Please write to Representative and Senators (United States)

Old January 15th 13, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Please write to Representative and Senators (United States)

Hello all, well I've done a bit of research. I now come to you, as sailplane pilots, to ask your help. I have been told that e mails do not carry weight. The thing that gets attention is the fact that someone took the time to sit down and compose a letter, on paper and send it. That carries weight. I've been told our local FAA rep is being "held back" .

If you would happen to have a Nuclear Facility in your area, you perhaps, can relate.

Please write to our Representative and Senators below to increase the "weight" of the subject in their inbox. Numbers count. (Not as much as 500,000 dollars from an energy company), but it will get some attention. You have the possibility to fly at ANY gliderport and there are numerous nuclear facilities. We can address this locally and then you, too, might want to write to your local representative to be sure that it works it's way to the desk of Homeland Security.

I'll include my letter, so you have it for reference.

You might mention that you would fly, perhaps, here in our great state of South Carolina, and are concerned that this situation exists.

You may ask - why now and not months ago? We were waiting for AOPA to resolve this at a higher level. It hasn't happened. It may not be on their radar...ie "Barney loose in Darlington Cty."

The addresses follow:

The Honorable Mick Mulvaney
United States House of Representatives
1207 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515

The Honorable Tim Scott
United States Senate
113 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

The Honorable Lindsey Graham
United States Senate
290 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

January 15, 2013

The Honorable Mick Mulvaney
United States House of Representatives
1207 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representative Mulvaney,

Recently a story was published by AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) which explains my reason for writing to you for your assistance. I am co owner of Bermuda High Soaring School and a single engine pilot as well as a glider pilot. I am concerned that the problem addressed in the article and on line via video has not been solved. To understand the full story, please visit the AOPA website: http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...html?CMP=ADV:1 . In short, one of our pilots was “ordered” to land at Hartsville airport and arrested for “breach of peace” for flying in a “No Fly Zone”. He was held overnight and throughout the next day until he spoke with the FBI and Homeland Security. The FAA, the FBI, and Homeland Security all agreed that the pilot had broken no regulations. Darlington County continued to hold and charge the pilot with breach of peace. It was a 24 hour nightmare.

Bermuda High Soaring School is honored to host the 18 meter National Sailplane Competition this May 2013. We will have pilots competing from as far away as California and Canada. It does not reflect well on our state to be referred to as Mayberry, where Barney is required to carry his bullet in his pocket. I am reaching out for a voice of common sense, so that we may not have to go through this ordeal again. There are numerous Nuclear Stations all over the country. Will pilots everywhere feel that they too, may be arrested for passing over or circling near a Nuclear Station?

We have reached out to our Columbia FSDO office. The flight and arrest occurred in July 2012 and we have no resolution. We would appreciate your help in requesting our local FAA office to address the situation. The airspace above the Robinson Nuclear Plant is available for anyone to fly over, around and through. One point was brought to our attention is the security personal at the power plant could be in violation of Federal Aviation Regulation FAR §91.11 Prohibition on interference with crewmembers. No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crew- member in the performance of the crewmember’s duties aboard an aircraft being operated.

To address the issue of “Loitering” over a Nuclear Station, I offer the following information which was resolved ten years ago in 2002. The "No Loitering" Rule Flight Near and Over Power Plants, etc. Following the Sept. 11th attacks, the FAA issued NOTAMs restricting "loitering" in the area of power plants, national laboratories and other national security targets. The rules have presented some specific problems for glider pilots. Specifically the rules failed to define "how close is too close" and failed to take into account that "loitering" for a powered aircraft, that is turning in a circle, is actually a mode of flight for gliding. Common Sense - The issue about loitering is the volume of time spent in a given area. In FAA's view, according to our Washington contacts, gliders do not "loiter." That is, circling is a mode of flight for us and is acceptable at or near these facilities. The key is to spend only as much time as needed to gain lift and move on beyond the facility.

The South Carolina Governor’s School for Mathematics and Science is also in your district and we are very happy and proud to have been selected as a “mid semester" course facility for teaching six students to fly sailplanes. We just completed the course and were featured on the January 11, 2013 front page of the Lancaster News.

Any help you may offer to resolve this situation is appreciated. We look forward to a successful National Contest in May as well as many enjoyable Soaring days near Hartsville, SC in the future.

Sincerely,

Jayne Ewing Reid

Thank you all for your assistance in this matter. I don't know how to thank those who will take the time to write, as I'll not know who wrote, but just know I appreciate the support.

Warm Regards,

Jayne

JX

Old January 15th 13, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:26:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You may ask - why now and not months ago? We were waiting for AOPA to resolve this at a higher level. It hasn't happened.

Jayne,

I support your efforts 100%. What is SSA "government relations" position?
Old January 16th 13, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:09:53 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:26:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You may ask - why now and not months ago? We were waiting for AOPA to resolve this at a higher level. It hasn't happened.

Jayne,

I support your efforts 100%. What is SSA "government relations" position?

I wrote my letter. Thanks Jane! It's interesting that the AOPA was on top of this and SSA apparently is silent about it...kinda sad.
Old January 17th 13, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:05:10 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:09:53 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:26:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You may ask - why now and not months ago? We were waiting for AOPA to resolve this at a higher level. It hasn't happened.

Jayne,

I support your efforts 100%. What is SSA "government relations" position?

I wrote my letter. Thanks Jane! It's interesting that the AOPA was on top of this and SSA apparently is silent about it...kinda sad.

Actually, they are not silent about it at all, they have asked if they could help in any way.

The past chairman (AL) was notified via e mail as things were unfolding that very night that Robin RF1 went missing. The next day or so he contacted the government liaison (Steve SN). Both have been in contact with us and with Robin.

The SSA was involved from the start but Robin’s choice was to work with AOPA since they have substantially more resources available. It was also his choice to minimize publicity until the issues were resolved.

All involved (including Robin"s friends and fellow pilots) and AOPA agreed, that the best thing was to get Robin out of jail, passed the bond hearing, get through his court and continually work to get the charges dropped. After the dust settled and their would be less chance for anything to go "haywire",
(as you can understand, we did not want to upset the apple cart, as the basket was a few short to begin with...ended that with a preposition, but you get my drift)

Then the AOPA, Frank Reid and Robin began to really start aggressively
pursuing the solution to this dilemma including working with the FAA and various lawyers. Robin eventually settled his bill with the Hartsville lawyer and is now working with the AOPA recommended aviation lawyer solely.

We choose to go through AOPA because they are so much larger than the
SSA "With 384,915 members in 2012, AOPA is the largest aviation association in
the world" (per wiki - I just looked it up)

They really wanted to get the story. They sent down 4 or 5 people in a corporate
jet to film the story. Pretty impressive. Frank and Robin spent hours and hours speaking with them on the phone and sending them all the information they needed. Frank and Robin researched the facts and sources. Frank spent countless hours trying to get it all clearly and factually stated. I think AOPA did a wonderful job explaining and illustrating the ordeal. They also worked on their end to come to a solution before the story went public. Robin wanted the situation to be resolved for all Soaring pilots. If this could happen to him, it could happen to any other pilot over any other Nuclear facility. The AOPA wrote a wonderful letter to Janet Napolitano, US Department of Homeland Security. The reply, however was very general and less than what we expected.

I think the AOPA did a wonderful job explaining the events and they tried to get it resolved. We are just not quite there yet.

Thanks all for your interest and support. As one of our fellow soaring pilots put it "Robin took the bullet for all of us"
We look forward to a positive resolution.
Warm Regards,
Jayne