Old December 12th 20, 01:51 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FFKQ (42) View Post
First off, I have Asperger's. Secondly, I'm a long-time glider pilot and instructor. I (and my club) have trained several student pilots with Autism Spectrum Disorder over the years, some successfully, some not.

The main area I see as problematic is "Executive Function". This is partly the ability to problem-solve, to create a series of logical steps to reach a desired conclusion. "What if" situations can be very difficult, especially as the stress levels increase. Keeping control of emotions is also part of Executive Function, so not getting into a panic situation as the stress rises can be a challenge.

One conversation I had with a parent when I wouldn't send a kid solo... "How well does he drive the car?" "Oh, we don't trust him to drive the car!" "Then why do you expect me to turn him loose in an airplane?" He was technically a decent student pilot -- when things were going well -- but he could get frustrated and "shut down" when things went awry (Like being asked to divert to a different runway, even with plenty of safety margin).

Just remember, "If you've met one person with autism, you've met ONE person with autism" (Dr. Steven Shore). Find out the weaknesses and work on them.. Find out the strengths and use those to offset the weaknesses. It might take longer to get to solo, the person may never solo, the person may get through the training without problems. It all depends on the person.

- John
My experience has been that it is never a good thing to share your place on the spectrum with others, the bias and prejudice that can occur can be problematic. Most Asperger's are highly intelligent and can learn that which is necessary to fly quite safely. As is always the case there are exceptions to the rule, individual evaluation is critical. Although not an instructor myself I have seen many students in both power and gliders who should not be flying and many if not most are among the "Neurotypical' crowd.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.