PDA

View Full Version : Flight 77 question?

Garyurbach
June 4th 04, 06:32 PM
OK, trying a new heading, just in case:

I am debating online with somebody who claims the descending turn of the Boeing
757 over the DC mall was some aerobatic maneuver.

I am betting a 757 can do that without unduly stressing the plane, in emergency
conditions.

He turned 270 degrees in 2.5 minutes, and dropped quite a bit (don't know how
much).

While this might not be somethign you do with passengers, it is doable, right?

We did something LIKE this in Cessnas; the emergency descent 45 degree turn.
Not trying to say the two are equivalent, just using an example.

Is there anybody out there who can help me on this? Thanks.

Billy Beck
June 4th 04, 10:07 PM
On 04 Jun 2004 17:32:10 GMT, (Garyurbach) wrote:

>OK, trying a new heading, just in case:
>
>I am debating online with somebody who claims the descending turn of the Boeing
>757 over the DC mall was some aerobatic maneuver.
>
>I am betting a 757 can do that without unduly stressing the plane, in emergency
>conditions.
>
>He turned 270 degrees in 2.5 minutes, and dropped quite a bit (don't know how
>much).

A "standard rate turn" goes at three degrees per second. That's
180 degrees in one minute.

Even accounting for the descent, I would say that anyone calling
that "aerobatic" is not worth arguing with.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php

Jack
June 5th 04, 05:29 AM
Garyurbach wrote:

> I am debating online with somebody who claims the descending turn of the Boeing
> 757 over the DC mall was some aerobatic maneuver.

There is nothing particularly unusual or demanding about the kinds of maneuvers
required for the 9-11 attacks.

Jack
Retired 757 Captain

Google