A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cobra trailer trim

Old September 5th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cobra trailer trim

Hi steve. Tell us about your project. It sounds exciting. The previous owner of my 25 (lee Hallerberg) had it lengthened at the factory to make more storage room up front.

Dale
Old September 5th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cobra trailer trim

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:36:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi steve. Tell us about your project. It sounds exciting.

Well, I wouldn't really describe it as "exciting". But, there have been times where there was some level of "excitement" along the way.

My trailer stretch is a re-build of a wrecked 25 trailer. Jack-knifed with the plane in it, caved in the left side of the trailer ahead of the axles, but didn't hurt the plane. Purchased as a project with new floor, side wall, and channel for bottom of clamshell. Had it repaired out in Williams, CA, by a friend of Rex Mayes. Hauled to Minden, where it got loaded with a LOT of stuff I had purchased. Wasn't long enough for the 19 meter wings, so back end of top was drilled off, and moved back two feet with old plywood extensions on the sides. Tail gate was held up by duct tape and the not yet installed floor guide tracks that were stuck out just passed the end of the tailgate. Inside was placed a complete BS1(the stretched set of wings sticking out the back), a set of partially built HP-14 wings, an HP-14 fuselage, salvaged sections of sidewall and top channnel extrusion. On top was a salvaged section of floor, and another set of HP-14 wings, roots forward, one tip on each side of the vertical fin doghouse. Genuine Beverly Hillbillys rig. Oh, and only two wheels on the two axles. One axle just going along for the ride.

Trailer bottom extended using floor and side extrusion salvaged from the removed wrecked pieces. Top extended using slavaged sections of channel extrusion and newly purchased aluminum sheet. Doghouse extended by cutting out the back wall and extending it aft to the new back end of the trailer. New top made for the extension on the doghouse. Will try to get some pictures of the project progress and provide a link.

Currently working all the little fixtures to hold the various parts of the plane in the trailer. It has certainly been an interesting project.

The plane is the BSK. Started life as BS1 serial 16. Modified by Klaus Keim to extend the wings from 18 to 19 meters, replaced the all flying stabilator with a tail from an early Kestrel (stab and elevator), pointed nose, two piece canopy (to replace the 6 foot long, one piece lift off and set on the ground original), gear and 5 inch wheel from a Kestrel in place of the original 4 inch wheel, parallelogram control stick, and water ballast (a whopping 110 lbs!).

I will continue to say "I should get it going later this year" until I actually do get it going.

Steve