Old May 18th 04, 11:23 AM
Vaughn

"tango4" wrote in message

"Vaughn" wrote in message
Trimmed ....
As simple and cheap as pulse oxymetry has become, perhaps what we

really
need is a simple monitoring and ALARM unit designed for cockpit use. I

happen
to have a Nonin Flitestat but find that it has severe limitations in the
cockpit.

Vaughn

I'd be interested in your opinions on why there are 'severe limitations in
the cockpit '. Could you please elaborate Vaughn

First of all, let me say the the Flitestat is a wonderful instrument for
the purpose I obtained it, which has nothing to do with flying. It was just
last week that I first got a chance to try it in the air.
The main problem is the red LED display which was nearly invisible in
sunlight, even when flying under a cloud shadow. A second problem is the form
of the instrument which nearly procludes piloting while you are checking your O2
level.
I recently saw some disposable tape-on sensors that look like a much better
idea, and there is always the ear clip which may be better yet.

Vaughn

Ian