Next step(s) in purchase?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 23rd 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson

Default Next step(s) in purchase?

Hello, R.A.O.!

I'm returning to the well, hoping to continue a trend. If you recall (or
care to research) the messages I've posted over the last year or so, you'll
find I've been getting some great advice and stimulating discussion on
selecting an airplane (my first). After considering all inputs and my own
desires & mission, I've decided to go for... the TB-20 Socata "Trinidad."

So, for the last several months, I've been electronically kicking tires of
the various examples I've seen online. I've been exercising the patience
everyone here agreed I'd need (about the only thing in wide agreement!), but
now I've seen one that I'm ready to take the next step(s) on (read:
actually spend money on travel, pre-buy, etc.). I hardly know where to
begin, so I'm hoping to continue on the goodwill of the group. (Besides, I
hear Jay is throwing a hell of a party at OSH, so I'd better hurry up & pay
the cover charge! )

Here are the things I "think" I need to do, in what I "think" is appropriate
chronological order. Process stops at any step that results in a no-go.
Comments, changes, additions, deletions--all are welcome, please!!

In progress:
1) Gather as much info about make/model as I can & refine desired
traits--ongoing
2) Find one for sale meeting desires & contact seller, get further info,
etc.--ongoing
3) Initiate financing--started today (HEL seems best, but any contrary
opinions here?)
------------------
Next:
4) Contact AOPA buyer services--"soon"; not sure what they can/can't do for
me
5) Get specific insurance quotes--"soon"; I have a general idea from
earlier quote, I just need to update them
------------------
To follow: (here's where I'm really lost)
6) Arrange for pre-buy--ASAP, but at least a week or so (?) before
traveling
7) Travel--when ready on both ends
7a) Inspect logs
7b) Pre-buy inspection
7c) Test flight--who pays for this? any specific maneuvers, etc., to
run through?
7d) Negotiate price--I have NO idea how to do this, any hints
appreciated!
8) Arrange for escrow--ASAP; can/should I do this ahead of #7??
9) Get 5 hours time-in-type dual (insurance rqmt, and not a bad idea in my
book anyway)--considering options here, hoping I can find someplace to do
this ahead of time
10) Fund escrow, close escrow, fly home!

As I say, this is my impression right now--I'm sure there's any number of
improvements that can be made. Bring 'em on!

Additional questions:
#6: Anyone w/ advice on whom to approach for the pre-buy? Airplane is in
New England region (Hartford, CT).
#9: Any advice/suggestions on where I can do this? I live in Colorado
Springs; I'm willing to travel if I must, but closer is better (read:
cheaper). Perhaps somewhere near Hartford would work well, since I may be
traveling there anyway. Note, this point really isn't tied to this specific
airplane, since it will carry to whatever plane I finally go with (unless I
change my target).

Thanks for any help!
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Step climbs Mxsmanic Piloting 56 March 2nd 07 05:17 PM
Diana-2 : next step Yurek Soaring 7 June 20th 05 07:29 PM
Step away from the cake, ma'am Chris Piloting 25 December 22nd 04 02:48 PM
Flying on the step? [email protected] Piloting 30 November 3rd 04 01:06 AM
Step-up Planning O. Sami Saydjari Owning 24 October 4th 04 04:04 AM