DIY ignition shielding?

Old September 10th 03, 11:06 AM
Michael Horowitz

Default DIY ignition shielding?

Folks - First time use of a handheld around my Tcraft. Flipped the
prop and turned on the handheld (using an external ant. mounted below
my feet) and the magneto noise became very apparent. My instructor/A&P
immediately advised that I get a shielded harness and plugs, which
would run about $300. Seems to me that a home-brew solution would be
possible.

Is anyone aware of anyone having done this successfully?

There seem to be two issues to be addressed: shielding the plug and
shielding the cable. I think I can do the latter with shielding taken
off a suitable diameter piece of coax. The question then becomes "How
to shield the plugs?"

Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike
Old September 10th 03, 11:50 AM
George A. Graham

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Michael Horowitz wrote:

"How to shield the plugs?"

I read that Volkswagen sells cheap steel spark plug sheilds, which
were sold on the Rabbit. Let us know when you find them please.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old September 11th 03, 01:14 AM
Edward Schrom

I had the same problem in my Aircamper. I went to Radio Shack and bought an
automotive scanner antenna and the makings for a 10-ft coax cable with the
correct fittings for the antenna and the radio. (Jim Weir says to use a
particular type of cable; I don't remember the number.) I shoved the antenna
as far aft inside the fuselage as I could reach. Didn't even attach it to
anything, just laid it on the plywood and tacked down the cable here and
there with duct tape just to make it stay put.

In conjunction with a headset it actually works pretty well. Not perfectly
(I still hear a little noise), but pretty well. Other people say they hear
me loud and clear. I'd like to make a cleaner job of it someday but since
it's working at the moment it has dropped several notches on the punch list.

Of course what makes it possible to keep the antenna inside is that it's a
wooden airplane.

Ed

Old September 11th 03, 04:28 AM
William T Bartlett

The wire shielding is made from ground strap, it's available everywhere/. It
is braided tubing pressed flat. Just squeeze it and it opens up, then push
on it lengthwise and it gets bigger. Run your wire threw it and pull it
tight. Someone makes little cans that the unsheilded plugs go in and take
the shielded wire. If you want I'll find out who. I don't go to this list
often, so email me direct.
bill

Electronic Ignition Andre Home Built 1 September 5th 03 06:15 PM
Ignition Exciter Wiring Juan E Jimenez Home Built 0 August 31st 03 06:03 AM
WTB: Ignition Exciter Juan E Jimenez Home Built 0 August 27th 03 08:09 PM
Wright Flyer Ignition Dan Thomas Home Built 6 July 22nd 03 03:45 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM