CNv Vario Software Update (6/7/13)

Old June 8th 13, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default CNv Vario Software Update (6/7/13)

2.2.1304 available here http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

Fixes a couple of bugs in 2.1.1281. Details in release notes.

Please visit our forum for discussion of all things ClearNav
http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old June 8th 13, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:17:40 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
2.2.1304 available here http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

Excuse me, that should be 2.1.1304.

Old June 8th 13, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim - 77

On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:17:40 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
2.2.1304 available here http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

Fixes a couple of bugs in 2.1.1281. Details in release notes.

Evan, would it be too much to ask to tell us what bugs are fixed...too say "a couple of bugs are fixed" is just not adequate.

I am trying hard to figure out what this vario is doing and I would appreciate more precise comments

Thanks, Jim Price

Old June 8th 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Release Notes: ClearNavVario 2.1.1304 2013-06-07

Minor Bug Fixes:

Warnings (Gear, Spoilers) fixed to eliminate a SPOILER alarm during the landing rollout. The alarm will now reset to the normal “before launch” mode 60 seconds after the speed has dropped below 25 knots during the landing phase. In other words, expect a SPOILER alarm after landing unless the spoilers are locked!

Pointer indicates zero on the ground in all modes (TE, N, RN)

Pointer Zero screen relocated to the Vario Settings ribbon

Volume Adjust screen changed to a range of 0 – 25

Old June 8th 13, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

The great thing about software control of parameters is
that one can change them; a simple program for the PC to change sime basic
settings would be good.
I have downloaded a recent uprgrade but there remains for me
two items which need attention.

1. changing the short climb smoothing to something which
better reflects a fuill circle
2. control of -ve and -ve audio thresholds to provide a dead band.

Changing any setting in flight ( unless you are alone in wave)
is distracting and potentialy dangerous; eg changing the
MacCready value.

a really valuable addition would be an output for a zero reader
for cruise. ( faster slower) the sinking audio tone is inaudible
behind the airflow noise. A small vertical scale meter can be installed on
the instument cowl well forward.; no need to refocus.
I had such an indicator on a vario-computer made for the
1970 WGC and it was very useful.

These days one could have array of LED s under a cowl
instead of a meter ( with intensity control), maybe blinking to register in
the peripheral vision; anything to replace constantly referring to the
vario.

Evan now has something to work on.
Please give me a zero reader output!

John Firth Ottawa. ( PIK 20E)

At 11:39 08 June 2013, Jim - 77 wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2013 10:05:32 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
Release Notes: ClearNavVario 2.1.1304 2013-06-07
=20
=20
=20
Minor Bug Fixes:
=20
=20
=20
Warnings (Gear, Spoilers) fixed to eliminate a SPOILER alarm during the

l=
anding rollout. The alarm will now reset to the normal =93before
launch=94=
mode 60 seconds after the speed has dropped below 25 knots during the
land=
ing phase. In other words, expect a SPOILER alarm after landing unless
the=
spoilers are locked!
=20
=20
=20
Pointer indicates zero on the ground in all modes (TE, N, RN)
=20
=20
=20
Pointer Zero screen relocated to the Vario Settings ribbon
=20
=20
=20
Volume Adjust screen changed to a range of 0 =96 25

Evan, thanks....Jim

Old June 8th 13, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Pardon my ignorance... what's a "zero reader"?

20s climb averager is most of one circle for most pilots in most conditions.. The variable climb averager that starts at zero on the climb transition and then increases with time up to 20s dates back at least as far back as the C-302. I'm sort of puzzled at the notion that someone doesn't like this.....

Mc will be (shortly) selectable on XC version through CN flight computer and remote control on stick. This does take a glance or two, but you don't have to reach for anything. There are flight computers with an auto Mc function. I'm 95% certain this isn't of interest to the CN customer base (that might be an interesting topic on the CN forum).

Deadbands work in latest releases. I have not tried all options, but "default" is a good place to start. Improvements will continue.

Documentation does have to do some catching up....

Evan Ludeman for CNi

Old June 8th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

I'm amazed that anyone (especially someone with John's experience) wants
something to look at in the glider (focussing near field) instead of
looking at the sky/terrain/other sailplanes.

The speed to fly audio is a zero reader, using the sense not being used for
the important stuff. All the top Worlds pilots now say it doesn't matter
much what speed you fly, but it's essential to be flying in the right bit
of sky.

And I find the CNv averager fantastic (not to mention the magic auto
cruise/climb and wind info). Two simple numbers, last circle and whole
climb. When A drops below B time to go.

Old June 9th 13, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Müller

Hi Evan,

can you tell us, when the XC Version will be available?

Regards
Alexander