Old April 21st 05, 10:15 PM
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

It only gets interesting when heading south and you need to make sure
you clear the 2849 tower (conveniently located smack in the middle of
the airway). In that case, what I would do is set 166 on the OBS and
if I wasn't at the 2300 required by the DP when the flag flipped from
TO to FROM, I'd do one lap in a racetrack pattern (even easier with a
moving map GPS).

I was wondering that, too. 2,300 at the VOR for a southbound course (I
omitted this section of the DP in my original post) only leaves about 6nm
or so to climb the additional 500 feet to clear that tower. Do-able,
assuming the pilot of the single-engine piston was really paying attention
to flying the aircraft. I agree with you that another safe lap around
would be prudent.

--
Peter