Old February 14th 04, 07:19 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, EDR wrote:

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Crikey, the Cub will pretty much fly at 1500 rpm.
I bring it back to the stop. Then I goose it every couple or three
minutes--I've never noticed how frequently.

John, you have to remember that modern instructors do not teach
"clearing the engine" as we were taught with the Champs, Cubs, etc.

Really? I got my PPL in 2002, from an instructor who'd only being flying
for four years (yes, aviation's favourite whipping boy, the 21-year old
career-bound instructor...) and engine clearing every 1000ft or so was
absolutely standard procedure.

Some instructors might not teach it, but the club I'm with does at least.
(My instructor had been taught by our Chief Flight Instructor, who was
also my PPL flight test examiner...)

Brian.