A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

Old January 29th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

Does IGCDroid (or Glidetrack for that matter) buffer status messages and send them when it has a data connection?

I haven't flown with Glidetrack yet, but often when I take a picture I will see No Service on the phone. So I may weave in and out of service on a flight. I'm just curious if the reported track is like a SPOT in that a missed message is gone forever or if the reportings are backfilled once a data connection is available.

Thanks,

Morgan

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 1:24:10 PM UTC-8, Daniel Dyck wrote:
Thanks a bunch! I will definitely make good use of this!

Old January 29th 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 4:02:46 PM UTC-7, Morgan wrote:
Does IGCDroid (or Glidetrack for that matter) buffer status messages and send them when it has a data connection?

I haven't flown with Glidetrack yet, but often when I take a picture I will see No Service on the phone. So I may weave in and out of service on a flight. I'm just curious if the reported track is like a SPOT in that a missed message is gone forever or if the reportings are backfilled once a data connection is available.

Thanks,

Morgan

Yes, both programs buffer data. They use very similar algorithms internally.

When cell coverage is good, GPS positions are buffered and blocks of data are sent to the GlidePort.aero server approx every 1 minute.

In areas of bad coverage data continues to be buffered and the send attempts slow down to not drain the phone battery trying to contact non existant cell towers. All the data is sent when you regain coverage.

The end result is you can get sending delays which depend upon cell coverage but you always get full detailed position data sent to the server.

There is also some delay in getting server data out to your web browsers.

What I typically saw watching my tester's fly was 5m delays. The delay stretched to 30mins at time.

Alan

Old January 30th 15, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 26/01/2015 20:55, kiwiindenver wrote:

Now your Android device can automatically record your flight and keep ground crew and friends updated in near real-time.

I have been doing this for over 2 years years with XCSoar + Skylines
Live Tracking.

http://www.xcsoar.org/
https://www.skylines.aero/tracking/

Both free services running on GPL software. XCSoar also records an IGC
file that is accepted by OLC.

Ian

Old January 30th 15, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks for the details Alan. As I don't have an android device with a data plan I'll have to give Glidetrack a try, but I like the simplicity approach you've gone with. I'll forward your link to our club. We have a number of people running Android phones that would probably use this.

Morgan

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 3:25:54 PM UTC-8, kiwiindenver wrote:
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 4:02:46 PM UTC-7, Morgan wrote:

Thanks,

Morgan

Yes, both programs buffer data. They use very similar algorithms internally.

When cell coverage is good, GPS positions are buffered and blocks of data are sent to the GlidePort.aero server approx every 1 minute.

In areas of bad coverage data continues to be buffered and the send attempts slow down to not drain the phone battery trying to contact non existant cell towers. All the data is sent when you regain coverage.

The end result is you can get sending delays which depend upon cell coverage but you always get full detailed position data sent to the server.

There is also some delay in getting server data out to your web browsers.

What I typically saw watching my tester's fly was 5m delays. The delay stretched to 30mins at time.

Alan

Old January 30th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barry Hendy
external usenet poster

I have loaded it up and would like to try it, but it consistently crashes when I try and enter my email account name for GlidePort.

I use Real-time GPS for live tracking sarwatch but having live tracking and igc in one would be nice.

Hopefully just a teething issue...

Barry.
Old January 30th 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:56:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Hendy wrote:
I have loaded it up and would like to try it, but it consistently crashes when I try and enter my email account name for GlidePort.

I use Real-time GPS for live tracking sarwatch but having live tracking and igc in one would be nice.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Sorry you had this issue. I want to fix any issues ASAP.

I will send you some debug instructions offline.

Alan

Old January 30th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:56:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Hendy wrote:

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Google sent me a crash report.

It is complaining that the OS function to pick an email address is not found.

Do you have email setup on your phone? IGCDroid is trying to open your email contacts to select the GlidePort.aero email address.

Alan
Old January 31st 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

So if I am reading this correctly, I can pay a $10 one time fee to activate this on my android.

This gives me full tracking on glideport.aero for safety in an emergency.

By doing this I can keep my Inreach year round on the $12 a month safety package so I
will still have 2 way satellite messaging if necessary.

How "often" do traces update on glideport.aero via this app? The package I subscribed to with inreach was every 10 minutes as it became very expensive for the 5 and 1 minute data packages.
Old January 31st 15, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

Yes. That is correct.

IGCDroid updates every minute provided you have cell coverage. Typical server delays result in a 5 min delay. No annual service fee. The update is also a full trace not just a single position.

InReach and spot use satellite coverage, so can send status in remote areas with no cell coverage. I can't.

As I said earlier, better AND worse.

As others said, xcsoar+skylines is totally free. Your choice.

My plan is to use IGCDroid for everyday comms and a PLB for real emergencies. PLB is better than spot for real search and rescue.

What I loose not having spot is casual comma in non cell coverage areas.

Alan
Old January 31st 15, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

The cell based solutions are great but I see them complimentary to spot/inreach, and not a replacement. Spot/inreach are pretty consistent in sending updates in fix intervals, typically 10 min, while cell based may have long gaps especially if you fly high or in the desert such as in western US. More importantly, in the event of a crash where the pilot is incapacitated, spot/inreach may continue sending your location, or at least show your last location shortly before the crash.

Ramy