Old December 8th 03, 07:53 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Marc Till wrote:
Just remind how VNE varies with altitude !

Mark James Boyd a écrit:

Snip
Isn't Vne for this glider 255 kph?

Snip

Yep, I guess if you use the 2% per 1000 feet rule for TAS,
and you assume the Vne is a limitation based on flutter,
7000 feet is the absolute max altitude for this flight.

But I must say I don't entirely understand WHY flutter
is based on TAS. I also don't know if the IGC cares
if Vne is exceeded during a world record. It would
also be very hard to "prove" since GPS log only shows
groundspeed and never airspeed.

So part of my post was to say that I suspect he came close
to or exceeded Vne during the record attempt. This takes
some real confidence in the equipment and finesse about
its limits. Good for him, seriously. It's great to see
a new world record...