A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

1-34 Fuselage Drain Holes

Old May 12th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc
external usenet poster

Default 1-34 Fuselage Drain Holes

Our club 1-34 lives outside, and during heavy rains will accumulate some water in the fuselage. There appear to be no drain holes in the bottom of the fuselage. Is there supposed to be a drain in there?

If not is there an approved method of adding these?

Peter
Old May 12th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 11:09:23 AM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
Our club 1-34 lives outside, and during heavy rains will accumulate some water in the fuselage. There appear to be no drain holes in the bottom of the fuselage. Is there supposed to be a drain in there?

If not is there an approved method of adding these?

Peter

Using a step drill, create about 1/4 diameter drain hole in front of bulkhead where water collects. Do this off center line so as to not affect lap joint.
I doubt your inspector will have a concern about this. Ours didn't.
UH

Old May 12th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 12:20:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Using a step drill, create about 1/4 diameter drain hole in front of bulkhead where water collects.

Or, behind if the water is moving forward to get to the bulkhead! I have seen gliders with drain holes in the fabric always to the right of the rib. I guess this was a "left wing low" glider!

But, yes, to Hank's advice. Add a small hole where appropriate. And quarter inch sounds about right to me, too.
Old May 12th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 1:48:53 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:

Using a step drill, create about 1/4 diameter drain hole in front of bulkhead where water collects.

Or, behind if the water is moving forward to get to the bulkhead! I have seen gliders with drain holes in the fabric always to the right of the rib. I guess this was a "left wing low" glider!

But, yes, to Hank's advice. Add a small hole where appropriate. And quarter inch sounds about right to me, too.

And FWIW, make sure that the "maintenance guy/gal" for that ship keeps them clean. A number of our club gliders have drain holes in various places that get plugged up pretty regularly. Spoiler boxes on a particular glass two place leap to mind.
Old May 12th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 1:33:41 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 1:48:53 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:

And FWIW, make sure that the "maintenance guy/gal" for that ship keeps them clean. A number of our club gliders have drain holes in various places that get plugged up pretty regularly. Spoiler boxes on a particular glass two place leap to mind.

Sounds like I'll need to talk to our A&P to put some carefully placed drain holes in there. Talked to Kyle at K&L when I ordered the replacement release return spring, and he said that they have no "official" method of doing this. So I guess it's a mod IAW AC43.13 then.

Peter