free logbook software for pilots

Old January 13th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default free logbook software for pilots

"Grumman-581" wrote in message ...
".Blueskies." wrote in message
m...
Where did your logbook come from?

I'm a software developer, I wrote it myself... I wanted full control over
how each entry is stored on my computer so that I am not orphaned by some
other developer that no longer supports some particular product... I figured
that if I can do telemetry software for the Space Shuttle, I could do a
simple log book...

Sounds good - do you have a copy of it for beta users?

Old January 14th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

".Blueskies." wrote in message
. ..
Sounds good - do you have a copy of it for beta users?

No, I do not want to get to the point of having to support a user base...
It's a work in progress mainly... Every once in awhile, I think up some new
thing that I would like it to do and add it... I don't make the different
versions backward compatible with previous versions, since having a user
base of ONE allows me to get away with this sort of thing...

Old January 14th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Many years ago I used WORKS database [DOS 2.0 version] to
create a logbook, that automatically updated totals and also
gave the date for 90 day and night currency landings. I
don't use it, seemed to be a lot of trouble to use, but that
was before the days of the PDA.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Grumman-581" wrote
in message ...

Old January 14th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Grumman-581 wrote:
".Blueskies." wrote in message
. ..
Sounds good - do you have a copy of it for beta users?

No, I do not want to get to the point of having to support a user base...
It's a work in progress mainly... Every once in awhile, I think up some new
thing that I would like it to do and add it... I don't make the different
versions backward compatible with previous versions, since having a user
base of ONE allows me to get away with this sort of thing...

Well, why don't you release builds once in a while, and ignore any pleas
for help?

Better yet, how about releasing the source code?

-jav
Old January 14th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message news:qS_xf.43022$QW2.8123@dukeread08...
Many years ago I used WORKS database [DOS 2.0 version] to
create a logbook, that automatically updated totals and also
gave the date for 90 day and night currency landings. I
don't use it, seemed to be a lot of trouble to use, but that
was before the days of the PDA.

I've gone through various stages with mine... Initially, I started it out as
a MS Excel spreadsheet... That worked fine until I got to the point where I
wanted to put more characters in the text description field than was allowed
(255, IIRC)... I then switched to a MS Access database... I was using MS SQL
Server for some stuff at work at that time and I didn't like the fact that
between one version of SQL Server and another, some of my SQL code wasn't
working the same, so I got ****ed off at MS and decided to change my logbook
app to just a proprietary file format so that I wouldn't have to worry about
that eventually happening to it...

Old January 15th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in news:1137171740.966578.80280
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

snip

behave correctly (I've been trying to avoid using a full fledged
database and keep it embedded, but I might have to scrap that idea and
move to something like MySQL). If I ever get my version up and going

snip

You don't have to choose. You can have most of the features of MySQL
embedded.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/apis.html

disclaimer: I am in no way involved with or connected to MySQL other than
as a developer and fan.

peace
dt

ps. Fascinating to me how many developers we have here.