Region 10 North Results

Old May 28th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Region 10 North Results

How is it going at Region 10 North? The SSA site does not have
results from any of the days.
Old May 28th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On May 28, 8:27*am, lanebush wrote:
How is it going at Region 10 North? *The SSA site does not have
results from any of the days.

Tough weather. After day 1,

Combined Std-15-18
Ken Sorenson, 944 points
Steve Vihlen, 816 points
Steve Leonard, 747 points

Sports
Tim McAllister, 964 points
Curt Lewis, 902 points
Duane Eisenbeiss, 793 points

Day 2 was no completions, so all distance. Our scorer had to go home
before everyone got things turned in. Sometimes, these things
happen. Will try to get scoresheets posted today. Sorry about the
delay.

Steve Leonard
Old May 28th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On May 28, 9:41*am, Steve Leonard wrote:
On May 28, 8:27*am, lanebush wrote:

How is it going at Region 10 North? *The SSA site does not have
results from any of the days.

Tough weather. *After day 1,

Combined Std-15-18
Ken Sorenson, 944 points
Steve Vihlen, 816 points
Steve Leonard, 747 points

Sports
Tim McAllister, 964 points
Curt Lewis, 902 points
Duane Eisenbeiss, 793 points

Day 2 was no completions, so all distance. *Our scorer had to go home
before everyone got things turned in. *Sometimes, these things
happen. *Will try to get scoresheets posted today. *Sorry about the
delay.

Steve Leonard

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the WX will improve.
Old June 8th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

How is it going at Region 10 North? *The SSA site does not have
results from any of the days.

The contest went well. We had a huge learning experience for our
club. At the end of the week, we really felt as if we had reached
"senior" club status. 'Bout dang time we had an official race after 6
decades of being a club!! We were plagued with thunderstorms
throughout the entire week. However, our of 8 days (2 practice and 6
contest) we had cross country flying on 6 of the 8. 1 day we did not
fly at all, the other day we had local flying of which Ken Sorenson
almost made it around the course.

I personally learned a huge amount.

First lesson learned: If you land out on day 1, don't give up! Others
ahead of you on the list may land out later in the contest which will
balance out the scores. I made the mistake of taking my foot off the
gas pedal and not going for broke after I had landed out.

Second lesson learned: when participating in a local contest, prepare
for extra distractions. I was driving to and from my club which is a
1 hour and 45 minute drive each day. Changing diapers in the middle
of the night after flying, driving, assembling and disassembling can
be highly tiresome.

Third lesson learned: Learn how to read a friggin' map! Going to
multiple control points on a MAT doesn't do you ANY darn bit of
good!!!! Argh!

Fourth lesson learned: Follow the likely looking clouds EVEN if they
are over unlikely areas of terrain. Some pilots ventured out over the
flat land that had been subject to massive thunderstorms and was still
very very wet. They went that way because the clouds looked so good,
and it paid dividends.

Overall we had a grand time.

Here's a video we shot from the contest, it pretty much sums it up.
Hope you enjoy the music from Memphis, TN's favorite son.

Region 10 North Race Report part 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwC-H...eature=channel

Region 10 North Race Report part 2 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5O4AW5bQS4

Lane - your coming to party with us at our next contest whether you
like it or not! Don't worry we'll have one of our club doctors give
you a sick note and make you our guest of honor in an effort to twist
your arm REAL hard!