed...

Bertie

Viperdoc[_6_]
October 7th 08, 12:30 PM
Anthony, have you ever been in a military plane on a long mission? Or, have
you ever been in the military at all? In fact, have you ever ridden in
anything other than a commercial airliner?

Of course not, so why comment or even bother trying to give input to those
who have?

Gene Seibel
October 7th 08, 03:17 PM
On Oct 6, 2:42*pm, "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Stella Starr" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
> > it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
> > was "Hmph. *How 'bout that."
> > Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>
> >http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>
> > "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
> > dangerous..."
>
> > In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
> > it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
> > educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.
>
> I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around on a
> commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a "go around"
> is and why they are typically made.

Was on a 747 going into Honolulu that did a go around for traffic on
the runway. Seemed kind of unexpected or almost ironic to spend 4
hours flying across an ocean and then not land.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 7th 08, 03:37 PM
"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in
:

> Darkwing opined
>
>>"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing.
>>> Had it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my
>>> reaction was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
>>> Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.
>>>
>>> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/10/03/askthepilot293/
>>>
>>> "In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of
>>> anything dangerous..."
>>>
>>> In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon.
>>> IMHO it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in
>>> an educational article free from sensationalism or disaster
>>> references.
>>>

>>I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around
>>on a commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a
>>"go around" is and why they are typically made.
>
> I was on a go around, or a missed approach (I don't remember which)
> back in the 80s going into Logan. Once in maybe a hundred flights.
>
> Doesn't happen often, and it was a real suprise.

Once in many hundreds or thousands is more like it. I think I have done
two in the last five years... Both on ILS's

Bertie

Jon Woellhaf
October 7th 08, 06:52 PM
I don't fly commercial often, but I've enjoyed two go-arounds. One was at
Denver and the other was at Las Vegas.

Mike
October 7th 08, 07:36 PM
"Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
> "Ash Wyllie" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Darkwing opined
>>
>>>"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around
>>>on a commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a
>>>"go around" is and why they are typically made.
>>
>> I was on a go around, or a missed approach (I don't remember which)
>> back in the 80s going into Logan. Once in maybe a hundred flights.
>>
>> Doesn't happen often, and it was a real suprise.
>>

> Once in many hundreds or thousands is more like it. I think I have done
> two in the last five years... Both on ILS's

When the winds (especially x-winds) pick up, the number increases
significantly. A few months ago I saw two different DC-10s go around at the
same airport on the same day.

Mike
October 7th 08, 07:38 PM
"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> Anthony, have you ever been in a military plane on a long mission? Or,
> have you ever been in the military at all? In fact, have you ever ridden
> in anything other than a commercial airliner?
>
> Of course not, so why comment or even bother trying to give input to those
> who have?

Who says that JJ ever did? He's a consistent liar and a drug addict and is
less trustworthy than Anthony.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 7th 08, 07:43 PM
"Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
:

> "Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
>> "Ash Wyllie" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Darkwing opined

. ..

>>> I was on a go around, or a missed approach (I don't remember which)
>>> back in the 80s going into Logan. Once in maybe a hundred flights.
>>>
>>> Doesn't happen often, and it was a real suprise.
>>>

>> Once in many hundreds or thousands is more like it. I think I have
>> done two in the last five years... Both on ILS's
>
> When the winds (especially x-winds) pick up, the number increases
> significantly. A few months ago I saw two different DC-10s go around
> at the same airport on the same day.

Yeah. That can do it, too.

the old saw is that each approach is an approach to a go around, A
landing off of it is a bonus..

Bertie

Mike
October 7th 08, 07:54 PM
"Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
> "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
> :
>
>> "Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
>>> "Ash Wyllie" > wrote in
>>> :

. ..

>>> Once in many hundreds or thousands is more like it. I think I have
>>> done two in the last five years... Both on ILS's
>>
>> When the winds (especially x-winds) pick up, the number increases
>> significantly. A few months ago I saw two different DC-10s go around
>> at the same airport on the same day.
>

> Yeah. That can do it, too.
>
> the old saw is that each approach is an approach to a go around, A
> landing off of it is a bonus..

Personally I just view the missed as another segment of the approach. I'm
surprised each time I don't have to execute it.

JGalban via AviationKB.com
October 7th 08, 08:41 PM
Darkwing wrote:

>I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around on a
>commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a "go around"
>is and why they are typically made.

I used to spend a lot of time on the PHX ramp when I based my plane there.
Big Iron go arounds were not that unusual. With only two parallel runways
and two large carriers (Am West, Southwest) trying to turn around all their
planes simultaneously, it was often a madhouse. Topping the list of go-
around causes were jets that had been given (and acknowledged) an immediate
takeoff clearance, then dawdled after taking the active. Next was winds/dust
storms from the summer monsoon.

Although I had to often go around because of jet traffic ahead, I never saw
a case where a small GA forced an airliner around (although I'm sure it must
have happened occasionally). We little guys were always on our best
behavior.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 7th 08, 09:49 PM
"Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
:

> "Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
>> "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
>> :

. ..

>>> When the winds (especially x-winds) pick up, the number increases
>>> significantly. A few months ago I saw two different DC-10s go
>>> around at the same airport on the same day.
>>

>> Yeah. That can do it, too.
>>
>> the old saw is that each approach is an approach to a go around, A
>> landing off of it is a bonus..
>
> Personally I just view the missed as another segment of the approach.
> I'm surprised each time I don't have to execute it.

I'm just kinda annoyed. Means more work!

Mike
October 7th 08, 10:49 PM
"Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
> "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
> :
>
>> "Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
>>> "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> :

. ..

>>> Yeah. That can do it, too.
>>>
>>> the old saw is that each approach is an approach to a go around, A
>>> landing off of it is a bonus..
>>
>> Personally I just view the missed as another segment of the approach.
>> I'm surprised each time I don't have to execute it.
>>

> I'm just kinda annoyed. Means more work!

Beats digging ditches.

Dave[_5_]
October 8th 08, 02:04 AM
One time going into LAX with the weather right at minimums, the
airline shot three approaches - and missed all three! So then they
hauled us over to Palmdale and
sat for two hours. Wouldn't let anyone out of the plane "Because it's
a Military Base". Finally took off again and went back to LAX and
landed without problems.

That was the only missed approach I remember in many years of airline
travel. However, there was another occasion that probably should have
been a missed - and wasn't. I was flying from Greenland to Amsterdam,
Netherlands on a DC-6 (another story) - and they announced that we
would be stopping in Iceland for fuel. I fell asleep for awhile, then
woke up and looked out the window to see a big, rugged island going
by. I figured it must be Iceland - there isn't anything else out there
- and we were'nt landing! So on we went, and after quite some time
they announced that we were diverting to Brussels, as Amsterdam was
below minimums. We went on and on in the murk, and after a long while
I could tell we were descending. Down and down we went with zero
visibility. Then I saw the ground up close - and just like that
we were down. Good landing. We then taxiied for a long while in thick
fog before arriving at the Terminal. To our surprise, we were in
Amsterdam (as originally intended) and not Brussels! Nothing was said
after the "divert to Brussels" announcement - but I have no doubt
that, considering the skipped fuel stop, they had the choice of making
the landing or ditching in the North Sea.

Dave

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 8th 08, 03:43 AM
"Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in news:_PQGk.1337$yI6.823
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

> "Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
>> "Mike" <nospam@ microsoft.com> wrote in
>> :

. ..

>>> Personally I just view the missed as another segment of the
approach.
>>> I'm surprised each time I don't have to execute it.
>>>

>> I'm just kinda annoyed. Means more work!
>
> Beats digging ditches.

Most of the time!

Bertie

Dave[_5_]
October 9th 08, 12:03 AM
On Oct 8, 11:48*am, jeremy > wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
> * To our surprise, we were in
>
> > Amsterdam (as originally intended) and not Brussels! Nothing was said
> > after the "divert to Brussels" announcement - but I have no doubt
> > that, considering the skipped fuel stop, they had the choice of making
> > the landing or ditching in the North Sea.
>
> > Dave
>
> * Keflavik International Airpor is well equipped and highly secure, with two
> runways: 02/20, 3054 x 60 m, and 11/29, 3065 x 60 m. All approaches are free
> of obstruction, and the airport is equipped with today´s most advanced
> approach systems. Runways 11 and 20 are Category II; runways 02 and 29 Category I.
> * * * * However, its reputation as a tech or refuel stop is somewhat hampered by the
> often inclement weather. Many other easy diverts between there and your
> destination, so I doubt that fuel was that important. Also, the Greenland
> flight path is usually over Southern Eire, and the only reason to go so far
> north would be to avoid weather, and it probably cleared.
>
> JJ

So far as I could tell, weather wasn't a problem in Iceland - we were
under a high overcast, but otherwise the visibility was good. Further
East we were in the soup continuously until landing. I have no idea
what other possible landing sites were like that day - they don't
usually share that info with the passengers. I did wish that
they had kept us posted on what was going on at the time. Origin of
the flight was Sondre Stromfiord.

Dave

October 13th 08, 12:36 AM
I once experienced a go-around on a commercial flight, HNL to LAX,
coming in about 5:30 AM.
We were over the numbers when the pilots added power and went around.
ATC was on the audio system (one nice thing about United).

On the way out, the pilots asked whether they had gotten clearance to
land.

Got a good view of the LA basin...

Google