Old July 6th 03, 09:25 PM
Ross Oliver

This time of year a cool cockpit would be welcome, and we're all #$%!
tired of cleaning off bird droppings. The waiting list for hangar space
is endless. Does anyone have experience with this gadget? Apparently it
opens hydraulically from a solar-charged battery.
http://www.planepocket.com

Cool cockpit maybe, but I don't think it will solve the bird droppings
problem. Seems to me you would be creating a whole new area for birds
to nest in. Plus it would not protect against my biggest nemesis of
outdoor storage: the continous blast of dust and grit kicked up by
the prevailing winds. Hot windy days combined with damp coastal evenings
means the entire plane has a cemented-on dust coat in less than a week.
I use a canvas cover to keep it off the canopy.

There is a demo model at my airport (RHV), but as far as I know, they
haven't sold any. The reason could be that while the wait for a hangar
is very long, the wait for a spot in the shelters (essentially tiedowns
with a roof overhead) is only about 18 months. Shelter spots cost about
$100 more per month than tiedowns, so the $10,000 price tag would pay for
the added cost of a shelter spot for a long time.

With such a steep price tag, I wonder if they have considered leasing
them?

Ross Oliver