PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 182

Tim Hickey
August 23rd 09, 04:10 AM
Quick question, and I know that someone here will know the answer:

How much runway is needed to get a (relatively) empty 182 off the
ground? I am thinking one pilot, 45 minutes of fuel, and 1000 MSL.
Grass.
I once saw an Iowa State Trooper land a State 182 on concrete, little
wind, in less than 500 feet. Just wondering what the machine will do
on takeoff when very light.

Thanks.

Zenith CH-300 Driver.

Gunny
August 23rd 09, 03:58 PM
Tim,

Here is a link to a picture of a friend of mine leaving our ~700'
grass strip (the row of round bales is abeam the threshold). With two
people aboard, it was off in less than 400'. I don't know the fuel
load. Winds were calm, and it was probably 50-60 degrees F when he
left.

http://faa-engineers.com/~mjgundry/blog/images/DSC02327.JPG

The landing was a bit more interesting than the takeoff...

Matt

On Aug 22, 10:10*pm, (Tim Hickey) wrote:
> Quick question, and I know that someone here will know the answer:
>
> How much runway is needed to get a (relatively) empty 182 off the
> ground? *I am thinking one pilot, 45 minutes of fuel, and 1000 MSL.
> Grass.
> I once saw an Iowa State Trooper land a State 182 on concrete, little
> wind, in less than 500 feet. Just wondering what the machine will do
> on takeoff when very light.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zenith CH-300 Driver.

Scott[_7_]
August 24th 09, 11:03 AM
Gunny wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Here is a link to a picture of a friend of mine leaving our ~700'
> grass strip (the row of round bales is abeam the threshold).
>
> http://faa-engineers.com/~mjgundry/blog/images/DSC02327.JPG
>
> The landing was a bit more interesting than the takeoff...
>
> Matt

Captain Ron??? :)

Scott

Gunny
August 24th 09, 05:08 PM
On Aug 24, 5:03 am, Scott > wrote:
> Gunny wrote:
>
> > The landing was a bit more interesting than the takeoff...
>
> > Matt
>
> Captain Ron??? :)
>
> Scott

Good guess - you're half right. :) He is a captain (747). Not a 509er,
but his dad was a founder (I think).

What would make a *really* cool snapshot is something with a bit more
classic lines on the field. You know, a parasol...a Piet maybe,
or... ;)

Scott[_7_]
August 24th 09, 10:22 PM
Gunny wrote:
> On Aug 24, 5:03 am, Scott > wrote:
>> Gunny wrote:
>>
>>> The landing was a bit more interesting than the takeoff...
>>> Matt
>> Captain Ron??? :)
>>
>> Scott
>
> Good guess - you're half right. :) He is a captain (747). Not a 509er,
> but his dad was a founder (I think).
>
> What would make a *really* cool snapshot is something with a bit more
> classic lines on the field. You know, a parasol...a Piet maybe,
> or... ;)

If I knew exactly where you lived, I could probably send SOMEBODY over! ;)

Scott

Google