PDA

View Full Version : Noted pilot headlines Vietnam celebration

Otis Willie
May 5th 04, 10:32 PM
Noted pilot headlines Vietnam celebration

(EXCERPT) Terry DeVine, The Forum Published Wednesday, May 05, 2004

· advertisement ·

There was a time when one could probably have been forgiven for
wondering if Mark Berent had a death wish.

Why else would someone spend four years and a day (four tours) flying
air combat missions during the Vietnam War?

When asked why he kept going back, Berent, a retired Air Force
lieutenant colonel, said, "A lot of reasons; because it was there,
because I wanted a MIG, because when the threat goes up the paperwork
goes down and the weenies run for cover; but mostly because the guys
were still fighting. Everyday I'd pick up a paper and find another
buddy KIA (killed in action), MIA (missing in action), or POW
(prisoner of war). I just couldn't stay on the beach."

A Minneapolis native whose father was a noted Minnesota stunt pilot in
the 1930s, Berent is in Fargo for Vietnam...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 05 May 2004, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://new.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=57186&section=Columnists&columnist=Terry%20DeVine

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian