see four-point sockets

Old January 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default see four-point sockets

I USE "FARMER BOLTS' !!!

And they're damn hard to find these days. Of course, I use 'em on a
ship that was designed 103 years ago... I use 8-point sockets or a
cresent wrench on them, but they're 10-32 & 1/4" and pretty easy to get
at.

Harry

Roger wrote:
On 3 Jan 2006 11:39:10 -0800, wrote:

four point (square) sockets (and/or wrenches)

who makes them, who retails 'em?

Who on an aviation group uses "FARMER BOLTS" :-))

Old January 6th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default see 5-point sockets

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote

Bad air from oxygen depletion or hydrogen sulphide and explosive
vapors are a much more imminent hazard, and all you need to do to get
killed by them is climb inside without testing and ventilating the
space first.

Yep, there is a reason you need a permit to climb down into such places.
There are dangers that can kill, if you do not have the proper training.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 6th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,rec.aviation.homebuilt

You have a few in your socket set. I had to remove a square head pipe plug
so I put the 1/4" Allen driver bit into the ratchet and then put the 1/4"
socket on it backwards so you are driving with the part that normally goes
on the ratchet. It will work for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" with the adapters in
most socket sets.

"Roger" wrote in message
On 3 Jan 2006 11:39:10 -0800, wrote:

four point (square) sockets (and/or wrenches)

who makes them, who retails 'em?

Who on an aviation group uses "FARMER BOLTS" :-))
I've never see a 4-pt socket, but open end wrences work well. Usually
the bolt is of such quality you can plan on twisting it off rather
then getting the nut off.

Good luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 7th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:15:09 -0500, Roger
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:37:32 -0500, Roger
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:46:26 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Roger :
On 3 Jan 2006 11:39:10 -0800,
wrote:

four point (square) sockets (and/or wrenches)

who makes them, who retails 'em?

Taht takes a good "Monkey Wrench". I haven't ween one of those for
years either. I think every really old Ford came with one.

Good GAWD, I need a new keyboard, or should get a good night's sleep
before trying to type. Either that or I should quit drinking Vernors
while trying to type.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Chuckle..I have at least 3 monkey wrenchs in use in my shop. One an
actual Stillson.

I use them to tighten machine vises, not having the proper handle, etc
etc

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,