Old November 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Stewart Kissel

I get to do this about a dozen times a summer, from
a public 8,000' agl airport that gets warm...behind
a cub. Not that I particularly like doing it, but
otherwise no flying. Typically I also have to deal
with a crosswind. My technique as follows, not saying
this is the only way but has worked for me.

1.) The ship is going to weathervane...so I line up
downwind of center line.

2.) I also point the nose slightly downwind.

3.) The downwind wing goes on the ground, this helps
slow down the weathervane and also allows the wing
to be picked up later.

As the tow commences...the weathervane starts, and
quite quickly...heading towards the center line on
an angle from the leeward side. This typically allows
the downwind wing to be ruddered up. As I approach
the centerline I attempt to rudder straight and get
the windward wing down.

Some operations such as Warner Springs launch from
a diagnol..and it sort of the same idea.

I also make a point of being friendly to the airport
bums...so as to have an alternative to this technique