single pilot ifr trip tonight

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 30th 03, 04:44 PM
Maule Driver

"Lynne Miller" wrote in message
om...
I am sorry if this offends anybody, however this sentence "It did give
me a very good appreciation for GPS though... I wouldn't fly
passengers in actual without it..." is quite concerning to me. I
understand that each person has a different comfort level, but what is
happening to the pilots of today when we are no longer comfortable
flying passengers without the use of GPS? What happened to VOR and ADF
skills? Maybe rather than not flying passengers without GPS, it would
be a better idea of going to get some dual in VOR and ADF usage so you
are comfortable flying with passengers without the use of GPS.

Valid point. On my last CC I spent some time practicing my VOR navigation
simply because once again I found myself losing what little 'touch' I had.
Haven't done a VOR approach in awhile though.

I don't have an ADF - only have book learning and with zero experience.

I think the opposite applies in some cases - while a lot of people rely on
GPSs, not everyone is proficient using the particular unit they are relying
on. They seem both easier and more challenging if that's possible.