Old November 16th 03, 06:15 PM
Bill Kambic

"Leanne" wrote in message

think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.

Not necessarily. Many wings supply aircraft to the squadrons. All pilots
are volunteers.

In MI when I was in H.S. they had a couple of Aeronca Champs and a 172,
donated by folks and maintained by bakes sales, airplane washes, etc.

In WI in the mid-'70s we had a 172, DeHaviland Beaver, and one or two others
with the maintenance donated by Kearny-Trecker.

In both places many members did own their own aircraft and donated a lot of
time.

Funding may have changed since I gave it up, but the
only paid missions were, for SAR, assigned by Scott AFB or by the
state for training exercises.

My recollection, also.

Any othe flying (training/currency) was out
of pocket, but was reasonable.

Ayup. A good way to get some "free" time was to take the Cadets up on some
of the syllabus flights that taught basic pilotage and other nav. skills.
Funding for that came from donated funds in both places.

The main reason I dropped out was the
politics and, as a 30 military year retiree, being treated like a snuffy

by
former WW II Corporals and Privates wearing LtCol leaves.

Ain't it the truth!!!!!

And the PAPERWORK! Imagine U.S.A.F. regulations, reports, and general ethos
applied to a part time organization with almost no funding.

Still, the CAP helped get me through private pilot ground school. In WI it
was a way to get some free flight time. And it is a VERY worthwhile
organization to help youngsters stay away from some of society's less savory
passtimes.

And, of course, the Navy Wings got more than a few stares, comments, and
inquiries!g

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.