Why The Hell... (random rant)

Old April 5th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why The Hell... (random rant)

DR writes:

LOL! How do _you_ do that exactly?

I don't. I know the direction of true north at my location, and I don't go
anywhere else.

Old April 5th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
CJ

"Tim" wrote in message

Not all planes have GPSes. In fact, most don't. Many of the haldheld
units fail. \

A bit OT, but I was delivering a sailboat from Ventura to Richmond one
November, and the handheld GPS died in heavy fog under the Golden Gate
Bridge. We replaced batteries, figured out it was not the unit, and
navigated by fog horns to the east bay. Sometimes, you just have to know
how to drive (boat, plane, car). And, you can't _simulate_ the real feeling
when a Golden Gate ferry blows across your port bow assuming (and hoping)
his radar saw you.

-CJ

Old April 5th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

DR wrote:
LOL! My BS meter just went off scale!

Be careful! Exposure to anything over 3 MX posts/m^2/kg/hr (equivalent
to 4,500 Dumbass/kg/hr) is toxic to brain matter.

Declination?

Next I suppose he'll start in on rhumb lines. :P

TheSmokingnu
Old April 5th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

"It must be true - I found it on the internet"

I think you'll find that the more you research about the geomagnetic field,
the less reliable you find it to be for navigation.

Old April 5th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

DR wrote:
Declination in navigation is actually
something else but I'll let you googgle for it.

I'm not sure that's really true. In aviation we talk about variation,
but when I'm using 7.5' topo maps on the ground, declination is the term
used for the difference
between magnetic and true north. (See the bottom left of a US DOI
Geologic Survey 7.5' topo.)
Variation and declination are defined the same
If there's a more sophisticated use of the word declination in
navigation, I'm willing to be enlightened.
Old April 5th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"flynrider via AviationKB. wrote

I can relate. I have a video that I took on a cross country flight, of
my
mag compass doing rapid 360s. It lasted about 5 min. and there were no
magnetic anomolies listed on the chart in that area. There were also no
UFO
sightings reported that day :-))

Well, nobody else has asked, but I'm sure others (besides me) are thinking
it! ;-)

Well, were you in the "Bermuda Triangle" or not? g

Where (about) were you?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 5th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

In order to recognize the landmark, you need something more than a
compass.

It is called a chart. If you have a chart and a compass, you are
all set.

--Sylvain
Old April 5th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On Apr 4, 6:05 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
EridanMan writes:
I'm sorry... call me lazy, but if your not going to keep them all
updated with Magnetic north, then at least stick them on a standard
baseline... True North, for example?

I think aviation should have started moving towards true north for everything
long ago, but that's just me.

Bwahahwhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhahwawhawhawh

OH BTW doooofus, I'm getting closer and closer. Oh wait, you're not
birght enough to even know what a header eeez.

bertie

RANT! wise purchaser Owning 2 March 27th 07 10:04 PM
Random thoughts 2 Bill Daniels Soaring 6 September 1st 06 05:37 AM
A Jeppesen rant Peter R. Piloting 4 January 17th 05 03:54 AM
Why didn't GWB [insert rant] Jack Military Aviation 1 July 15th 04 11:30 PM
Random Hold Generator... Tina Marie Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 5th 03 04:21 PM