Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Old January 15th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Mxsmanic wrote:

Sam Spade writes:

Gosh, I wish you would submit your resume to the FAA. Then, you could
be the boss of TERPS and get these credits for little narrow lakes
applied and forget the big friggen mountains a bit further out, you
numbskull.

The big mountains might or might not be a problem, depending on the aircraft.

Your judgment differs from the FAA's. Why don't you go argue with them:

http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=nfpo/west
Old January 15th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

Your judgment differs from the FAA's.

I haven't seen an opinion from the FAA.
Old January 15th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:
Sam Spade writes:

Your judgment differs from the FAA's.

I haven't seen an opinion from the FAA.

I believe a judgment is different than an opinion. They denied an ODP
into those mountains; that is a fact. So go argue with them numbnuts.
Old January 15th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 15, 6:34*am, Sam Spade wrote:

I didn't say anything about 200 feet per mile in this thread.- Hide quoted text -

Then I must have mixed the thread up with someone else.

-Robert
Old January 15th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 15, 4:22*am, wrote:
I believe the rule is that if there is a departure procedure
published, fly the departure procedure.

The procedure has to be published for your runway. So in our sim guys
case he could have made up his own departure because the runway he was
using does not have a published departure procedure. To my knowledge
there are no non-towered airports that prohibit IFR departures from a
certain runway.

-Robert
Old January 15th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 15, 4:33*am, wrote:

You're partially right on the second one. *I don't fly ifr GA in light
aircraft.

I didn't realize it was so prevalent, and considered a safe maneuvre.

Its probably most common when pilots are leaving their home field. My
airport does not have any IFR procedures at all. When I depart IFR I
only have to consider if I believe I can be VMC before I enter class
E. If I don't think the clouds are that high I don't need any
clearance at all, just throttle up and launch.

-Robert

Old January 15th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

Contrary to the static you are getting, you asking exactly the right
question.
Those who don't investigate such things run into stuff.

A great reference to how the procedures are constructed is
Eckalbar "IFR A Structured Approach" chapter 9. It discuses
what "standard" is. How far is it assumed that you climb straight
ahead when departing? It's all covered.

For fun, look at the Sand Point ID approach plate. Can you depart
this
place safely with a 900' ceiling in your Bonanza? How would you do
it?

Bill Hale BPPP instructor
Old January 16th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Viperdoc wrote:
I can just see some guy at a FSDO listening to Anthony explain how he knows
everything about flying, based upon all of his hours playing a computer
game, and why there should be a DP for a specific runway based upon his
gaming experience.

Perhaps Anthony should complain to the NTSB about the lack of a DP that he
understands?

Better yet, his Congressman.
Old January 16th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Robert M. Gary wrote:
..

The procedure has to be published for your runway. So in our sim guys
case he could have made up his own departure because the runway he was
using does not have a published departure procedure. To my knowledge
there are no non-towered airports that prohibit IFR departures from a
certain runway.

-Robert

Sure there are, but for Part 91 it is iffy. If I am operating Part 135
IFR out of Big Bear, I better damn well not use Runway 26 unless I get a
VFR climb clearance from center.