PDA

View Full Version : Target Tow Squadron Information WW2

RPT217
June 22nd 04, 07:07 AM
I posted this message on June 14, and received several promising leads, but
nothing so far on this particular group. I am researching a feature on a
target tow squadron that was based at Glenview Naval Air Station near Chicago,
Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin B-26 bombers (Navy designation JM-1,
JM-2) and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during gunnery
practice where the aircraft was almost hit by badly aimed fire. During our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting article.
Any information will be appreciated. I would especially like to interview some
of the pilots if they can be located.

Richard T.

Google