Old January 29th 04, 07:14 PM
Chris Nicholas

Marc Ramsey wrote "OK, I'm curious. How many of you have had to recover
from a fully
developed (greater than one turn), unintentional spin that occurred
during normal non-aerobatic flight?" [snip]

Not me personally, but I have known, or known of, several pilots who
did. Most died, after cable breaks, mismanaged aftermath, and spins
into the ground from about 600 feet. Of two who survived, one couldn't
explain why he didn't effect prompt recovery - has since given up
gliding. The other I referred to earlier - didn't realise it was a
spin, thought tail had come off.

You may not get many first person replies, because those who did are
mostly no longer with us. I would hope our training regimes strive to
prevent too many more, not only by Eric Greenwell's 4, 3 and 2 (which I
entirely support) but also by 1, time and again, until people no longer
fail to realise what they have done when they somehow skip over 4, 3,
and 2, stop panicking, and can recover.

Chris N.