Cobra trailer trim

Old September 5th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra trailer trim

Hi steve. Tell us about your project. It sounds exciting. The previous owner of my 25 (lee Hallerberg) had it lengthened at the factory to make more storage room up front.

Dale
Old September 5th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:36:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi steve. Tell us about your project. It sounds exciting.

Well, I wouldn't really describe it as "exciting". But, there have been times where there was some level of "excitement" along the way.

My trailer stretch is a re-build of a wrecked 25 trailer. Jack-knifed with the plane in it, caved in the left side of the trailer ahead of the axles, but didn't hurt the plane. Purchased as a project with new floor, side wall, and channel for bottom of clamshell. Had it repaired out in Williams, CA, by a friend of Rex Mayes. Hauled to Minden, where it got loaded with a LOT of stuff I had purchased. Wasn't long enough for the 19 meter wings, so back end of top was drilled off, and moved back two feet with old plywood extensions on the sides. Tail gate was held up by duct tape and the not yet installed floor guide tracks that were stuck out just passed the end of the tailgate. Inside was placed a complete BS1(the stretched set of wings sticking out the back), a set of partially built HP-14 wings, an HP-14 fuselage, salvaged sections of sidewall and top channnel extrusion. On top was a salvaged section of floor, and another set of HP-14 wings, roots forward, one tip on each side of the vertical fin doghouse. Genuine Beverly Hillbillys rig. Oh, and only two wheels on the two axles. One axle just going along for the ride.

Trailer bottom extended using floor and side extrusion salvaged from the removed wrecked pieces. Top extended using slavaged sections of channel extrusion and newly purchased aluminum sheet. Doghouse extended by cutting out the back wall and extending it aft to the new back end of the trailer. New top made for the extension on the doghouse. Will try to get some pictures of the project progress and provide a link.

Currently working all the little fixtures to hold the various parts of the plane in the trailer. It has certainly been an interesting project.

The plane is the BSK. Started life as BS1 serial 16. Modified by Klaus Keim to extend the wings from 18 to 19 meters, replaced the all flying stabilator with a tail from an early Kestrel (stab and elevator), pointed nose, two piece canopy (to replace the 6 foot long, one piece lift off and set on the ground original), gear and 5 inch wheel from a Kestrel in place of the original 4 inch wheel, parallelogram control stick, and water ballast (a whopping 110 lbs!).

I will continue to say "I should get it going later this year" until I actually do get it going.

Steve

2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 02:11 AM
Cobra trailer trim. Bob Soaring 12 July 19th 06 05:12 AM
Help - Cobra Trailer Trim? WDM Soaring 2 January 12th 05 07:47 PM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM