PDA

View Full Version : True He-176 Prototype Photo

robert arndt
April 27th 04, 07:38 PM
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

First flown in June 1939.

Rob

John Mullen
April 27th 04, 09:53 PM
"robert arndt" > wrote in message
om...
> http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
>
> First flown in June 1939.
>
> Rob

Great pic Rob

You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?

John

Dave Kearton
April 27th 04, 09:58 PM
"robert arndt" > wrote in message
om...
| http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
|
| First flown in June 1939.
|
| Rob

That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an engine.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Jim Doyle
April 27th 04, 11:16 PM
"Dave Kearton" > wrote in
message ...
> "robert arndt" > wrote in message
> om...
> | http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
> |
> | First flown in June 1939.
> |
> | Rob
>

> That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an
engine.

Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg

Cheers,
Jim Doyle

> Cheers
>

> Dave Kearton

B2431
April 28th 04, 12:18 AM
>From: "Jim Doyle"

>http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
>> |
>> | First flown in June 1939.
>> |
>> | Rob
>>
>> That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an
>engine.
>
>Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
>wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
>Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
>http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>Jim Doyle

I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
"firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

JasiekS
April 28th 04, 11:25 AM
Użytkownik "B2431" > napisał w wiadomości

> I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his
country's
> "firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

This time he is right. He-176 was world's first aircraft with rocket
engine only . He-176 made its maiden flight on 20 June 1939. The
aircraft was grounded on the next day by RLM order (two times recalled
and issued again). On 27 August 1939 was maiden flight of other 'world's
first' - the world's first jet He-178. Both aircraft were experimental
(you can call them proof-of-concept according to today's jargon) so
weren't intended for production.

First flight with the same rocket engine was made in March/April
1937. Modified He-112 (you can call it testbed for rocket engine) was
used in this experiment. Take-off was made with piston engine and rocket
engine was started in flight. Earlier experiments with rocket fitted
sailplanes were made in Germany in 1928/29.

JasiekS
Warsaw, Poland

robert arndt
April 28th 04, 11:33 AM
"John Mullen" > wrote in message >...
> "robert arndt" > wrote in message
> om...
> > http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
> >
> > First flown in June 1939.
> >
> > Rob
>
> Great pic Rob
>
> You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?
>
> John

WNF 342: http://www.germanvtol.com/wnffolder/wnfbase.html

Enjoy,
Rob

robert arndt
April 28th 04, 11:40 AM
(B2431) wrote in message >...
> >From: "Jim Doyle"
>

> >http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

> >> That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an
> >engine.
> >
> >Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
> >wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
> >Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
> >http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Jim Doyle
> >

> I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
> "firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

And exactly "why" would the RLM decide to develop an experimental
liquid fuelled rocket aircraft into a combat plane in 1939 when they
had the proven Me Bf 109?
BTW, I wasn't trying to impress anyone. This newer pic is on-topic for
this NG and maybe someone might appreciate it. The fact that you hate
all German aviation technology is the only reason you respond to my
posts at all. Why don't you just stick to the stuff you DO like and
leave others to form their own opinions about what I post.
I ran across that photo today while looking for something else and
thought it was worth posting. You don't like it... too bad Dan.

Rob

John Mullen
April 28th 04, 12:46 PM
"robert arndt" > wrote in message
om...
> "John Mullen" > wrote in message
> > "robert arndt" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
> > >
> > > First flown in June 1939.
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > Great pic Rob
> >
> > You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?
> >
> > John
>
> WNF 342: http://www.germanvtol.com/wnffolder/wnfbase.html
>
> Enjoy,
> Rob

Thanks! Great site.

John

Nemo l'Ancien
April 28th 04, 03:43 PM
Just one question...Did X-1 or X-15 ever entered production...?
LOL

JasiekS
April 28th 04, 04:50 PM
Uzytkownik "Nemo l'Ancien" > napisal w wiadomosci
> Just one question...Did X-1 or X-15 ever entered production...?
> LOL

Please, ask Dan - not me!

JasiekS
Warsaw, Poland

machf
April 28th 04, 05:19 PM
On 27 Apr 2004 23:18:07 GMT, (B2431) wrote:

>>From: "Jim Doyle"
>

>>http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

>>> That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an
>>engine.
>>
>>Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
>>wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
>>Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
>>http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Jim Doyle
>>

>I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
>"firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.

Given that a) he hasn't said otherwise and b) the path on the URL has clearly
"prototyp" in it, what's the matter?

And until now, the only "photo" available of the He 176 had turned to be an
artistic rendering, so the relevance of this one would be that it's an actual
photo.

Cool down.

--
__________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

B2431
April 28th 04, 08:27 PM
>From: Nemo l'Ancien
>

>Just one question...Did X-1 or X-15 ever entered production...?
>LOL

No, neither was ever intended to. The He176 wasn't either. The difference is
the X-1 showed the need for an all moving tail at trans- and super sonic speeds
which were used in the F-86 and subsequent successful aircraft. The X-15
provided data for supersonic and high altitude flight. Various production
aircraft used these data as does the space shuttle.

The He176 proved nothing other than a rocket engine could provide enough thrust
to propel an aircraft. This fact was already known. The Me163 not withstanding
there has never been a successful production rocket propelled aircraft. I'd
hardly call the Me163 sucessful.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

B2431
April 28th 04, 08:34 PM
>From: (robert arndt)

The fact that you hate
>all German aviation technology is the only reason you respond to my
>posts at all.

I never said or implied I hate German technology. You however have made it
clear over many posts that you seem to think all important technological
advances stem from Germany. You also denigrate other peoples technilogical
capabilities, see your comments in the survival gun thread, sometimes using
vulgarity.

I remind you that you have a history of slavishly admiring the SS and all
things Nazi. Just do a Google search on yourself.

Why don't you just stick to the stuff you DO like and
>leave others to form their own opinions about what I post.

Take your own advice. I again give you your own comments in the survival gun
thread as an example.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Alan Minyard
April 28th 04, 09:56 PM
On 27 Apr 2004 11:38:39 -0700, (robert arndt) wrote:

>http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
>
>First flown in June 1939.
>
>Rob

What a piece of junk. A glider that won't even set on its gear
without a "pilot" in place.

Al Minyard

Alan Minyard
April 28th 04, 09:59 PM

>> I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
>> "firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.
>>
>> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
>
>And exactly "why" would the RLM decide to develop an experimental
>liquid fuelled rocket aircraft into a combat plane in 1939 when they
>had the proven Me Bf 109?
>BTW, I wasn't trying to impress anyone. This newer pic is on-topic for
>this NG and maybe someone might appreciate it. The fact that you hate
>all German aviation technology is the only reason you respond to my
>posts at all. Why don't you just stick to the stuff you DO like and
>leave others to form their own opinions about what I post.
>I ran across that photo today while looking for something else and
>thought it was worth posting. You don't like it... too bad Dan.
>
>Rob

Hitler lost, get over it.

Al Minyard

Google