PowerFLARM parameters for Silver badge?

Old March 6th 15, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

Default PowerFLARM parameters for Silver badge?

On the PowerFLARM site, there's a form to fill out to set up the PowerFLARM for IGC (as below).

Can anyone tell me what the required fields are for a solo badge flight?

thanks, bob

IGC Settings:
Settings for the IGC flight recorder. Parts of these settings are stored in the igc files, generated by the device. If your device does not support flight recording, these settings have no effect.
Log Interval:
Pilot Name:
CoPilot Name:
Glider ID:
Glider Type:
Competition ID:
Competition Class:

http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...e-configurator

Old March 6th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 15:18 06 March 2015, Richard wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 7:13:06 AM UTC-8, Bob Pasker wrote:
On the PowerFLARM site, there's a form to fill out to set up the

PowerFLARM for IGC (as below).

Can anyone tell me what the required fields are for a solo badge flight?

All badge flights have to be solo ;¬)

thanks, bob

IGC Settings:
Settings for the IGC flight recorder. Parts of these settings are

stored
in the igc files, generated by the device. If your device does not

support
flight recording, these settings have no effect.
Log Interval:
Pilot Name:
CoPilot Name:
Glider ID:
Glider Type:
Competition ID:
Competition Class:

http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...e-configurator

Pilot Name:

Glider ID:
Glider Type:
Competition ID:
Competition Class

As well to set the Log Interval. A value of 10 seconds should be OK. You
can always initiate 60 fast fixes (1 second intervals) by using the PEV
function. Useful when you reach a Waypoint.

Tim.

Old March 6th 15, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

Glider ID:
Glider Type:
Competition ID:
Competition Class

what are the competition ID and competition Class? are these things in some document somewhere?

As well to set the Log Interval. A value of 10 seconds should be OK. You
can always initiate 60 fast fixes (1 second intervals) by using the PEV
function. Useful when you reach a Waypoint.

is there an authoritative source for the log Interval?

Old March 6th 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

From the Sporting Code:

4.2.1 Declaration content
a. Date of flight.
b. Name of the pilot-in-command, and the flight crew if any.
c. Glider type, and its registration or serial number or unique NAC-assigned contest number.
d. The make, model and serial number of the FR used (as recorded in the .igc file for the flight). For any barograph or PR used, the make, model, and serial number as verified by the OO before flight.
Additional content for distance and speed flights:
e. Way points and, for a closed course, the sequence to be flown. When any way point is declared using a word description, abbreviation, or code with coordinates, the coordinates are definitive. When only a word description, abbreviation, or code is used to declare a way point, its coordinates must be taken from a published source designated by the NAC.

Further:

4.2 DECLARATION REQUIREMENTS
All flights require a pre-flight declaration except straight distance badge flights using only a barograph for verification. Only the most recent declaration is the valid one.
a. For record flights, the declaration must be input to a FR and appear in its .igc file.
b. For badge flights, the declaration shall be input to a FR and appear in its .igc file or be written, either on a single sheet of paper or transmitted via the internet. If the latter, the pilot shall e-mail the OO or input to a NAC-approved website. The declaration time shall be the time that the e-mail is received by the OO or the website. See Annex C-3.5 for notes on internet-based declarations.
c. For any straight distance flight claimed from release to the landing or to a finish fix, the relevant details of 4.2.1 shall be certified by the OO..
d. If the pilot or glider information is omitted or incorrect in the FR declaration for a Silver or Gold badge flight, the OO certificate required by 5.2.4 shall take precedence.
e. When more than one FR is used, they must have identical flight task data input, and if one fails, the other becomes the direct replacement.
f. A written declaration shall be retained by the OO and submitted with other claim materials.

You can use the online tool at http://www.segelflug-software.de/flarmcfg/ to generate a declaration which is input to your PowerFLARM by the resulting flarmcfg.txt file. There is also a stand-alone tool also available (for Windows) - http://www.segelflug-software.de/prod_flarmcfgtool.html - you can change the waypoints file for your local ones.

2D

Old March 6th 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

what are the competition ID and competition Class? are these things in some document somewhere?

IGC Sporting Code 3 para 6.5
http://www.fai.org/igc-documents select "Sporting Code Section 3 - Edition 2014"

is there an authoritative source for the log Interval?

IGC Sporting Code 3 Annex C para 6.6
http://www.fai.org/igc-documents select "Annex C"

Old March 6th 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

thanks. unfortunately, i cant fill out the form until I know all the parameters, and that won't happen till I'm at the airport

Old March 6th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 11:05:18 AM UTC-5, Bob Pasker wrote:
thanks. unfortunately, i cant fill out the form until I know all the parameters, and that won't happen till I'm at the airport

Similar problem at our club - 3 flarm-fitted club gliders. Members fill out multiple declarations, and use the one for the glider they fly. The flarmcfg - Tool is very easy to use. The type of glider and registration should be available. Class is important for records only. For PowerFLARM, 4 seconds gives a nice looking trace and keeps data records smaller. The declaration is last - this is our club std 50 km flight (takeoff, start, turnpoint, finish, landing) for a 100km out and return). Creating it takes only a few seconds... Keep all in folders for each a/c (or have a different USB stick for each) and move a single flarmcfg.txt file to the highest level of the stick. Insert into usb slot, turn on, let load, go fly, download file, bask in the adulation of your peers.

Here's what the output of the flarm tool looks like; note, it doesn't change flarm or transponder settings - only declaration things.

//FLARM configuration file created with flarmcfg - Tool
//�2009-2011 powered by www.Segelflug-Software.de
//am: 23/02/2014 um 10:06:23 AM

//Pilot Name
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Daniel Daly

//Co-Pilot Name
$PFLAC,S,COPIL,

//Aircraft Type
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,SZD 55

// Aircraft registration
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,C-GXDD

//Competition ID
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,2D

//Competition class
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,Club

//Logger interval
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4

//Task declaration
$PFLAC,S,NEWTASK,silver d
$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4529250N,07505650W,01Pendle
$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4529250N,07505650W,01Pendle
$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4538383N,07422217W,80Lachut

Old March 6th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 7:13:06 AM UTC-8, Bob Pasker wrote:
On the PowerFLARM site, there's a form to fill out to set up the PowerFLARM for IGC (as below).

Can anyone tell me what the required fields are for a solo badge flight?

thanks, bob

IGC Settings:
Settings for the IGC flight recorder. Parts of these settings are stored in the igc files, generated by the device. If your device does not support flight recording, these settings have no effect.
Log Interval:
Pilot Name:
CoPilot Name:
Glider ID:
Glider Type:
Competition ID:
Competition Class:

http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...e-configurator

Try playing with the electronic declaration, but you really should just do a paper declaration (dated/timed later than any electronic one). I would have hoped an experienced OO already would have suggested that to you... finding a competent OO is important and they should provide you with useful help and guidance.