Old September 17th 03, 09:09 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
NoHoverStop wrote:

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote:
snip ISTR the fleet Air Arm museum's Swordfish landing on and taking
off from Illustrious a year or so ago as part of the commemoration of the
60th anniversary of the Taranto raid - which of course would not present
any problem to a Stringbag as Illustrious, while smaller than US carriers,
is a lot bigger than many of the ships Swordfish operated from.

Really? Got a reference for that? The WWII Lusty didn't have a sodding
great ramp on the bow like the current one does. I'm sure the FAA never
got clearance for the Swordfish to do ski-jumps in WWII so when was the
appropriate clearance work done?

Nope, completely off the top of my head and from memory. Given the
take-off and landing run for the Stringbag there should have been more
than ehough deck before it reached the ramp, either in take off or
landing, and there was certainly a Stringbag on Lusty for the Taranto
60th. I support it's possible that it either landed on and was taken off
in harbour, or vice versa, or harbour lofted on and off - in which case
I'm confusing it with an earlier Taranto anniversary when a Swordfish
certainly flew onto and off a more modern 'carrier - Eagle or Park Royal,
maybe. I've certainly seen photographs of a Stringbag on the deck of the
current Lusty, and it's possible I've conflated it with accouints of
earlier landings-on to more or less modern 'carriers.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/