Generating the Juice

Old September 10th 03, 06:29 AM
terra

Default Generating the Juice

I want to describe a clever generator here, and hear what you people think of
this idea.

To begin, you should understand that a large coil placed high in the Earth's
magnetic field is capable of creating very high voltage. As the lines of
magnetic flux travel out from one pole toward the other, the flux moves through
the conductor creating the EMF that forces electrons to flow. I believe that, in
fact, such an experimental apparatus could have been responsible for causing the
recent East coast power outage. A very large conductor may have been placed high
on a tower in the Earth's magnetic field and connected to the power distribution
grid, overloading the system.

My generator uses the magnetic field surrounding a bar magnet, which is
essentially what the Earth is. A coil of wire, simply placed next to the magnet,
is acted upon by the flow of flux and produces endless electricity. This
generator needs no additional outside power, no fuel, and uses NO moving parts.
It is the movement of the very flux *itself* through the conductor that induces
current to flow!

This is a simple device, and the brief description I provided pretty well covers
the basics. If you want to learn the details about how this works, just ask.

All advice and comments are appreciated.
Thank you,

-Garfield-

Old September 10th 03, 07:12 AM

:
[...]

For your large coil to produce electricity, it must move relative to
the magnetic lines of force. What you describe will make a tiny,
tiney amount of electricity because the entire magnetic field of the
earth is slowly shifting relative to the crust and thus relative to
your coil.

OTOH, if you were to put your coil in low earth orbit, moving about
25,000 miles an hour, it would generate a LOT of electricity. And a
lot of drag as it breaks the lines of force, so it wouldn't stay in
orbit long.

If you don't believe me, test it. Buy a large, powerful magnet. Wrap
a coil, attach the ends to an amp meter and put the coil next to the
magnet. Nothing. Move the coil, you get a reading. Put it down,
nothing.

You can get a high voltage potential off a high tower (or off a
tethered balloon) but it's a static charge, there's no amperage behind
it. See http://f3wm.free.fr/sciences/jefimenko.html or search Google
for "corona motor" or "electrostatic motor."

==
My name is Nobody
Old September 11th 03, 02:26 AM
CSA722

I want to describe a clever generator here, and hear what you people think of
this idea.

Snake oil
Old September 11th 03, 06:35 AM
terra

terra wrote:
I want to describe a clever generator here, and hear what you people think of
this idea.

Thanks everybody, even CSA722. The idea isn't really mine, and I wanted to see
how some other aviation-oriented people would respond to it. I'm an A&P student
and (I'm wincing while writing this) my Electrical Theory instructor dropped
this bomb on the class. I've become known as the guy who always badgers the
instructor because I disagree with him constantly, but now it's time to just let
things go. He's had enough of me.

I expected to see some scoffing here, but I got some really pleasant replies. I
could have done a lot better at persuading "Garfield" that he's wrong about some
things. I simply pushed. Naturally, he pushed back. I failed.

Old September 11th 03, 04:07 PM
Russell Kent

Barnyard BOb -- wrote to "terra":

Look at the bright side.....
I didn't get on your case. g

Slacker. :-)

Russell Kent

Old September 11th 03, 05:44 PM
Jay

You'd have to move the wire in the circuit across the lines of flux,
and this would take work, because the magnetic field would resist the
motion.

If you'd like, do the experiment, loft 10,000 miles of copper wire
into orbit, them put your VOM across the ends, now using a tiny
spaceship, move the wire with a componant normal the the lines of
flux, see the needle deflect.

One of the great things about fresh eyes on a problem is they haven't
accepted all the assumptions that everyone else has already made, so
you really get some out of the box ideas.

What about that tide powered generator idea. Use the force of the
moon's gravitational field to lift water. At low tide, release the
water through turbines and generate some electricity. Although if you
did this enough, the moon would eventually become one with the earth.
=^(

Old September 11th 03, 07:11 PM
Rich S.

"Jay" wrote in message
m...
What about that tide powered generator idea. Use the force of the
moon's gravitational field to lift water. At low tide, release the
water through turbines and generate some electricity. Although if you
did this enough, the moon would eventually become one with the earth.
=^(

And........ What will happen if you don't do it?

Rich "The Sky is falling!" S.

Old September 11th 03, 07:13 PM
Rich S.

"karel adams" wrote in message
... Nothing new about this
idea.
There is such a powerplant in French Britanny (Bretagne)
And only a few miles from here there's a grain
mill on the same principle - several centuries old...

So if the Sky falls on us, it's the fault of the French?
;-p

Rich "I knew they were up to no good!" S.

Old September 11th 03, 08:51 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I simply pushed. Naturally, he pushed back. I failed.

This isn't the same Garfield that used to hang out here, 4 or 5 years ago,
is it?

He was loony tunes, then. - Morgans

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heh, heh...

Whutz the odds of TWO looney toons Garfields?
About the same as... TWO Barnyard BObs?

Barnyard BOb --

Old September 11th 03, 09:11 PM
Morgans

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

I simply pushed. Naturally, he pushed back. I failed.

This isn't the same Garfield that used to hang out here, 4 or 5 years

ago,
is it?

He was loony tunes, then. - Morgans

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heh, heh...

Whutz the odds of TWO looney toons Garfields?
About the same as... TWO Barnyard BObs?

Barnyard BOb --

Believe it or not........

I would rather there be two of you, than him.

I can't believe I just said that.

"And a descending sickness over came him"
--
Jim in NC