Old July 20th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Noise issues with Oudie 2 in a couple different aircraft

On Friday, July 18, 2014 9:19:00 PM UTC-7, Doug Mueller wrote:
Is anybody else having noise issues when the Oudie is hard wired

to ships power. I know two aircraft that have the squelch turned on

to try to drown out the noise on the radio. I believe it is from the

Oudie while it is being charged. I recently added the Oudie to the

aircraft and now the radio will not cancel out after receiving a

transmission. I have tried wrapping the wiring of the oudie and the

gps cables to try andshield them but it isnt helping. After I turn off

the Oudie the radio returns to normal. Thanks, Doug

Besides adding the ferrite beads as already suggested, you should take a look at the power distribution. Ideally, all power returns (sometimes erroneously called "grounds") should come to a common single-point ground. Daisy-chaining these returns to various instruments will couple electrical noise from one to others. Have that single point connection as close to the battery as possible, with the lead going to the battery as large as practicable.
Tom