18 Meter Nationals

Old June 30th 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default 18 Meter Nationals

On Jun 29, 1:19*pm, Brad wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:59*am, Mike C wrote:

On Jun 29, 12:04*pm, M North wrote:

How many Chip Garners are there?

Very few. It seems soaring becomes mystical with him, and compared to
my dismal abilities, mythical.

Mike,

Ditto...........too bad a more competent racing pilot wasn't able to
fly the Tetra-15 in our R8 contest. I did not do the ship any justice.
I believe it has a lot of potential.

Brad

Brad,

What type of performance does the Tetra-15 have? Any side by side
glide tests?

Mike
Old June 30th 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jun 29, 5:32*pm, Mike C wrote:
On Jun 29, 1:19*pm, Brad wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:59*am, Mike C wrote:

On Jun 29, 12:04*pm, M North wrote:

How many Chip Garners are there?

Very few. It seems soaring becomes mystical with him, and compared to
my dismal abilities, mythical.

Mike,

Ditto...........too bad a more competent racing pilot wasn't able to
fly the Tetra-15 in our R8 contest. I did not do the ship any justice.
I believe it has a lot of potential.

Brad

Brad,

What type of performance does the Tetra-15 have? *Any side by side
glide tests?

Mike

Mike,

So far side-by-side testing shows it has very good performance in
climb and sink rate. The light-ish wing loading during high speed
cruise still needs to be better understood, but I am certainly not
falling out of the sky or falling far behind.

At some point I would like to get a top comp pilot in the seat and see
what it can really do.

I think this sailplane is going to really do well, it sure has met my
goals!

Brad
Old June 30th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Jun 29, 7:45*pm, Brad wrote:
On Jun 29, 5:32*pm, Mike C wrote:

On Jun 29, 1:19*pm, Brad wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:59*am, Mike C wrote:

[...]

I am interested in knowing what sailplanes you have flown with to
check the Tetra's sink rate and at what speed range you were flying.

How does she do at 80 knots and above?

I never thought about the Tetra as a modern competition ship because
it was never advertised as being one.

Mike
Old June 30th 12, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jun 29, 7:42*pm, Mike C wrote:
On Jun 29, 7:45*pm, Brad wrote:

On Jun 29, 5:32*pm, Mike C wrote:

On Jun 29, 1:19*pm, Brad wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:59*am, Mike C wrote:

[...]

Well, no...............the ship was designed using the best racing
tech of the 80's.............that being said the ships I've flown with
were just those ships. That's why I would like to see this design
flown by a competition pilot flying against a wide selection of
sailplanes.

Someone said that the hot comp pilots could do extremely well flying
LS-1F sailplanes. I think the HP-24 would do very well.

80 and above.............it moves!

Brad

Old July 3rd 12, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 6/29/2012 11:50 AM, Dave Springford wrote:
The Duckhawk did not win the 15 m Nationals, an ASG-29 piloted by a
non US citizen won the contest - the Duckhawk had the top ranked US
pilot in the contest, but placed second.

This is a great achievement for the manufacturer and designer, but
let's keep the facts straight please.

The Contest Summary on the SSA website lists Jerzy with the rank of "G"
and Chip with a rank of "1". Would it be reasonable to say Jerzy flew as
a guest but not an entrant, and therefore can not win the 15 Meter
Nationals?

We all agree Jerzy did score the highest, but I think it is completely
factual to answer the question "Who won the 2012 15 Meter Nationals?"
with the statement "Chip Garner in the DuckHawk".

email me)

Old July 6th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, June 29, 2012 12:07:18 PM UTC-5, John Bentley wrote:
With the Duck Hawk now having won the 15 meter Nationals and with an
outstanding performance in the open class nationals, and now looking
to win the 18 meter Nationals you would think that the US Soaring Team
would want to fill its ranks with Duck Hawks and show the world that a
small US company can kick ass. Why not? Why do we buy our goods from
China and our sailplanes from Europe? When will the committee open
there eyes and see what is right in their face?

well 'looking to win' turned into 2nd place by 19 points but still a fine showing by the 15 meter Duckhawk and pilot Chip Garner in the 18 meter nationals. Now i'm having nightmares that he will show up at the 13.5 meter regionals with a sparrowhawk!!!