Missing from the FAA database now

Old May 25th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Missing from the FAA database now

My Dad went to show a friend of his the FAA database and that his son is
a pilot. It didn't find me so he called me. I checked and low and
behold it didn't find me. It now even asked me for a state or country
to search! I had requested my address not be displayed very shortly
after getting my license over two years ago and the database just always
said something like "address not available".

So this morning I use the link to send a question to airmen services.
And in less than 4 hours get a response that I have a PPSEL that was
issued on XX/XX/XX and on XX/XX/XX they received notice that I didn't
want my address made available to the public and my information would
not longer be available to the public. What amazed me is that I'm
removed from public view in the database. What was even more amazing
was getting a response from the FAA in a matter of hours!

Chris
Old May 26th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:
My Dad went to show a friend of his the FAA database and that his son is
a pilot. It didn't find me so he called me.

No, it means that the FAA is finally complying with the LAW!

A few years back the FAA came to the realization that they
were in flagrant violation of the Privacy Act in making
the airman information public. They immediately took
the database down. This was immediately followed by
a bunch of whining and crying from commercial interests
who looked to exploit the data in exact ways that the
privacy act was designed to prevent.

Congress passed an exemption to the Privacy Act that said
that the data may be made public provided pilots were
given the chance to opt out. However, for several years
the FAA chose to misimplement this as only making the
mailing address unavailable. This is CONTRARY to the
LAW. The LAW and the legislative history that led up
to it was clear. A pilot could request ALL data to be
removed from public view.

I have been fighting this battle up the FAA heirarchy
and even enlisted my US Senators. Finally, I think
someone realized that it is a bad idea in the name of
national security and the ever growing problems with
identity theft to not implement it the right way.
Since they only really have one field for "releasability"
it looks like that has gone from just being the "no
address given out" to the "no records given out.

I am no longer listed. The public has no business
knowing what ratings I have, when my medical expires,
and the nature of any restrictions to my medical
certificate (this I found particularly annoying for
the several years that I was operating under a special
issuance).
Old May 26th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Natalie wrote:
The public has no business knowing what ratings I have

I'm not sure I agree with you. Let's say I want to hire you as a pilot.
Should I not have the right to verify your credentials?
Old May 26th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you want to hire me as a limo driver, I have to request a copy of my
driving from the RMV. You also need my permission to do a criminal
background check or credit check on me. It should work the same way for
pilots.

Old May 26th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I'm not sure I agree with you. Let's say I want to hire you as a pilot.
Should I not have the right to verify your credentials?

If you want to hire me as a limo driver, I have to request a copy of my
driving from the RMV. You also need my permission to do a criminal
background check or credit check on me. It should work the same way for
pilots.

Exactly. Someone seeking employment has the right to have any party
disclose any records they may have about that person. The point is that the
party should not be disclosing that information without the express
permission of the person.

Pete

Old May 26th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

If you want to hire me as a limo driver, I have to request a copy of my
driving from the RMV. You also need my permission to do a criminal
background check or credit check on me. It should work the same way for
pilots.

Exactly. Someone seeking employment has the right to have any party
disclose any records they may have about that person. The point is that the
party should not be disclosing that information without the express
permission of the person.

any relevant records, not any records.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 26th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Natalie wrote:
I am no longer listed. The public has no business
knowing what ratings I have, when my medical expires,
and the nature of any restrictions to my medical
certificate

hey! neither am I; cool! do you know when they
made the switch?

--Sylvain
Old May 26th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure I agree with you. Let's say I want to hire you as a pilot.
Should I not have the right to verify your credentials?

If you want to hire me as a limo driver, I have to request a copy of my driving from the RMV. You also need my
permission to do a criminal background check or credit check on me. It should work the same way for pilots.

Exactly. Someone seeking employment has the right to have any party disclose any records they may have about that
person. The point is that the party should not be disclosing that information without the express permission of the
person.

Pete

Permission in implied by the act of applying for the job, or the offering of services, etc...

Old May 26th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

".Blueskies." wrote in message
Permission in implied by the act of applying for the job, or the offering
of services, etc...

No it's not. Most state and federal regulations require explicit permission
for protected information.

Old May 26th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sylvain wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:
I am no longer listed. The public has no business
knowing what ratings I have, when my medical expires,
and the nature of any restrictions to my medical
certificate

hey! neither am I; cool! do you know when they
made the switch?

Nearly 4 years ago I disappeared from the "airmen" database. After many
phone calls to my AME who had retired and to the FAA the trouble was the
FAA had lost the record of my medical examination. I had the doc
resubmit and a few months later (!) all was fine.