Old February 5th 04, 10:28 AM
Bert Willing

Funny thing this discussions. Slipping turns from base to final were part of
my practical exam to get my license in Germany. Well that's now 20+ years
ago, and we did that on Ka7, Ka8 and things like that.
It is coordinated flight, by the way.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Marc Ramsey" a écrit dans le message de
. com...
ISoar wrote:
I can't find anything in my books about how to make a 90 degree turn
(e.g., downwind to base) while in a full slip, but maybe that's
because it's so obvious. (Given my limited # hours, just because
something seems obvious to me doesn't mean I'm not going to check it
out.)

Speaking for myself, when I say I'm making a "slipping turn from base to
final", what I really mean is that I start off in a coordinated
moderately banked turn. When the nose is still pointing something like
20 to 30 degrees away from the runway, I slowly start feeding in
opposite rudder to transition into a forward slip. Adjustments are
made in yaw, pitch, and roll, to maintain a stable forward slip on the
runway heading until any excess altitude is eliminated, at which point I
transition to straight flight and a normal landing.

If this is something you haven't done, you definitely should get an
instructor to show you how, this is not something you want to be
learning on your own...

Marc