PDA

View Full Version : Pilot challenging reprimand for dereliction of duty

Otis Willie
July 8th 04, 09:38 PM
Pilot challenging reprimand for dereliction of duty

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/07/08/f287.raw.html

{EXCERPT} , By JOHN COTTER / The Canadian Press

A U.S. fighter pilot whose bomb killed four Canadian soldiers in
Afghanistan has told his lawyer to appeal a dereliction of duty
conviction.

Charles Gittins said his client, Maj. Harry Schmidt, was in good
spirits after a morning round of golf Wednesday, despite a severe
reprimand handed down by a U.S. air force general that found the pilot
acted shamefully in the April 17, 2002, bombing.

"He just told me to do it. He had just played golf," Gittins said from
Virginia. "We can't let this affront to reason that the U.S. air force
has passed off as fact go unchallenged."

An appeal of the ruling will be filed by Monday's deadline, Gittins
said.

"The general (Bruce Carlson) acted arbitrarily and capriciously and we
believe he acted on evidence outside the record."

Schmidt was not available for an interview. Gittins said his
client'...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library