Time to buy European gliders?

Old February 9th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Yeates

Default Time to buy European gliders?

Since last November, the US$ / Euro ratio has improved thereby lowering the
price of a PW-6 by 9.0%, saving US$ 4700 -- enough to pay ocean shipping
cost -- it is the same for other European made sailplanes. Let's hope the
ratio holds or improves more. It changes daily.

Old February 9th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Feb 9, 12:47*pm, "Charles Yeates" wrote:
Since last November, the US$ / Euro ratio has improved thereby lowering the
price of a PW-6 by 9.0%, saving US$ 4700 -- *enough to pay ocean shipping
cost -- it is the same for other European made sailplanes. Let's hope the
ratio holds or improves more. It changes daily.

Yup - we're just waiting for Greece, Ireland and Iceland to declare
themselves bankrupt, which should cause the Euro to plummet!

Mike
Old February 10th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Will the Euro tank before Euro glider manufacturers are regulated out
of existence? The race is on.

Old February 10th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Feb 9, 2:47*pm, "Charles Yeates" wrote:
Since last November, the US$ / Euro ratio has improved thereby lowering the
price of a PW-6 by 9.0%, saving US$ 4700 -- *enough to pay ocean shipping
cost -- it is the same for other European made sailplanes. Let's hope the
ratio holds or improves more. It changes daily.

Just THINK how much you'll save on an Antares !
Let me know when you'e ready to place your order
for a shiny new Antares 18 pure glider, 18T sustainer,
or 20E dream machine.

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old February 10th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

To paraphrase an early 20th century entrepreneur, "The best time to
buy a European glider is when you have money."

..02NO
Old February 10th 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarpilot

On Feb 9, 8:12*pm, Tuno wrote:
To paraphrase an early 20th century entrepreneur, "The best time to
buy a European glider is when you have money."

.02NO

Lest we forget the used markets as well. I bought a Grob 102 CS last
year with 1500 hours on her, incl. trailer, for about half of what I
could find one on the used market in the US. I shipped it in from
Britain. The savings I experienced was at least 50%, even after
paying Ro Ro from UK to US (about 3200 USD). I did the customs work
myself (don't let anyone tell you that you can't do the paperwork and
must have a broker, it's simply not true) and was in and out of
customs as well as pier services in a bit over two hours. The GBP was
much worse then than now but bargains keep popping up on the British
glider sales site.

BTW ... if you do the customs work yourself, the counter clerk will
certainly tell you to get a broker ... at which time you should insist
on seeing a supervisor ... and then present your very accurate and
complete paperwork. It was easy from this point for me, as the
supervisor explained you really should have a broker but it wasn't
required by law. You can see that the broker agencies likely dine the
customs department frequently .... nuff said.

T2

Old February 10th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

On Feb 9, 7:12*pm, Tuno wrote:
To paraphrase an early 20th century entrepreneur, "The best time to
buy a European glider is when you have money."

.02NO

He also said of the price, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it,"
which bears a certain resemblance to gliders

John Cochrane
Old February 10th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Feb 10, 1:29*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
er, can I make one instead?

Brad

Uh, Brad, aren't you making an "American" glider rather than a
"European" one?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

hmmmmmm......................good point Ray!

Brad
Old February 11th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Feb 10, 3:36*pm, Brad wrote:
On Feb 10, 1:29*pm, rlovinggood wrote:

er, can I make one instead?

Brad

Uh, Brad, aren't you making an "American" glider rather than a
"European" one?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

hmmmmmm......................good point Ray!

Brad

paint it white and make sure the canopy opens from the left instead of
the right. no one will know the difference
Old February 11th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 11, 4:44*am, Tony wrote:

paint it white and make sure the canopy opens from the left instead of
the right. no one will know the difference

Real sailplanes have front-hinged canopies...