New Year weight loss plans ???

Old January 4th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Year weight loss plans ???

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message
You guys are thinking way too high tech. My son recommends a skateboard.

I've seen motorized ones of those also... I seem to also remember seeing an
add for a motorized rollerblade type device...

Old January 4th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:SITuf.6463$tJ1.645@trndny01...
Definitely a candidate for the UMGOMS award. Probably wouldn't have won,

though.
The winner cost a lot more.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/news_col...323957,00.html

That site requires registration... (Disabling JavaScript doesn't get around
it though)...

Old January 4th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote

After some assembly, you ended up riding on top of the closed suitcase.
Cool
idea. Gas powered, IIRC.

So you do remember seeing it? I'm hopeful I was not hallucinating. (again)
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

We always see the annoying gas-powered versions of those things at OSH.
I've never yet seen anyone kill themselves on them, yet, but I always watch
anyway...

I regularly do some pretty stupid things on mountain bikes (scars to
show for it) but wouldn't be tempted to actually use one of the
motorized scooters (aka "gopeds") for transportation.

The front wheel is small enough that even a small obstacle can cause
an endo, and the geometry is usually such that there's little or no
trail in the front end geometry (trail is what makes the rear wheels
in a shopping cart and the front wheel on a bike tend toward inherent
stability). Without that, the front wheel will want to take off one
direction or the other at the slightest input.

There's no reason there couldn't be a "safer goped" design, with a
front wheel in the 12-14" range, and inherently stable geometry (draw
a line through the steering axis, and if the wheel's contact point
with the ground is behind the axis, it's stable).

Mark "brave but not stupid" Hickey
Former wife would disagree
Old January 4th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Mark Hickey" wrote

(draw
a line through the steering axis, and if the wheel's contact point
with the ground is behind the axis, it's stable).

A bike is not in agreement with your statement. Yet it is stable. Any idea
as to why?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
After some assembly, you ended up riding on top of the closed suitcase. Cool idea. Gas powered, IIRC.

I can picture it. That would be cool...

The Monk

Old January 5th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

("Flyingmonk" wrote)
After some assembly, you ended up riding on top of the closed suitcase.
Cool idea. Gas powered, IIRC.

I can picture it. That would be cool...

On top of the 'upright' closed suitcase - you're essentially sitting on the
handle. Like riding a miniature horse - with wheels.

Montblack

Old January 5th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote

(draw
a line through the steering axis, and if the wheel's contact point
with the ground is behind the axis, it's stable).

A bike is not in agreement with your statement. Yet it is stable. Any idea
as to why?

Actually, it is... the steering axis is canted (usually by 16-18
degrees). Remember what matters is the relationship between the
steering axis (a line drawn through the center of the head tube, or
fork's "steer tube"), and the point the front wheel touches the ground
(not where the steering axis crosses the wheel, which is ahead of the
steering axis line). Don't get misled by the centerline of the fork's
blades, which can be canted to the front, putting the axle ahead of
the steering axis - it's the contact patch that counts.

It's a lot easier to visualize if you're looking at a bike - the
steering axis line passes clearly ahead of the front tire's contact
patch (by 2.5 - 3" on most bikes). In effect, this produces the same
kind of results that a shopping cart's rear wheels does - the front
wheel wants to "trail" behind the steering axis. It can also get you
in trouble when you hit a very steep bump or get the rear wheel up in
the air a bit (since the contact patch can end up ahead of the
steering axis, and can take the bars out of the rider's hands if
he/she isn't paying attention).

Mark "and I always hate it when that happens" Hickey
Old January 5th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Mark Hickey" wrote

Don't get misled by the centerline of the fork's
blades, which can be canted to the front, putting the axle ahead of
the steering axis - it's the contact patch that counts.

Got it.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

I regularly do some pretty stupid things on mountain bikes (scars to
show for it) but wouldn't be tempted to actually use one of the
motorized scooters (aka "gopeds") for transportation.

Maybe you should try one. I probably have several thousand miles on mine,
and it is by far the most convenient thing to carry as simple ground
transportation in a small plane. I've used it on all kinds of terrain and
it's no more prone to "endoing" than any bike I've ridden; the CG is way too
low to do that - you'd get thrown off the front if anything (which hasn't
happened to me).

Then again, "I ain't skerd" to ride anything. My favorite bike is the penny
farthing with a 4' front wheel. Now THAT thing will endo!